Front Door Gasket Routing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been trying to get the front doors on my HJ45 to properly close. The PO had replaced the gaskets that seal the door to the body and I'm thinking that the were improperly positioned making it very difficult to close the doors. I've removed the gaskets and the doors appear to close fine with enough clearance to accommodate a gasket. If anyone has a photo of where the gasket should be positioned along the edge of the door, I would greatly appreciate if you could post it.

There should be a pretty natural place for OEM gaskets to sit. If the PO used aftermarket gaskets, or 'gasket on a roll', it could be tougher. I replaced my '78 FJ40 gaskets with OEM ones, and for a few days the doors had to be slammed pretty hard and/or you have to back off the door striker so that the doors will close at all.

After trying various aftermarket gaskets, I have concluded that OEM is the only way to go.

Can you post a picture of the gasket (close up) and where it's currently sitting?

Not much of a pic but this is on my ‘63 FJ45.
IMG_3238.JPG

The doors close adequately.
IMG_3105.JPG

This is what I used Front Door Seal Weatherstrips for '73 to '74 Land Cruiser FJ40 - https://www.cityracerllc.com/products/front-door-seal-weatherstrips-for-73-to-74-land-cruiser-fj40?_pos=7&_sid=8d013114e&_ss=r. There‘s a good picture at that link of the install. These need to be modified to fit the early bug catcher window‘d doors by cutting off the top run of the seal and attaching it to the door frame rather than the door.

There should be a pretty natural place for OEM gaskets to sit. If the PO used aftermarket gaskets, or 'gasket on a roll', it could be tougher. I replaced my '78 FJ40 gaskets with OEM ones, and for a few days the doors had to be slammed pretty hard and/or you have to back off the door striker so that the doors will close at all.

After trying various aftermarket gaskets, I have concluded that OEM is the only way to go.

Can you post a picture of the gasket (close up) and where it's currently sitting?
Can't post the location of the gaskets as I have already removed them. They are molded gaskets but probably not OEM as the PO seemed to always go the cheapest route. I did follow the link that middlecalf provided to City Racer (Thanks middlecalf). They have some good photos of their gaskets installed Front Door Seal Weatherstrips for '75 to '84 Land Cruiser FJ40 - https://www.cityracerllc.com/collections/land-cruiser-40-and-55-series/products/front-door-seal-weatherstrips-for-land-cruiser-fj40-lh-and-rh My gaskets look different than theirs but my position appears to have been the same as in their photos - right at the edge of the door. I took a closer look and there appears only one place where alternate routing is feasible and that is along the edge of the door on the striker side. Using double-sided tape, I may try moving the gasket inboard. to see if that helps.

I used the CCOT "best" weather stripping for my doors. They do not want to shut and it has been 2 months. I actually have not done passenger door yet, thinking I might try something different on that side. I called them and there is nothing special about the job, it just takes a while for the ws to compact. My window guy confirmed this, said old cars it takes a while when you replace it. I also trimmed mine in the jam by the hinges where it binds up the most, no help. I also messed with my hinges and latches a ton, no help. 🤷‍♂️

I used the CCOT "best" weather stripping for my doors. They do not want to shut and it has been 2 months. I actually have not done passenger door yet, thinking I might try something different on that side. I called them and there is nothing special about the job, it just takes a while for the ws to compact. My window guy confirmed this, said old cars it takes a while when you replace it. I also trimmed mine in the jam by the hinges where it binds up the most, no help. I also messed with my hinges and latches a ton, no help. 🤷‍♂️
How close is the latch coming to closing all of the way? I fought having to slam doors before I ended up replacing the latches that mount to the door frame and door jamb.

I replaced both latches. I have to slam the door really hard to get it to close properly and then it is difficult to open as there is so much pressure on the latch. I think this excessive pressure was the cause of the old latches failing. The existing gaskets have been in place for at least the two years that I have owned the truck so they have had ample time to compact.

How close is the latch coming to closing all of the way? I fought having to slam doors before I ended up replacing the latches that mount to the door frame and door jamb.

I am guessing it is about 1/4". When I move latches it just pushes the door out in the closed position, and is not flush on the outside. I dont have new latches in the budget right now, but you might be on to something - the rubber is made for a different latch than my 79 OEM possibly??

On my second door I made sure to attach the Wx strip in the most inside position possible, opposite the edge of the door. It came out a little better.

Edit: Also... slamming doors screws up the mirrors :bang:

Edit: Also... slamming doors screws up the mirrors :bang:
Yes, definitely!

Having moved the gasket, the door closes much easier but the slightest bump in the road, and Costa Rica roads are nothing but bumps, and the latch releases and the door swing open. I may have to resort to the tried and true Costa Rican solution - rope!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom