floor jack placement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I spent the day tinkering and and inspecting my Toy and jacked it up to spin the tires looking and listening.
I lifted the back and put the stands under it and used the third member to lift both tires at once. Did the same on the front.
I put the stands under the shackles so there is not much room for a floor-jack other than lifting on the frame which is a hassle as you have to do one side and then the other with a lot of running back and forth.
I have heard or read that jacking up on the pumpkin is not a good idea.

I did a very short search and only came up with lifting and kits.

Other than getting the wife a second job to pay for a lift I would like to hear your take on the subject.

I always lift with the pumpkin also. never have had a problem or herd of it being a bad place to place a jack. I know if I would ask the wife to get a second job so I could get a lift she would just tell me to sell my guns and buy a lift. So that`s would not be a good option. So i`ll continue to just jack it up and use jack stands.
JP

Sell all your guns and buy a lift... I’ll bring you some beer and we can test it out. ;)

I think the main concern would be applying pressure to the thin rear cover. Depending on the shape of your floor jack pad, this may or may not be an issue. Beyond that the pumpkin housing, not the actual third member you mentioned, is as strong as you are going to get.

I put the stands on each side of the axle close to the wheels. It's tight, but it will fit. I would not jack or jack stand on any suspension component.
Thanks for the comments.
I have been using the pumpkin as a jacking point for many years also.
It is just something that I heard long ago and every time I lift my toy it comes to mind.
When I said shackles I meant plate where the axle is bolted to the springs what ever that is called.
I have always had a hard time keeping the names of things straight.
That is why I had to give up brain surgery, because when I asked the nurse for a doomaflogy it would confuse her.
We don't play doctor anymore.

I always lift with the pumpkin also. never have had a problem or herd of it being a bad place to place a jack. I know if I would ask the wife to get a second job so I could get a lift she would just tell me to sell my guns and buy a lift. So that`s would not be a good option. So i`ll continue to just jack it up and use jack stands.
JP

You really need that lift. I feel generous and I will take those guns off your hands for you. No need to thank me, I am more than willing to help you out.:flipoff2:

My wife used to say the exact same thing about my toys. She finally realized that as long as I have my toys and hobbies I say busy and content.

You really need that lift. I feel generous and I will take those guns off your hands for you. No need to thank me, I am more than willing to help you out.:flipoff2:

My wife used to say the exact same thing about my toys. She finally realized that as long as I have my toys and hobbies I say busy and content.

A local news show (Eye on LA) did a piece on my 4WD club back in ‘84 or so. When asking one of the wives about her husband’s hobby, she said “I love it. Many wives have to wonder where their men are at night, out in bars, shooting pool or who knows what. I know I can walk out in the garage and find mine under the truck.”

BTW, x10 on using the diff part of the axle housing.

And of course those of us who have centered rear diffs can lift both rears and set stands under the axle in one shot. I'm sure that's why Toyota had centered diffs originally. :lol:

I bought a lift when I built my shop close to 20 years ago. I think I paid around 2500 for it installed. It was a used Rotary asymetric 2 post. A dealership had changed out all there stuff and this one was in great condition. I found it by asking some of the local shops who installed and serviced their lifts. I got his name and contacted him. By far, the single best tool I have ever owned.

My point is, they arent really that expensive for something that you will use for many years. Safety first.

And of course those of us who have centered rear diffs can lift both rears and set stands under the axle in one shot. I'm sure that's why Toyota had centered diffs originally. :lol:

You forgot something: :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom