Builds FJZ -> HDJ -> 1HDT, 5 Speed, Locked, Lifted and Loved 80 Series Build - PTO ! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I managed to keep it far enough from most things I dont think it will have any issues, I think I will pull the dump out again and add some shields just to make sure nothing gets hot . I will just use some left over 3" and open it up for shields, not a big fan of exhaust wraps so hopefully that will keep it happy.
Dump10.JPG

not sure how you got over the rear diff area with nothing more than a 45 degree bend

Its all about placing bends in the right spot ;)

This is what I did, but there are many ways to skin a cat

IMG_20170430_124037.jpg

IMG_20170430_124049.jpg

No elbows greater than 45⁰ apart from the first two at the down pipe.

Are you running mufflers?

My hdj81, I ran no mufflers and the noise was hideous! Like embarrassing to start the truck and drive it off my neighbourhood hideous.

The exhaust pictured above is for my hzj105 (same frame as 80) I've used the largest full flow mufflers I could fit in, and kept the whole thing above the bottom of frame rails

In my hdj81, I used mild steel pipe. Hzj105 I used stainless. Both very similar in how I fabricated them.
The SS pipe is quite a bit louder just because of the natural resonance in the materials.

I installed mufflers in my hdj81 about two weeks after running it with no mufflers. The sound was unbearable

In my hdj81, I used mild steel pipe. Hzj105 I used stainless. Both very similar in how I fabricated them.
The SS pipe is quite a bit louder just because of the natural resonance in the materials.

I installed mufflers in my hdj81 about two weeks after running it with no mufflers. The sound was unbearable

I currently have no Muffler or Resonator etc just a straight through 3" . I am not planning on running one but that may change when I actually start it up in which case I will put one in the same place as you have it .

Did you buy te dump or make it ?

I currently have no Muffler or Resonator etc just a straight through 3" . I am not planning on running one but that may change when I actually start it up in which case I will put one in the same place as you have it .

Did you buy te dump or make it ?

Made the dump pipe.

IMG_20170422_191454.jpg

There more pics here

Rolling the dice - slow moving turbo HZJ105 project - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/rolling-the-dice-slow-moving-turbo-hzj105-project.967105/#post-10753037

With your dump, do you have any concerns with the weld to the cast iron?
I think cast iron and stainless pipe will have very different thermal expansion properties. Wondering if it's a crack waiting to happen?
I'm not sure, and definitely no expert

Its all about placing bends in the right spot ;)

This is what I did, but there are many ways to skin a cat

View attachment 2754494

View attachment 2754495

No elbows greater than 45⁰ apart from the first two at the down pipe.

Are you running mufflers?

My hdj81, I ran no mufflers and the noise was hideous! Like embarrassing to start the truck and drive it off my neighbourhood hideous.

The exhaust pictured above is for my hzj105 (same frame as 80) I've used the largest full flow mufflers I could fit in, and kept the whole thing above the bottom of frame rails
What muffler and resonator is that if you don't mind if i ask. Nice work too

What muffler and resonator is that if you don't mind if i ask. Nice work too

I can't remember exactly.

the Muffler was a magnaflow 6x9x18"(or 16") 3" full flow with partial offset entry/exit. Offset made it easier to shoot over the frame / diff.

The Resonator is another full flow muffler, 6" round x 16" ( i think) can't remember the brand. I think it was a locally produced one in Australia.

This system was quiet, but you still new when you'd stepped on the gas.
I think theres video of it running in my turbo thread

I can't remember exactly.

the Muffler was a magnaflow 6x9x18"(or 16") 3" full flow with partial offset entry/exit. Offset made it easier to shoot over the frame / diff.

The Resonator is another full flow muffler, 6" round x 16" ( i think) can't remember the brand. I think it was a locally produced one in Australia.

This system was quiet, but you still new when you'd stepped on the gas.
I think theres video of it running in my turbo thread
Thank you

Build continues with more parts going in, getting made and moving forward. Of course the 1HDT has different Air Con Hoses to the FJZ so wanted to keep the FJZ80 head unit and plumb it to the 1HDT to keep the filter up near the battery.

Dash is sort of back in and even cleaned the fender :)

2021-07-06 21.28.31.jpg
2021-07-06 21.28.41.jpg
2021-07-07 23.05.09.jpg

I am following this build closely. Please keep posting details. I have a 1992 that I had setup exactly like I wanted for my daily work truck. 3FE was way underpowered but I still loved the truck. My 3FE finally has a knock in it, so I have a 1993 1HD-T on its way from England and just bought an H151F and HF2A combination yesterday.

I wish I had a half cut to use on mine but I will slowly put it together over the next few months once my parts all show up. My thought process is that it should mostly be plug and play with slight modifications. I do have some connections for any fabrications that come up. I am a good wrench turner but not so much a fabricator. I’m sure I will spend $15k -$20k on parts before it is all said and done but I can’t think of anything I would rather drive for that amount of money. A LHD factoryish Toyota turbo diesel with a manual transmission 80 series!

I can tell by the way you have started that you will no doubt finish this process. Can’t wait to watch yours unfold.

Last edited:
@Copenhagen1 thanks for the feedback, correct I will finish if I don't get distracted lol.

When you goto the new setup you will need drive shafts , pedals, speedo cluster, dash loom if you can, air box, air con bits and no doubt a few other things but I have never done a 3FE so I maybe wrong.

Fabrication wise it is very little work and you could just drill and use nut and bolts in chassis and do not other mods . If you have the parts it is pretty much bolts and run :)

What about the wiring?? How did you do it?? Did you use the 1hdt wiring?? Any picture and diagrams??
Curious about that as well. People say the mechanical pump 1HDT/1HDFT are just a couple wires but others I see a whole custom harness.

Curious about that as well. People say the mechanical pump 1HDT/1HDFT are just a couple wires but others I see a whole custom harness.
The Injector pump has 3 wires. Ground, Tach and the fuel solenoid. All you need from the harness is the mating connector to the IP.

I am following this build closely. Please keep posting details. I have a 1992 that I had setup exactly like I wanted for my daily work truck. 3FE was way underpowered but I still loved the truck. My 3FE finally has a knock in it, so I have a 1993 1HD-T on its way from England and just bought an H151F and HF2A combination yesterday.

I wish I had a half cut to use on mine but I will slowly put it together over the next few months once my parts all show up. My thought process is that it should mostly be plug and play with slight modifications. I do have some connections for any fabrications that come up. I am a good wrench turner but not so much a fabricator. I’m sure I will spend $15k -$20k on parts before it is all said and done but I can’t think of anything I would rather drive for that amount of money. A LHD factoryish Toyota turbo diesel with a manual transmission 80 series!

I can tell by the way you have started that you will no doubt finish this process. Can’t wait to watch yours unfold.
I am in the same boat, currently LS swapping my 80 but once that is done I would like to build one with the same setup you speak of 1HD-T with a H-151 and H2FA, seems like it would be the perfect combination of power efficiency and Toyota reliability, I wish this configuration was offered stateside..... This is a great thread, keep the updates coming!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom