Front Differential/Transfer Case Breathers (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey Folks,

I just ran over 90k and I started thinking about changing my transfer cases and differentials oils. This also got me thinking about extending the breather on the rear differential. I did it previously on my 4Runner for peace of mind and figured I'd do the same on the GX.

The 4Runner had it's front breathers already fairly high in the engine bay; Does anyone know if the GX is similar? (I'll admit that I haven't looked very hard under the hood yet. Its been too cold up here in the North East).

The breather hose is extended up just to the left of the fuse box when looking in the engine bay from the front of the car. Should be high enough. :)

Correct, the front is up under the hood by the fuse box. The rear diff doesn't have one, but there is a guy on a local FJ group selling one for like $35 that should work. I was going to install one this past weekend for the rear, but he ended up not showing up to our get together.

I got a few minutes this weekend and had a chance to throw on the Toyota union and extend my rear diff breather. It took about 15 mins. I ran the extended tube up with the fuel tank fill hoses and made sure the breather was nice and high. Not a bad project for ab out $15 worth of materials and 15 mins.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom