Found out what happens when you rush the g-plugs... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sandcruiser said:
I know I **can** start without the glowplugs, it just runs a little rough and is a little smokey.
My question is: Am I doing harm?

My instinctive feeling is that you're not doing anything harmful to your engine. Mine starts like that all the time . :D It's TDI compared to a IDI of course...but I can't see any harm being done.

only to the atmosphere... but then i am probably the worse culprit with that black burner of mine...

sandcruiser said:
I know I **can** start without the glowplugs, it just runs a little rough and is a little smokey.
My question is: Am I doing harm?

NO to your engine ..

If you see the parts compromised in a cold start without prehead with glow plugs, diesel in the chamber without burn .. more amp to the starter ( from bat ) to do more cycles to start the negine ..

No big deal .. but I love when my 2H start only with showing the key :D

Maybe no harm is being done but if you were picky (like I am) you dont labour your engine and rough starting is labouring your engine and thats why we feel guilty and some even apologise hehehe

good enough.
I figured that without glowing, my motor/air charge is probably still warmer than what most of our canadian friends have going with glow.... :)
Having said that, I'll keep glowing it. The 20 seconds isn't much in this "waiting around all day" society, and anything that might reduce my overall reliability is bad.

crushers said:
this is just during cold starts, once up to operating temp no need to glow...

right .. !

My personal recomendation, is, allow your engine get proper oil pressure, and Temp before go up 2000 rpm .. drive smooth, until you have operative temp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom