Forum name (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you split this forum up into several small and more specific forums isnt it obvious that you would alienate some of the very knowledgable people that guys like me seek advice from. These gurus are less likley to see and to answer posts if they have to look through a whole whack of differant boards.
Leave the forum alone please, it's great here. I guess I'm stupid but I don't see all that much chat etc.
Thanks

Is it the cold weather and cabin fever that brings out these sorts of debates? The International section is the best - run and most informative LC group on the web. I like to hear from 60-owners, 40-owners etc, many of whom I met at the event this summer in Vancouver.

If it ain't broke...and it ain't....don't fix it.

Heck, just leave it the way it is.

Mike

An American in Canada with an JDM diesel and American gasser for cruisers...

VTCruiser said:
i still say leave it. you have to consider traffic too. i don't think the int'l board is big enough to warrent splitting it up. Anything non-US related is found here, how much simpler can it get?

I think traffic is increasing.. dunno about it though, It's just my observations. We used to mainly talk about canadian bj's and hj's with a little dribble of an hz or hdt etc. Now with all the jdm's, light duty and heavy duty etc. and importers from engines like g&s to vehicles of wayne there is ALOT more going on now. I generally don't ready anything about the hd80's here.. they just don't pertain to me. I don't really mind I just move past them. I know i've heard alot of we'll loose people if we change etc. Think about how many people may not participate in the fourm now because they might not think thier kzj90 or hzj74 fits here or doesn't see enough tech about them here and move on. Think about not only how we can retain folks that are already here but bring in new folks with that may have overlooked this forum because it's too all inclusive.

Just a thought... I could go wither way.:cheers:

Every single new call I get about a cruiser or parts I direct to this board for information or to field questions.

Same as I get questioned about JDM parts if something goes wrong with thier new used JDM........ call G&S Cruisers.

Makes every one feel warm and fuzzy insided to know they can find help with thier international or Canadian diesels.

We strayed slightly from what this thread was about a couple posts earlier, but I will agree that other forums catter to a groupe who know eachother well and are not so accepting of newbies.

Should post a link on my web page, darn good thought.

Best of the new year to ya all.

Rob

Here's another thought. This time serious.

What makes each and every forum isn't the forum heading, the subject matter discussed, it's the participants. You get some that enjoy the people, and tend towards chat. You get some that like the rules, and get angry about a mis-placed chat post. But it's all about the people that give a place it's quality.

If you haven't figured me out yet, I'll give away my secret... I am a contrarian. As such, I am here reluctantly... I actaully don't like MUD. I don't like it because it's a forum, which I don't like. I don't like it because low quality posts rarely go unchallenged, and this place once was filled with half-truths, and mis-information. Post something out your ass on Pirate and you'll be sure to hear the truth of the matter. But the part that really makes me nervous is that somehow, Wayne has recreated himself on this forum as some sort of Zen master Cruiser authority, in such a way that if I rip into him for saying something silly, I am the buffoon for disrespecting an upstanding MUD citizen like Wayne. Heck, Wayne is able to tell ME to bugger off on this list, and can get away with it, but when poor little Ray does the same to Wayne, he's told to shut the heck up! Well done Wayne. You've won this round..... I guess the final reason that IH8IH8MUD, is because I actually like mud. Mud is fun. It's only newbies on small tires that make statements like 'I Hate Mud'. GRRR..

So, if I don't really like it here, then why am I here? Becasue this is where all the people that I like, who used to be on LCML, DTLC, RMLCA list, have migrated. It's the people that make the community. That's what I really think.

But a general uprizing against an unfair dictator would have been fun, too.

Peter Straub

Free ranging here...

Behemoth60 said:
What makes each and every forum isn't the forum heading, the subject matter discussed, it's the participants. You get some that enjoy the people, and tend towards chat. You get some that like the rules, and get angry about a mis-placed chat post. But it's all about the people that give a place it's quality.Peter Straub

Yes, and one of the reasons I think any potential change needs to include an "international"...or..."Diesel" chat section. It's nice to walk into Cheers once in a while and say "Norm"...if you know what I mean.

bigbrowndog said:
Really a fair call Dave, I have been posting maps and pictures that really did belong in chat.Some may have been relevent to tech, but plenty were not. Will lift my game, cheers guys, anyone else?

Would be a shame to lose posts like that to general chat...as above.

chrushers said:
seriously, there are a few, very few, posts that could/should be moved but all in all is this not a nice place to come and escape the rest of the world for a few minutes a day?

I think a lot of posts could be moved. Anything not to do with "tech" increases the noise ratio, even if some of it is nice noise.

Tonito said:
I like the name of the borad ... maybe its bacause I felt not excluded as a german. So here are enough people from different countries all over the world ... the name just fits.

I like the international flavour too. There is a way to meet all needs. Not sure what that would look like though.

denis said:
That's because a few months ago, chit chat and crap were settled as being OK in this forum. IMO it either has to be tech, chit chat, vendor, or anything, but not all at once in the same place.

Exactly. Question is how to make each section thrive. Any section can turn into a pimp forum, unless it is badged as such already...such as the venders forum.

Someone mentioned people leaving if things change. What about people leaving if it does not change...or at least the concern denis writes about is not addressed.

What about building a place for all those cruisers that are diesel driven, around the world, and building forums to suit. I don't know if what I suggested as a datum would work. Would there be enough traffic?

How about the unspoken masses that lurk here. Speak up! Nows your chance. I think it's kinda like voting: Don't vote...don't bitch. :D

Behemoth60 said:
If you haven't figured me out yet, I'll give away my secret... I am a contrarian. As such, I am here reluctantly... I actaully don't like MUD. I don't like it because it's a forum, which I don't like. I don't like it because low quality posts rarely go unchallenged, and this place once was filled with half-truths, and mis-information. So, if I don't really like it here, then why am I here? Becasue this is where all the people that I like, who used to be on LCML, DTLC, RMLCA list, have migrated. It's the people that make the community. That's what I really think. Peter Straub

Because of that, you would be the perfect addition to assist Stone as a moderator, and be ruthless in directing posts to the areas they should be: vender, trail ride, series/driveline specific tech, chit-chat...

Behemoth60 said:
But a general uprizing against an unfair dictator would have been fun, too.Peter Straub

But I thought...nevermind.

gb

Greg_B said:
I think the engine/tranny/suspension issues are enough to warrent a different "tech" section.

let me see...

LJ70, KZJ70 : R151F + split case
PZJ7x, late HZJxx : R151F (R150F ?) + split case

The landcruiser lineup is just a big mix and match of the whole parts inventory :grinpimp:

denis said:
let me see...

LJ70, KZJ70 : R151F + split case
PZJ7x, late HZJxx : R151F (R150F ?) + split case

The landcruiser lineup is just a big mix and match of the whole parts inventory :grinpimp:

Ya, there are a lot of varients....

That is why the list as suggested.

gb

Caveman said:
If you split this forum up into several small and more specific forums isnt it obvious that you would alienate some of the very knowledgable people that guys like me seek advice from. These gurus are less likley to see and to answer posts if they have to look through a whole whack of differant boards.
Leave the forum alone please, it's great here. I guess I'm stupid but I don't see all that much chat etc.
Thanks

You make a very good point. I don't think splitting is a solution of choice either.
Splitting is actually the source of the problem. I'm not spending as much time browsing the other sections forums as I do here, and I'm probably missing a lot of good stuff I would otherwise love reading or participate in. Same goes for some questions or topics here that would have been discussed in a more in-depth fashion than they are doing here. I totally refuse the argument of "the nice good group of friendly people" here. for 1- This section is (still) part of the "tech forums", just hanging around with the friends is not the main focus 2- the users of the other parts of the board are equally as friendly and fun. At this point the section as grown into its own little world, which is not fundamentally a bad thing. The bad thing is the irrelevant topics far outnumber the relevant topics as far as specific tech goes. The whole IH8MUD board is not structured upon friendly "owners club" groups, but topic-specific focus for the ease of searching/ browsing as well as hanging around or chating. The current organization has not been found yet (sorry woody :doh: ) but that's what we should be aiming at for a long-lasting, succesful forum. Or at least that's the way I see it :D

Greg_B said:
Ya, there are a lot of varients....

That is why the list as suggested. If you have ideas, step up and post them.

gb

EDIT : this would be for the whole IH8MUD forums layout :eek:

TECH

chassis tech : steering, braking and axles components

powerplant tech : engines, transmissions and t/case
(including more specific sub-sections if need be)

body and electrical tech

outfitting tech

project tech : truck buildup threads involving 2 or more of the above

misc non-cruiser tech : automotive, fabrication, electronics/electricity, wood...

CLUBROOM

cruiser chat

event chat (incl. announcements and writeups)

offtopic chat

MARKETPLACE

cruiser parts for sale

misc parts for sale

vehicles for sale

wanted

offtopic marketplace

vendor showroom

TLCA

Behemoth60 said:
I actaully don't like MUD. I don't like it because it's a forum, which I don't like. I don't like it because low quality posts rarely go unchallenged, and this place once was filled with half-truths, and mis-information. Post something out your ass on Pirate and you'll be sure to hear the truth of the matter. But the part that really makes me nervous is that somehow, Wayne has recreated himself on this forum as some sort of Zen master Cruiser authority, in such a way that if I rip into him for saying something silly, I am the buffoon for disrespecting an upstanding MUD citizen like Wayne. Heck, Wayne is able to tell ME to bugger off on this list, and can get away with it, but when poor little Ray does the same to Wayne, he's told to shut the heck up! Well done Wayne. You've won this round.....

Good post, Mr. Straub! That is exactly what I am saying. In the old diesel list, the real gurus were keeping Wayne honest. Here some brown nosers figure they can get cheap Japenese trucks from Wayne by calling him a guru. "Lets ask Wayne, he knows the answer" "Ooooh, just wait until Wayne gets sees this thread, he'll fix your problem" "Wayne, you can never say anything wrong, you are the guru" (if you recognise these comments as your own, you are the
kissass.gif
I am talking about) So here anything Wayne is selling becomes the superior option, the desirable. 1PZ engines, light duty LJ78, propane injection (which cures any diesel problems by the way:rolleyes:) hell even Mitsubishi Jeeps.

I bet now these people are writing the moderator get me :ban: for writing this. That's OK, go ahead and bury your head in the sand.

Ray
1993 FZJ80

RE: higher volume of chat. Personally, I enjoy it. As a relative newbie, I'm learning a lot not only about tech but about what offroading is about etc. To be honest, I'm more of a restorer and wrencher than a wheeler so for example Wayne's detailed descriptions of trail challenges and strategies are really welcome. I don't think you get that even in the 'chat' section, which seems to be about political bashing etc. So is it 'tech' to talk about trail strategy/gear/expeditioning, or is it 'chat'?

Second of all, I gotta say that personally I've pretty much worked out all the mechanical issues on my 42. Let's face it, 'tech' can be endangered simply because we all drive diesel LCs and they are highly reliable. That being said, we will inevitably get outfitting or suspension mod etc. type questions because other tech issues arise relatively rarely.

Does this make sense?

80transit said:
Good post, Mr. Straub! That is exactly what I am saying. In the old diesel list, the real gurus were keeping Wayne honest. Here some brown nosers figure they can get cheap Japenese trucks from Wayne by calling him a guru. "Lets ask Wayne, he knows the answer" "Ooooh, just wait until Wayne gets sees this thread, he'll fix your problem" "Wayne, you can never say anything wrong, you are the guru" (if you recognise these comments as your own, you are the
kissass.gif
I am talking about) So here anything Wayne is selling becomes the superior option, the desirable. 1PZ engines, light duty LJ78, propane injection (which cures any diesel problems by the way:rolleyes:) hell even Mitsubishi Jeeps.

I bet now these people are writing the moderator get me :ban: for writing this. That's OK, go ahead and bury your head in the sand.

Ray
1993 FZJ80

OK this is really getting off topic and personal and this really does belong in chat, if at all. Has nothing to do with forum name/organization but is just a personal vendetta, who knows why. This kind of thing has no business on MUD IMO--u got a problem, PM the guy, don't broadcast this biased drivel here.

80transit said:
That's OK, go ahead and bury your head in the sand.

You're not addressing anything, the thread was successfully hijacked to an higher, philosophical discussion beyond individualities :grinpimp: :flipoff2:

I'm going to keep this thread here because i'm curious as to where this discussion goes.

I would love to have some help moderating this board. Someone who has been into Land Cruisers a heck of a lot longer than I would add a lot as being moderator to this board. It hink that there are some great people here, and that generally the atmosphere here is amicable and constructive, although having said that, I too have felt a little bit of disinterest due to some of the reasons mentioned here already.

I think at least an International Chat section would help this board quite a bit. Maybe in the General Forums list this section can be called just an International Cruisers section instead of Tech, and then when you come in here there are separate Tech and Chat sections. Some chat could easily be moved to General Chat, all Vendors or Classifieds threads are easy enough to take care of...but maybe it would be helpful to add an International Chat here also.

There are a lot of guys who have been in this diesel game for a long time guys. People who know a lot about Cruisers, some of whom I've met. Rick D, Dave T., Brett, Greg and Shel, Peter, Bruce L, Wayne, and some others. Would be a shame if some of them left.

Behemoth60 said:
Here's another thought. This time serious.

What makes each and every forum isn't the forum heading, the subject matter discussed, it's the participants. But it's all about the people that give a place it's quality.
But the part that really makes me nervous is that somehow, Wayne has recreated himself on this forum as some sort of Zen master Cruiser authority, in such a way that if I rip into him for saying something silly, I am the buffoon for disrespecting an upstanding MUD citizen like Wayne. Heck, Wayne is able to tell ME to bugger off on this list, and can get away with it, but when poor little Ray does the same to Wayne, he's told to shut the heck up! Well done Wayne. You've won this round.....
Peter Straub
ROTFLMAO with tears running down my face...
Peter, my old friend and adversary, welcome.
i agree completely that it is the people that make a place a "home" to come visit.

why could i get away with telling you to "bugger off"? because you and i go back quite a few years now. we wheel together, are in the same club in which i must listen to your guidence since you are president (even though i do not agree with some of the BS you try and install in the newbie's heads about "bigger is better"), and we have been adversaries for many years.

i never "won" anything, i didn't know i was in a contest.

Just to set the matter straight, I never set myself up as a Guru, Zen master Cruiser authority, and all the other names that people on the forum call me. I LIKE to contribute stories, ideas, pictures (oh, i love posting pics) and advice. there are MANY on this board that are much more informed than I.

YOU went big, bigger, biggest and i went smaller. You went complex and i went simple but you weren't here. I missed yah.

80transit said:
kissass.gif
I am talking about) So here anything Wayne is selling becomes the superior option, the desirable. 1PZ engines, light duty LJ78, propane injection (which cures any diesel problems by the way:rolleyes:) hell even Mitsubishi Jeeps

I know it's already been said once, but I could not let this one go. I can only think of two people who have contributed ZERO to tech and seem to be here only to stir the pot....and you are one of them. I'm not sticking up for Wayne, nor am I kissing his ass....hell, I disagree with Wayne plenty and am not afraid to tell him when i do. But this kind of mindless crap is exactly what keeps the tech low and the drama high. If you disagree with Wayne so much, why not challenge him on something? If he says PZ's rock and you think they suck, give us your insight, your wisdom, your personal experience. That's what the forum is for. Instead of spending hours on end trying to craft a post that shows everyone how witty you are by slamming Wayne, please...go try to think of one just one valuable peice of tech to share... As for the personal lambastings, give it a rest...we're all tired of it:princess: ...real tired

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom