ford 302 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Has anyone done or know someone who has done a ford 302 swap into an fj60 using the stock 4speed manual?

I’ve come across that swap with fj40’s but it doesn’t seem so common on the 60. I don’t know why ford swaps don’t seem as common as the LS engines.

It would really depend on the trans and t case or t case adapter more than the engine for ease of install.

If you wanted to move the axles and do SOA, anything is possible.

I believe it’s been done but it’s extremely rare. If you’ve got a Ford 302 lying around or possibly in the pipeline, it’s tempting to try to put it in the cruiser. But from my perspective, the odd-ball factor wouldn’t be worth the trouble it will take to swap it.
If I was going to swap an engine into a cruiser, I’d only choose one that’s been done several times before by others where all the kinks have been worked out.

Personally, I don't think a 302 has enough low end torque - not enough cubic inches. Ask anyone with a full size Bronco that runs a 302. Nice engine in a Mustang, but not so much in a heavy truck (at least at higher elevations).

Has anyone done or know someone who has done a ford 302 swap into an fj60 using the stock 4speed manual?
I did a Marks Bellhousing adapter kit with my FJ40 in the 90's. It's a good kit as I had a '69 4bbl 351W (same block, identical bellhousing)
and it used the factory 4 speed. FJ40 uses a mounting ear on the bellhousing itself and they are simply switched side to side and
the motor uses Ford motor mounts. It took me 3 days total, from starting to remove the F engine until I had the V8 running.
I still have the carcass bellhousing still attached to that 4 speed in the shed. It worked really well for several years.
As far as comment on not using a 302, with modern engine developments it would be easy to get more than enough to
push a 60 along just fine. Not quite a 351 but with the proper cam easy. I'd run a small 4 bbl with spacer for higher flow
unless you can manage an EFI which would be most excellent.
What year 302 you got? what year 60?

I had a built 302 in a 1980 Toyota pickup. Even with 35's that thing was scary fast lol.
I'd run one in a 60, but with the goodies mine had, it was thirsty.

I did a Marks Bellhousing adapter kit with my FJ40 in the 90's. It's a good kit as I had a '69 4bbl 351W (same block, identical bellhousing)
and it used the factory 4 speed. FJ40 uses a mounting ear on the bellhousing itself and they are simply switched side to side and
the motor uses Ford motor mounts. It took me 3 days total, from starting to remove the F engine until I had the V8 running.
I still have the carcass bellhousing still attached to that 4 speed in the shed. It worked really well for several years.
As far as comment on not using a 302, with modern engine developments it would be easy to get more than enough to
push a 60 along just fine. Not quite a 351 but with the proper cam easy. I'd run a small 4 bbl with spacer for higher flow
unless you can manage an EFI which would be most excellent.
What year 302 you got? what year 60?
Sniper would be a good option for efi.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom