Fjcruiser conquering the STEP at the GAP! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Come on up to Payette next weekend. The Step will look pretty boring after that.

-Spike

I love the Payeatte trail, but I think it's kinda easy. I love it because of the location. Granted I have never done the last section, but then again, neither has anyone else in an 80 as far as I know. I'm not willing to chance rolling my rig into that pool on the last waterfall. Not worth it.

The Step I find challenging. Maybe because I don't want to take the easy right side line. If I can't go right over the middle of it, I will back off and let the next guy go, just like last year. The first time I went over it, it was right up the middle. I've seen spike go up the middle also. Going over to the right is kinda cheating, IMO.

I'm drunk on homebrew right now, take my opinion for what it's worth.:beer:

Come on up to Payette next weekend. The Step will look pretty boring after that.

-Spike

my good buddy will be in town, and we're considering it. won't really know until the last minute though... more likely we'll hang around town since we have 2 wimmins and 4 dogs between us.

When Wells wrote the book the trail was much harder than it's been in years since the Aspen Fire blazing. Rocks are cleared, places are wider, things shaved off. Thank God it's been getting back to a moderate status.

I question when Wells ran the trail? I first did the Gap some 15 years ago and it was much easier then it is today. Back then there was no bypass for the step. Although it was still a challenge it was nothing like it is today.

Whatever rating the trail is given I would not feel right recommending it to a newbie. The Gap is much more technical and challenging then Black Bear pass even in the rain.

I question when Wells ran the trail? I first did the Gap some 15 years ago and it was much easier then it is today. Back then there was no bypass for the step. Although it was still a challenge it was nothing like it is today.

Whatever rating the trail is given I would not feel right recommending it to a newbie. The Gap is much more technical and challenging then Black Bear pass even in the rain.

Selective reading again Phil. My rating stands.....for a 80-series with 33's and a lift/protection the Gap is moderate at best. The bad spots have bypasses. There's nothing hard to conquer on the trail except the optional spots.

Yes, the Gap is harder than BBP. BBP is easy except for danger.

15 yrs, 10 yrs, 5 yrs, whatever. I've run the Gap in it's current state with totally stock Taco's, FJC's, H3's, Disco I-III, 80's...locked up, not locked up, TRAC, no TRAC.....all complete the trail and without incident.

For the newbies, there's no misleading info here from me....bring your truck. Having some sliders and a traction device helps. If you're modified you can give some the harder options (like the Step) a go. Otherwise, no worries. Just take some care in a few spots.

I did that trail May 07 with Shotts: no bumpers, no lockers, no sliders and no damage. I didn't attempt the step at the time. Regardless of whether I would have made it up, without sliders the rock on the left would have surely modified my driver side rocker panel.

Frank, with a non-lifted locked Taco on 32's, however, made it up, and promptly snapped his passenger CV shaft on landing.

Some gorgeous views on that ride.

I did that trail May 07 with Shotts: no bumpers, no lockers, no sliders and no damage. I didn't attempt the step at the time. Regardless of whether I would have made it up, without sliders the rock on the left would have surely modified my driver side rocker panel.

Frank, with a non-lifted locked Taco on 32's, however, made it up, and promptly snapped his passenger CV shaft on landing.

Some gorgeous views on that ride.

That was a fun day despite me taking the WRONG path down the creek. :mad: I was sleeping!

That was a fun day despite me taking the WRONG path down the creek. :mad: I was sleeping!

Ok whatever! I think you were just "having fun". And I think that was possibly the first time that 1LegLance got to use his hi-lift and tire attachment?? He was all over that thing and it worked wonderfully... I was very impressed by the gear and the amount of help everybody contributed.

BTW, we busted out a hi-lift "tire attachment" this past weekend on Elvis and now I realize I really need to get one of those. Pics/story on YT.

Ok whatever! I think you were just "having fun". And I think that was possibly the first time that 1LegLance got to use his hi-lift and tire attachment?? He was all over that thing and it worked wonderfully... I was very impressed by the gear and the amount of help everybody contributed.

BTW, we busted out a hi-lift "tire attachment" this past weekend on Elvis and now I realize I really need to get one of those. Pics/story on YT.

Where's the Elvis pics? Me wanna see.

Warning: link to another forum. Pics start at post #85

"Warning" not needed as far as I know; I understand the thought process having spent some time on YT. However this board from what I've seen is mucho less nazi'ish in regards to any reference of other off road boards even existing:D

lol.

Thanks Josh. Already got the indestructable Sonoran Steel links intalled.

And since I've completely hijacked the FJ thread (sorry Trailbus!), SS makes those links for FJ's too.

.....I have thoroughly abused my SS links, I think your gonna like em. Did you go Rubicon Express joints?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom