FJ80 required maintenance and various repairs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I am doing some research into the FJ80 for the next family expo rig and come across a few threads that state they require quite a bit of $$ in maintenance and upkeep. ?? Of course I have read the numerous threads that speak to their robust nature and how reliable they are. I guess the real question is is that they require more in the terms of maintenance because of the nature in which the older (off road/expo) style rigs are being used in. Or is that their very nature requires more in terms of upkeep? I am accustom to the Wrangler, CJ, CJ2A and what they require. I am not look for a rocky buggy but more a forest service road, and light off road family style set up.

I am not sure how it would compare to a Jeep, but I'm sure in the longevity department these rigs would outlast them. Your amount of maintenance will depend on the competence, budget, and pride of ownership of the previous owner. Well maintained rigs are definitely out there, but there are more than their fair share of 80's which have been beaten, abused, and otherwise mistreated over the last 20-25 years. Keep in mind that there are quite a few parts which are going NLA, some of which have aftermarket replacements and some of which don't.

What it's all going to come down to is the condition of the rig. They're extremely hardy and durable, but if the PO hasn't gotten under the rig and checked anything in the last 250k, you may be on the hook for a lot of work. Again, I can't make a blanket statement but it'll just depend on what you find in a rig.

Reliability shouldn't be expected without a fair share of preventative maintenance, in my opinion.

Granted, some things may be inherently more reliable than others, but if you can't keep on top of PM everything will eventually fail. If nothing else, keeping fluids fresh and an occasional front axle service will net you a lot of mileage in an 80 series.

As someone who recently jumped into an 80 blind, I can give you a list of the things I've ran across, most of which are documented here already, but from one new owner to another potential new owner I'll offer up what I've learned so far.

- Front axle rebuild, would just count on it having to be rebuilt.
- Brakes, luckily my PO replaced them about 5k miles ago
- Fluids, easy and provide peace of mind
- PHH and other various coolant hoses, some easier than others
- Oil pump seal
- Distributor O ring
- Front main seal
- Suspension, if original it's shot. Up to you what you want to do there
- Power steering hoses
- Valve cover gasket
- Spark plugs & wires
- Random water leaks coming into the cab
- Exhaust

Annoying cosmetic stuff, this could be an ongoing section. Some will require attention sooner than others. Little things like speakers, head unit, lights, seats, steering wheel and the list goes on. Just depends on what is high on your list to repair or upgrade.

Then there's major issues such as the head gasket and other drive train components that fortunately I haven't had to address yet. For purchase purposes, you should be able to buy one in the $3-5k range and put another $3-5k in it to catch up on maintenance and upgrades (provided you do the majority of the work yourself) and have a solid vehicle. The other choice you have is to spend $10-12k for one that is virtually ready to go. The trick is to NOT spend $10-12k on what should be a $4k vehicle.

@White80 sounds like he fell into a deep hole. I'm on my 14th (or 18th, depending on how you count, I've owned some twice) Land Cruiser.

80 series are the best Toyota's ever built, in the wagon category, for me. (I'll admit to goosebumps near a 40)

New owners can depend on two things, IMHO: same PM as all other vehicles (fluids, brakes, hoses, belts, love, etc.) and rear main seals. Every truck is different, and some are really money pits. If you look over your new/prospective purchase, you'll know what you need before you buy. I'm unaware of sneaky, lurking problems, just waiting to happen, unlike some other makes and models.

These trucks are overdesigned, overbuilt and a joy to own, even when you (occasionally) hate them. I thoroughly disagree they are expensive to maintain and own; talk to an owner face to face and look at his truck while you do. Stop anyone who has one, just don't give him your phone number or email address.

I think the reason most of us gripe about the cost of upkeep is:

1) We prefer OEM parts and OEM parts are expensive. Compare a similar part for a jeep and an 80, I'll bet the 80 part is four times more.
2) All of these rigs are all old, and most are high mileage. I bought mine with 300k and there were more than a few items that needed attention. I do not think mine was previously neglected, it was just time.

Of the above-referenced pile of maintenance, none of it left me stranded or took the 80 off the road. In fact, now at 315k miles, I'll bet that if I hadn't done any of the maintenance, the truck would still be going. (But vibrating, failing emissions, puking birf soup on the street, etc) It takes a lot to kill one of these. Also, FWIW, I just did compression and leakdown and the numbers were like a new vehicle. I doubt there are any Jeeps out there that haven't been crushed, scrapped or permanently converted to yard art at 315k miles--my 80 is still nearly as healthy as the day it was born, despite my abuse.

The 80 is over built like many stated, unless the truck you are buying is well maintained, regular maintenance done and not neglected. Otherwise you are talking about a truck that is at least 20 years old or older. So expect things that will needs to be addressed unless it has been well maintained. I have a 97 with 135k miles and still with original radiator, so far only replaced alternator, brake rotors, brake pads, did the front axles rebuild, valve cover gasket, spark plugs, all fluid changed etc. I did replace driving belts, waterpump, fuel filter, thermostat, radiator hoses, tie rod ends, heater hoses as preventive, none of them failed. And still riding with original spark plugs wire. Never leave me stranded, and this is my 4th 80. The rest I owned has over 170k with no problem at all except normal wear and tear. My 97 is my expedition rig for offroad and camping rig hence lower miles, my daily driver is a 11 URJ201.

So if it required more upkeep and frequent maintenance? No, it doesn't. Many parts on the 80 is designed to last at least 100k or more from Toyota with normal driving condition. Now aftermarket parts will be different story. No fear, get one and you will be glad that you do =)

So I am doing some research into the FJ80 for the next family expo rig and come across a few threads that state they require quite a bit of $$ in maintenance and upkeep. ?? Of course I have read the numerous threads that speak to their robust nature and how reliable they are. I guess the real question is is that they require more in the terms of maintenance because of the nature in which the older (off road/expo) style rigs are being used in. Or is that their very nature requires more in terms of upkeep? I am accustom to the Wrangler, CJ, CJ2A and what they require. I am not look for a rocky buggy but more a forest service road, and light off road family style set up.

What you need sir, is called a newer 4 Runner, toyota makes those too.

@Malleus I wouldn't say I fell into a deep hole ;)

Outside of a few things, most of what I've done could have been put off for down the road. Like others, I enjoy tinkering on these things and it gives me something to do. Fortunately my PO didn't abuse mine, but it was a 3rd vehicle for him so as long as it started when he needed it, he was fine.

Doing the maintenance yourself is key. The OEM parts are reasonable (read expensive and over engineered) when you consider the original cost of these vehicles. Some parts are no longer available but I didnt need them anyway....... @beno is the parts guru. Hell, sometimes he just says numbers in my ear when I call him. These rigs are extremely capable right out of the gate and can be maintained reasonably. I have taken years to get to know my ride. She has never left me stranded, unless you count that one time my wife and I were in the middle of nowhere, where I couldnt figure out what was wrong and fix it. 340,000 miles and not one tow truck.....

Jump in, the waters fine. It only increased a few degrees at a time. You will enjoy the addiction.

How many people do you know that flush their cooling systems every 5 years? Or, change the fluids other than the oil at regular intervals? Probably not too many. These things can cause damage over time, especially with the cooling systems on these rigs, hence the "Head Gasket Scare" that is so common on this board. This results in us coming in and baselining them to prepare for the next 20. I consider it therapy to give mine the love that it deserves!

@Malleus I wouldn't say I fell into a deep hole ;)

Outside of a few things, most of what I've done could have been put off for down the road. Like others, I enjoy tinkering on these things and it gives me something to do. Fortunately my PO didn't abuse mine, but it was a 3rd vehicle for him so as long as it started when he needed it, he was fine.
Didn't mean to pick at you, I apologize if it sounded that way.

All sounds very reasonable. It actually sounds very reliable and no more or less so than most of the vehicles I have owned. Take care of it and it will take care of you. Mine should last a very long time given I try to stay up on the PM, fluids and what not. I am actively looking at post here, CL, Ebay for the right one.

Didn't mean to pick at you, I apologize if it sounded that way.

Not at all, didn't mean to sound defensive either. I've read several of your posts and guys like you are why I'm here, appreciate your input.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom