Found a real nice expensive 92 in VT for sale (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Somebody buy this thing! It's not mine and I don't know who owns it,but after reading the thread "If I had to do it over again" this one would be a pretty good choice if you can get the price down.

1992 Toyota Land Cruiser

I keep telling my wife we should list her locked 96 with less than 50k on eBay for $30k. Get her into a newer Taco. It would be hard to let the lc go though.

I just hope some senior citizen wasn't given NADA (or worse) on this - flipping is one thing, taking advantage of someone isn't.

Seems like a '92 w/ 60K would be a old person who ran to town, not much else.

I say that as a few here know, I have a Nighthawk/Tan <100K locked one that is mine when the elderly couple sell it - she's got degen arthritis, but I told them fair market value when they say so. I see them often, neighbors of a guy whose dock I use - they saw my black (& others) plenty & asked me, now I give them fish & treat them right & they let me park in their driveway (typical crowded waterfront roads).

@Chicken Hawk - seems like that LX450 w/ stupid low miles (25K in 2010-12) hit the low/mid $40K range. Aside from a few I saw in Steamboat years ago that were "mansion queens"(people's winter ski house) - you're in a elite crowd.

That said, the way parts are dropping you might put a $45K/bo & see what rolls in.

Insanity! That's absolutely nuts. $45k would buy one nice taco. I should have listed it for $60k when we brought it home with 31k in 2015. Lots to think about. Sell it and pay off my mortgage! Nuts I tell you...

Those "excellent" Michelins look like they are starting to crack from age.

If he bought it from the original owner, it is no longer a one owner as he is the second owner. It looks like the seller is trying to flip this thing.

But, as a the third owner of a JDM 1990 (US-ish 1991) FJ80 with 59,000 km's, I will say that low miles are a good thing, especially after seeing some issues with the higher mileage rigs. If serviced properly, the mechanical components just don't have the wear of a 200,000 mile vehicle. Sure, the rubber vacuum lines and trim may need attention, but as long as that thing isn't rusty, I don't think the price is that insane. The interior looks good, the exterior looks good, and it probably doesn't need anything to be a reliable rig.

I'd be hard pressed to pay $10K for it. Besides the miles, it does nothing for me.

I'd be hard pressed to pay $10K for it. Besides the miles, it does nothing for me.

I'd wonder how someone that doesn't have cash in hand will get a loan for it. I doubt a bank is going to loan out $20k on a 1992 for any kind of decent interest rate, if the bank even loans the money at all.

I worked the carlots as the lot lizard & the 1 saying for ANY trade taken in - "There's an ass for every seat"

Proved out too - I was there when those weird Shelby Omni / ??? (dorky Crysler hatchback) - would sell. Roached ones too.

Proof right there that crack cocaine was an epidemic.

Says never driven in the winter. Not registered yet. I would throw $15k at that without hesitation.
A new rad and hoses with PHH, probably tires, and fluids and go for 40k miles till you pop the hood.
A used 4 door Jeep is 20k.

If they last so long, what's the obsession with low miles?
All Rubber on that truck is 25 yrs old.
It does look nice.

Says never driven in the winter. Not registered yet. I would throw $15k at that without hesitation.
A new rad and hoses with PHH, probably tires, and fluids and go for 40k miles till you pop the hood.
A used 4 door Jeep is 20k.

It's a 1992, so a 3FE, correct? It doesn't have the same cooling/head gasket issues that the 1FZ may suffer from.

So, I'd stick with tires and fluids. Either a small lift right away or 285's and a decent set of wheels.

It does look nice.

They do last long, but the lower miles mean that there is less wear on the components. The tie rods, steering gear, ring and pinions, u joints, springs, transmission, engine, etc etc. There is much less of a chance that all of those components need to be replaced or serviced. I bet this thing doesn't need any front axle attention either.

We see people spending $6k-$10k+ on 80s, then dropping thousands in them to get them road worthy again. And the sometimes still have dirty interiors with ripped seats. It all adds up on a higher mileage vehicle.

But then again, if a low mileage vehicle wasn't maintained, low miles doesn't mater much.

Rubber hoses are cheap.

It does look nice.

It does matter quite a bit where & how it was stored if the rubber issue is in play.

I'll take a garaged WA/OR/ID/MT --FZJ80 w/ low miles & not expect to face rubber breakdown like other 80's like a NV/AZ/NM one.

(Betting @Chicken Hawk 's 80 is a prime example of this), so that is the 'dream 80' for me if I was bent on a pristine low-miler.

That said, we have 80's out here that while expensive on a national level, they have no rust & little UV damage. I'm where the nicest average 80's with average miles are, and I'm very versed in the used car dealer world.
Yes, our cars are very expensive - up front & if you're a short term holder. Long term, they pay off. Add to that the Seattle region income & people buy relatively nice cars (not Beverly Hills or Miami but we're not shopping Lambo or Ferrari Enzos).

That's part of why I have zero interest in any 80 that LC salesman posts on Ebay (he's a PA guy, buys coastal rust 80's - has 6-12 on ebay usually).

It seems a good rule might be if you have semi-decent clearcoat for a mettalic painted 80, it probably might be a winner.

Also, if it has a cracked dashboard, expect no matter the miles it's been baked well in ozone & UV.

And for me, if it was my money - I simply would only throw obscene $$$ at a full OBD2 FZJ80 -so 95-97. But that's mainly because I'm in my wheelhouse & like the setup.

If a 3FE with little use is your dream, seems this guy might be your thing. UV/ozone damage should be minimal, but the tires might about have flat spots.

I knew when I found my LC I found something special. It wasn't until I started reading on here just what a unicorn I found. I asked my wife if she'd sell it for $45k. She said no way! After mobbing in the snow around our property and not getting stuck last week, she's in love! She's pretty low tech, I don't think a new tacoma would suit her anyhow.

I knew when I found my LC I found something special. It wasn't until I started reading on here just what a unicorn I found. I asked my wife if she'd sell it for $45k. She said no way! After mobbing in the snow around our property and not getting stuck last week, she's in love! She's pretty low tech, I don't think a new tacoma would suit her anyhow.

Might be smart money if you guys keep it garaged, and hold onto the OE parts you pull (If you have the room) - at the rate it's getting miles you'll be in the top 5% of FZJ80's if they have/get a following with collectors.

Regardless it is solid value where a Taco is a depreciating machine.

Who buys a LC in Vermont and doesn't drive it in the snow? C'mon you seriously believe that? You can see the aluminum etched from the salt on the intake mani.

unnamed_3.jpg
unnamed_4.jpg
unnamed_5.jpg

It's clean for a VT truck, but I've seen 200k mile West Coast \ Southwest trucks with less corrosion. 3FE. Open diffs. Sunroof, Roof Racks, Sliding Windows, Brown. I dunno, 25k seems like a lot. Maybe 15k-17.5?

Meh. Overpriced and I'm sure lots of rust. That after market leather is hidious. I'd rather the cloth that came stock in 1992.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom