FJ80 v FJ62 injector connectors/engine harness differences (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know there is a bit of info on this buried in a few other threads, but I wanted to expand on this issue for an upcoming engine swap, and for future reference for others going down the rabbit hole.

Most of the differences between early and late 3FE motors is in the accessories mounting and the harness/connector and ECU. I am under the impression that the crankshaft bolt flange has some differences as well- The bolt size is larger in the later motors as evidenced by a different PN; the change taking place in late 89 IIUC based upon SOR pns. There is a rumor at this point in my research that indicates there may be a different bolt pattern as well. I was hoping anyone with FIRST HAND experience can confirm or deny this...

for context, this is in regards to me wanting to use a 1991 FJ80 3FE complete with all of its accessories under the hood of an early 1988 fj62 with a 4 speed manual conversion( hence the need to clarify the crank flange bolt pattern). My goal would be to use all the accessories mounted to the 91 engine, mate it to the 2F flywheel, and utilize the existing harness as much as possible.

anyone who has gotten deep enough into a 3FE to remove the engine harness knows that the injector connectors are old, brittle, and prone to breaking. They are also most likely awares that the 62 injectors and the 80 injectors have a different plug configuration. the low hanging fruit would be to simply splice ends from an 80 harness to the wiring from the 62- only problem here being that I haven't got an FJ80 engine harness to destroy. alternative to that may be to utilize the 62 fuel rail/injectors/sensors/etc. and retain the factory wiring. Problem there is the injector connectors on my existing harness are about as broke as I am(functional, but who knows how long for (he is a chinaman BTW ;p). engine harnesses are still avalible from Mr. Toyota for around 800 bucks. used harnesses are out there, but there would be so much unused it would almost be a waste. I have found several links to AM connectors, and have found one that matches the FJ62 injectors, but still need to find one that matches the FJ80 injectors( I will be begging for this info in the 80s forum and posting results back here...).

here is a link for the FJ62 connector>>>http://www.newunitedracetech.com/sh...male-housing-p-6881.html?cPath=19_36_68_39_41

I also found a link in aus-ebay that shows a connector that claims to fit fj62 thru fj80>>>http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1x-New-Co...J62-FJ80-4-0L-Fuel-Injector-INJ-/151084721406

note the skinny groove toward the top of the connector for the 62 plug, and the wiiide groove that the multi-use plug has...

I am hoping that this thread can prove to be somewhere that any detailed info regarding the differences between these 2 engines can be placed and found. please refrain from guessing or assuming- I ask for only first hand confirmed accounts in all aspects of these disparities. we need not address the items which are transferable without modifications- only the issues which require more creativity to circumvent. pics, part numbers, and sources are what we need here. anything I misunderstood or misstated here should be corrected, please. Thank You

I swapped an 80 series 3F-E into my '88 FJ62, then proceeded to mount an H55 behind that. I used my existing 62 harness, I did not have access to the 80 harness. I swapped my 62 dizzy in and had to swap a couple of temp sensors, though it might have been only one. Everything else fitted right up, including the TPS, even though the part # is different between the 62 and 80. I used a flywheel from a 2F and yes the holes in the 2F flywheel were smaller, I just reamed them out on the drill press to match and reused the flex plate bolts. The 80 series donor 3F-E I acquired still had the flex plate attached. I used a later model bell housing, one stamped "3F" or something like that. I used that because the frame I was using had the H55 crossmember already clocked for the later model bell housing.

Build thread: https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/3fe-5-speed-and-a-bit-more.402440/

I swapped an 80 series 3F-E into my '88 FJ62, then proceeded to mount an H55 behind that. I used my existing 62 harness, I did not have access to the 80 harness. I swapped my 62 dizzy in and had to swap a couple of temp sensors, though it might have been only one. Everything else fitted right up, including the TPS, even though the part # is different between the 62 and 80. I used a flywheel from a 2F and yes the holes in the 2F flywheel were smaller, I just reamed them out on the drill press to match and reused the flex plate bolts. The 80 series donor 3F-E I acquired still had the flex plate attached. I used a later model bell housing, one stamped "3F" or something like that. I used that because the frame I was using had the H55 crossmember already clocked for the later model bell housing.

Build thread: https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/3fe-5-speed-and-a-bit-more.402440/

so you're saying that the 88 fj62 injector plugs plug right onto the fj80 injectors? Thanks BTW!

link to injector plug repair kit for stock fj62 3FEs>>>http://www.bmotorsports.com/shop/product_info.php/cPath/109_175/products_id/571

img3035l.jpg

fj62 injector plug.jpg

so you're saying that the 88 fj62 injector plugs plug right onto the fj80 injectors? Thanks BTW!
Yes, I believe I looked up the injector part numbers on TOYODIY and the 80 series and 62 use the same injectors

Just verified, injector part #23209-61010, used on FJ62, FJ80 and FZJ80, so right up to 1997

ended up getting mine from injectorrx or something, 3.50 each. connections of terminals were still good so just removed housing and replaced with new pieces; kept terminals and grommet for rainy day fix(even used on on temp sensor wire after ripping the terminal off pulling the harness..)

Just verified, injector part #23209-61010, used on FJ62, FJ80 and FZJ80, so right up to 1997

Bumping an old thread.

I pulled my fuel rail, 1988 FJ62, and 4 of the injectors were 23250-65020, the other two cheap, no name aftermarket. I want a full matching set for my rebuild, so I need to pick up two more OE injectors to send off for clean/balance etc.

I checked cruiserparts.net for a used unit, they claim the correct injector for FJ62/80 to be 63250-21010. Then this thread shows yet a third P/N, 23209-61010, which I confirmed with the EPC as the correct unit. Still, leaves me wondering what is correct, the EPC or the injectors I just took off the truck.

Thoughts? @LAMBCRUSHER

To add to the documentation re: flywheel bolts:

The 3FEs in late FJ62s and all FJ80s have 11mm diameter flywheel bolts, early fj62s and all FJ60s have 10mm diameter flywheel bolts. Here are the details:

Toyota Service Bulletin dated 10-05-90

The length and diameter of the flywheel set bolt has changed. This results in changes to the crankshaft and drive plate as well.

Starting with:

Production Date October 1989

VIN JT3FJ62G*L1186060

Engine No. 3F-250226

See Post #26 here:

3FE differences 1988-1992

I remember Georg got me those bolts for the later 3FE to use with a flywheel...can't remember the application they are for tho...Beno?

Bumping an old thread.

I pulled my fuel rail, 1988 FJ62, and 4 of the injectors were 23250-65020, the other two cheap, no name aftermarket. I want a full matching set for my rebuild, so I need to pick up two more OE injectors to send off for clean/balance etc.

I checked cruiserparts.net for a used unit, they claim the correct injector for FJ62/80 to be 63250-21010. Then this thread shows yet a third P/N, 23209-61010, which I confirmed with the EPC as the correct unit. Still, leaves me wondering what is correct, the EPC or the injectors I just took off the truck.

Thoughts? @LAMBCRUSHER
Hi bro.

I know that its an old thread. I want to know if this injectors (23250-65020) were working good in your engine before you had pulled out, im looking to replace my 400k injectors because are getting me problems and im looking for this like an option.
Bumping an old thread.

Thoughts? @LAMBCRUSHER

Hi bro.

I know that its an old thread. I want to know if this injectors (23250-65020) were working good in your engine before you had pulled out, im looking to replace my 400k injectors because are getting me problems and im looking for this like an option.
Yes, it ran fine for me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom