SOLD FL - '82 FJ45 Troopy (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Year
Vehicle Model
  1. 45 Series

1621261957820.png

Looks great but never seen a Troopy with Shorty side windows. Is that a Colombia thing?

Having owned 2/3rds of the above trucks & driven the other one, I can confirm they all had pop out windows! They seem to be common in 45’s (bj & fj, both). In fact australia seems to be the only country that consistently got slider windows. But the didn’t get the bj45 that I know of.

be aware that this truck has an illegal motor swap in it. The carbed, South American spec 1fz is not US certified. That means it was misdeclaed at import. Realistically not a problem in most locations, but something to be aware of depending on your own situation, & location.

Cool truck otherwise.

Seller wanting to take discussion and/or inquiries about "emissions" legalities offline.

Too bad that's only part of the potential pitfalls.

Puzzled and trying to understand this. The documents in the photos say that to be allowed legal entry into the US and driven on the road here, this truck would have needed its original engine or a US-certified engine as a replacement, and then the exemption would be typed "E," as sworn/certified by the importer, correct?

But reading the comments in this thread, the specific version of the engine shown in this truck was never authorized for use in the US, correct? So the approval documents appear to show that no one in the EPA verified that the engine actually installed is US permitted--whatever and whoever that inspection details-- nor did the state of Florida-- if the truck is now legally titled in Florida for street use. And........future titling in any other state is then simply rubber-stamped based upon Florida's acceptance? Seems like things are pretty lax.

So, wondering if this is all on the honesty-system, where the importer simply states everything is original/certified, and the Federal documentation flies through without a problem, and the receiving state never questions or inspects anything? Wow. Why then are all those guys who buy European model Ferraris and Lamborghinis, to then having them impounded at the docks-- until they pay thousands to an authorized shop for testing and modifications to get them released--when simply mis-declaring the engines to be US certified is never verified?

Is whoever buys this, or other future buyers, at risk of some day, that someone official does actually catch the "mis-declaration" and decide to seize the truck and/or apply fines to everyone in the chain of owners?

Makes you wonder if the importation process and the fines threatened actually have some validity, or the whole process is simply paperwork mumbo-jumbo and "fluff," and really just another way of collecting more fees and taxes?

Anyone here know the answer?

Puzzled and trying to understand this. The documents in the photos say that to be allowed legal entry into the US and driven on the road here, this truck would have needed its original engine or a US-certified engine as a replacement, and then the exemption would be typed "E," as sworn/certified by the importer, correct?

But reading the comments in this thread, the specific version of the engine shown in this truck was never authorized for use in the US, correct? So the approval documents appear to show that no one in the EPA verified that the engine actually installed is US permitted--whatever and whoever that inspection details-- nor did the state of Florida-- if the truck is now legally titled in Florida for street use. And........future titling in any other state is then simply rubber-stamped based upon Florida's acceptance? Seems like things are pretty lax.

So, wondering if this is all on the honesty-system, where the importer simply states everything is original/certified, and the Federal documentation flies through without a problem, and the receiving state never questions or inspects anything? Wow. Why then are all those guys who buy European model Ferraris and Lamborghinis, to then having them impounded at the docks-- until they pay thousands to an authorized shop for testing and modifications to get them released--when simply mis-declaring the engines to be US certified is never verified?

Is whoever buys this, or other future buyers, at risk of some day, that someone official does actually catch the "mis-declaration" and decide to seize the truck and/or apply fines to everyone in the chain of owners?

Makes you wonder if the importation process and the fines threatened actually have some validity, or the whole process is simply paperwork mumbo-jumbo and "fluff," and really just another way of collecting more fees and taxes?

Anyone here know the answer?
IIRC when I imported a V8 powered HJ-45 back around 2006 the import documents said something similar--it had to have the original engine. But no drama getting it imported. Once it is here, if you aren't in an emissions area, does it really matter? You could put any motor you want in it after it's imported, so what's the difference?

Perhaps your engine met American specs? Again, it appears that there's selective enforcement of regulations written about engines in imported vehicles. Otherwise, why would someone importing a European-spec car go to the expense and hassle of modifying a well-performing-- but non-USA spec-- engine when not necessary?

Of course once it's here you CAN do anything, although keeping it registered in some states requires passing periodic re-inspection. My questions are about the initial entry into the US, getting past the "guards" and the power to punish violators that they wield. I would think that whatever loophole allows a modified Troopy to duck below the wire, would be explored by the companies importing non-USA vehicles from abroad.

I know nothing of the 2 engines mentioned here, but something seems off. Are imported vehicles ever inspected upon arrival; if so, do the inspectors recognize the differences among stock, modified, USA-spec, non-USA spec? Maybe someone here has experience with this and is willing to share why this vehicle is apparently exempt from what others are required to meet?

I would think that the sheer volume of vehicles (new and used) being imported excludes anything other than cursory level of inspections. I remember being behind a guy from Hyundai or Kia, can’t recall which. He was clearing paperwork for something like 200 vehicles. Granted those are new but presumably they, too, have regulations and could be inspected.

People break the speed limit all of the time. Does not getting caught or ticketed erase the violation? If a tree falls in the woods does it make a sound?

I think that, in the same way that it’s possible to get away with many crimes, it’s probably possible/likely/easy to get past these regulations. But what are you left with if you get away with it? A constant, lurking feeling that you may end up getting caught? I suppose it comes down to one’s conscience and what they are comfortable with doing.

Me? I’ve tried my hardest to teach my kids that the truest test of a person’s character is what they do when they think nobody is watching.

I’ve been trying to figure out what to do with my legally imported and licensed/registered in CA HJ47 ever since I was in an accident with it 12 years ago. I’d love to just buy a European BJ42/45/46 and sell what I have but I don’t think I could acquire and register one legally here. That sucks and honestly makes me think about moving (that and the tax rate), but it’s never, yet, raised itself to that level in our house.

It all comes down to what you’re comfortable with and what your risk profile is. Cost/benefit.

Sorry, too much time waiting in line today. Probably TMI.

To Bear's comments, it was my first time importing and I was nervous because the EPA exemption, although it was age-based (EPA was 20 years and DOT was 25 years, or vice versa), stated that it required the motor to be original. Maybe importing vehicles over 25 years with "exempt" documents makes them a low priority for inspection. If they are newer and aren't exempt, maybe more likely to be inspected. I really have no idea. But once it is here it should make no difference unless you are in an emissions/inspection locale. I wouldn't hesitate to buy an already-imported rig like this if I lived in any other county in NM than the one I'm in.

The short answer is that you guys are all pretty much correct. The risks of getting caught are super low. But the penalty of being the one holding the bag is super high. So it comes down to what you are comfortable with, in your situation.

the long answer goes back to 1993. The Mod act of 1993, was the Customs Modernization act. It was created to simplify trade & make America an easy place to do Intl. Business (keeping our global dominance in place). It took away tons of rules & enforcement levers for the CBP, and in place it created a system where the government expects importers to be the experts & do things legally & correctly. In place of enforcement, which is now more lax, penalties for getting caught went way up.
In this case, the EPA is called an OGA (other governmental authority, recently changed to a “PGA” actually). The EPA could ask Customs to put a hold on the vehicle & do an intensive exam to confirm it is legal. But that is rare. More often customs just confirms the form is there & assumes the person isn’t lying to them. Florida then, and some other states, are notoriously easy to title a vehicle in. They just don’t care about the EPA. Now talking about local risk & willingness to take it, if I bought this truck, I’d need a VIN exam to title. The dmv would see that it doesn’t have a windshield vin, and force me to go to the state patrol in Golden for the inspection. State patrol might be nice enough to just give me the vin, but usually will note that it is a grey market import in their system. That means I have to go to the state emissions office for inspection, in Denver, to get the form that allows me to get an emissions test. They will know that this is an engine swap, and they will note that it isn’t an EPA certified engine. So I’d be dead in the water at that point, with a vehicle that I can’t plate, and one that I would feel sketchy about trying to sell to someone else. So it is a “no” for me. But if I lived on the western slope, I wouldn’t need emissions & I might go for it in that scenario. Others will live in places that also dont matter & consider the purchase.

regarding penalties, the government will only go after the person that filed the forms fraudulently, for the import. So a new owner isn’t at risk there. But they could be at risk of losing the vehicle. Or losing a ton of money if they find they have to sell later in a quick sale, to someone outside of the country, etc... once illegally imported, you can’t just do an engine swap & make it legal. You would have to actually export the vehicle, swap to a legal engine, & then import it again.

lots of bad options for me & where I live, so it is a no. Not a crisis for others so they will be a yes. The bigger long term fear, is that the more people that cheat the system, the more likely we are to lose these options one day.

Thanks for the explanation ! My guess would be that many if not most of the bidders on BaT probably have no personal experience with the intricacies of their local jurisdictions. The risk to this importer who makes a business of it, would be to ship it back to his connections where it came from and/or shoot for a different country to accept it.

Just read through the BaT listing. It’s filled with things like this:
additional refurbishment work is said to have included installing replacement headlamps, emblems, a front bumper, and rear bumperettes. [emphasis added]
I hope the buyer did an in-person inspection, or had the truck professionally inspected prio to purchase. Even if I HAD $100K to spend on a Cruiser I can’t imagine feeling comfortable with all of the hedges in that description. There’s some serious CYA going on there. :frown:

That's boilerplate weasel speak. Every BaH auction has the same wiggly descriptions.

I'd be shocked if that sale is for real.

Let’s see some pictures.

Just read through the BaT listing. It’s filled with things like this:

I hope the buyer did an in-person inspection, or had the truck professionally inspected prio to purchase. Even if I HAD $100K to spend on a Cruiser I can’t imagine feeling comfortable with all of the hedges in that description. There’s some serious CYA going on there. :frown:
I think the reason for the weirdness in the listings is due to the fact that some BAT employee is writing up the auction posting based on the info provided by the seller. It ends up coming across as some strange third person comment and sounds slimy. They really need to find a better method for writing the listing.

On another note, It is absolutely insane that anyone would pay this kind of money for a South American cruiser. Or any cruiser for that matter.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom