Fjcruiser conquering the STEP at the GAP! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

BTW Tibaaals tires are soo flocking chunked and crappy I still cant believe he got up the step:lol: Dude when you get your meaty 35's I swear its going to be nuts!! Next obstacle is the one next to the chute on three feathers YEAHHhh baby I know we can get up that biatch!

BTW Tibaaals tires are soo flocking chunked and crappy I still cant believe he got up the step:lol: Dude when you get your meaty 35's I swear its going to be nuts!! Next obstacle is the one next to the chute on three feathers YEAHHhh baby I know we can get up that biatch!

Hahaha, yea I know the one you're talking about... that's gonna be severely more difficult than any of this wussy crap we've been doing! :D

I can hardly get myself to risk damaging my paid-off 80 with dents and nasty paint. You guys are nuts.

Great pics!
Woody needs to find out what's going on with the sporatic loading issues with mud. I get to post 4 and only see 5 pics, then nothing but white squares with red x's :frown:

BTW, folks, if you come out in Podunk, the Oracle Inn is now open, killer prime rib/sandwiches and a revamped sports bar. Give me some lead time and I'll meet you there.

Splits I wish I had your number I would have hit ya up!! we were pretty worn after the trail though so who knows..I was a hungry hippo though :cheers:]

Bump for those who missed the action!

I can hardly get myself to risk damaging my paid-off 80 with dents and nasty paint. You guys are nuts.

No worries for your 80. Go for it. And there's an easier line up the Step. If you have a lift and sliders and 33's go for it. It's an easy run unless the water in the CDO Wash is high.

Those pics show the green desert right now. Man, were the Dragoon's gorgeous this weekend.

John Shotts (shottscruisers) : photos : Council Rocks (Dragoon Mountains) 08/08- powered by SmugMug

lift, 33's, check. sliders, still waiting for someone to drop $900 in my lap. TUSD certainly isn't going to do it.

No worries for your 80. Go for it. And there's an easier line up the Step. If you have a lift and sliders and 33's go for it. It's an easy run unless the water in the CDO Wash is high.

Those pics show the green desert right now. Man, were the Dragoon's gorgeous this weekend.

John Shotts (shottscruisers) : photos : Council Rocks (Dragoon Mountains) 08/08- powered by SmugMug

Hey thanks for the "nice pictures" "good job going up the step" "looks like a fun run" comments always appreciated! :flipoff2: hijacker:lol:

... It's an easy run unless the water in the CDO Wash is high. ...

I disagree with rating it easy, Wells rates it as one of the most difficult in his book. Wells is conservative, obviously trail ratings are somewhat subjective depending on rig and driver seat time. But the gap does pose some challenges for a close to stock rigs and less experienced drivers. It's also relatively long, so recovery of a disabled rig makes for a long day.

I disagree with rating it easy, Wells rates it as one of the most difficult in his book. Wells is conservative, obviously trail ratings are somewhat subjective depending on rig and driver seat time. But the gap does pose some challenges for a close to stock rigs and less experienced drivers. It's also relatively long, so recovery of a disabled rig makes for a long day.

I've gotta agree with this assessment... less experienced drivers and stock rigs will make it, but it is certainly a challenge.

I think Shotts is giving us the "macho rating." ;)

When Wells wrote the book the trail was much harder than it's been in years since the Aspen Fire blazing. Rocks are cleared, places are wider, things shaved off. Thank God it's been getting back to a moderate status.

Please keep in mind I was responding to amused. For an 80 with a lift and 33's the trail is easy...OK, maybe moderate in a very few places and the bad places have bypasses. A rig like that is ready for the Gap any day and the comments were meant to encourage him to go. Heck stock Taco's and FJ's can run the Gap the way it is now.

As far as the Step? There is an easier line than the FJ one in this link if you have a LWB 80 and a lift and tires.

Gone are the good ole days:

25907498_6CcyZ-L.jpg

25908132_ybDNR-L.jpg

25926400_H285H-L.jpg

When Wells wrote the book the trail was much harder than it's been in years since the Aspen Fire blazing. Rocks are cleared, places are wider, things shaved off. Thank God it's been getting back to a moderate status.

Read Wells review and rating of Broken Arrow. The Arrow is quite different now as well. :) Trails and conditions change. ...

I agree, all trails change and will bet that none of the trails in the book are the same as when he ran them, with the majority being easier.

Please keep in mind I was responding to amused. ... Heck stock Taco's and FJ's can run the Gap the way it is now. ...

I have never wheeled with a.mus.ed, so don’t know his skill level, but many read this forum, so properly rating trails help lots of readers. Yes it’s easier than it was, even 100’s run it, well last time one out of two came out on a strap.:p

Yes it’s easier than it was, even 100’s run it, well last time one out of two came out on a strap.:p

Well, the Step is no easier now than then. So to "keep things straight for forum members"............A 100 can climb the Step just as easy as any other Land Cruiser. And or course a 100 could have ran it back then when it was "difficult" throughout. :p back atcha. :D

150448861_X6t4B-L.jpg

shottsuzj100 said:
A rig like that is ready for the Gap any day and the comments were meant to encourage him to go.

seems there was some miscommunication. i was on this run, and i've been to the gap on several other occasions. mine is the sole 80 in the pics. watch me as i put the pink panties on in this video: YouTube - a.mus.ed on C-Gap

the comment i made about them being nuts was mostly directed at tibaal, which i believe is both an understatement and abundantly clear to anyone who has ever wheeled with him and seen his truck. :D tbus and sonic should not be left out, however. they are also nuts in their very own, special little ways.

regarding the readiness of my truck, i completely agree that it is entirely capable of overcoming any obstacle the gap has to offer, although it still needs some protection. always use protection.

regarding my ability, i believe the previously mentioned video will clear the air if there are any questions. heck, i even peed first just to be sure i didn't piss myself while driving. i think there are some pictures of that somewhere too. the day was very thoroughly documented. for posterity.

to my fellow cruiser heads who ran the gap that day, i want to thank you ever so sincerely for catching me at so many of my very best moments throughout the day, and for going the extra mile and publishing them here, on the other related forums, and on youtube, so that my greatness will not be forgotten.

oh, and :flipoff2:

Gotcha! I didn't know you were there. Ya, that spot's tricky. The trick is to start parallel to the right line. You began how many other and myself have done. Rear too far left, then you head up the right ridge at a slight angle. You need to be far right and drive straight up the ledge and the wheel lift will be minimal or zippo.

I'll take the fall for that one... I was spotting him and said he should back down and get lined up from the base all over again. Someone in the small crowd of people on the other side called out to try it again from where he was and that got him into a really bad spot. Not saying it's that persons fault, just that spotting should always be a one-to-one affair... I should have taken charge as spotter, had him back off, and try it again on the proper line.

Glad you didn't completely wreck your rig! That was scary!

I'll take the fall for that one... I was spotting him and said he should back down and get lined up from the base all over again. Someone in the small crowd of people on the other side called out to try it again from where he was and that got him into a really bad spot. Not saying it's that persons fault, just that spotting should always be a one-to-one affair... I should have taken charge as spotter, had him back off, and try it again on the proper line.

Glad you didn't completely wreck your rig! That was scary!

You don't need to take any fall. :)

On my last trip up I was "off" some and climbed with the one wheel in the air the last half of the way. I know the line. I've done it 30 times. I goofed last time (and other times).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom