FJ80 Rear Lift Gate Won't Open (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

When I bought my 80, the tailgate power lock was totally in-op, and the key was no help at all. Couldn't even get the thing in the slot. Pulled out the mechanism and lubed it a bunch and now the power lock is sporadic. Hey- it's an improvement! :hillbilly:

But, I took the lock tumbler apart and all the tumblers were corroded into one solid block. Soaked it in diesel, a couple hours later it all came apart. Pay attention to the position and orientation of the tumblers and springs if you try this yourself. Actually a lot easier than it sounds. I went so far as to actually sand the tumblers to remove all the corrosion, used scotchbrite on everything else and reassembled. And, I was rewarded with a perfectly functioning key lock.

I read somewhere else here that the power lock issue might have something to do with a cracked gear wheel in the power lock module. Guess I'm going back in. :bang:

I've owned my 80 for 3 years now and the power lock has never worked on the rear gate. Now that I know it is SUPPOSED to have PL there, I may have to dig into it to determine the issue. I'm sure it's not hard, just annoying, but so is having to lock/unlock with a key constantly.

i also have the RS3000 alarm system on the truck, but no key fob, so I have no idea if it actually works or not. Lots of little annoying electrical things on my truck. I prefer mechanical to electrical when I have to work on them, but I like the convenience of the electrical stuff...(Power windows / locks)

I have a similar problem, with the upper lift gate exterior handle not working. Has nothing to do with the lock. With respect to Squash's photo, my issue is the yellow plastic snap which attaches the exterior handle actuator rod to the door lock control:
upload_2015-8-15_16-20-41.png

Here is that yellow plastic piece in my hand. In my hatch, that piece is broken so the exterior handle actuator rod does not connect with the door lock control. All I need is this little piece--see below, and you can see where it is broken too:
20150815_150632.jpg
Has anyone either acquired this piece from a vender or figured out a work-around?
Thank you all.

I'm sure you can't get just the plastic piece by itself unless you go to a junkyard. I would get some epoxy and try gluing it back together.

My little yellow tab broke just like this yesterday.
If you will look at the rod that is was on, it has a groove in the top part. You can put the rod back into the latch and barely get a small piece of wire wrapped around the rod (it won't slide off because of the groove).
It's a tight area and hard to get the wire on but mine has stayed in place for a couple of dozen test operations.

I need to clarify...
I cannot see how to do this unless you leave the entire lock in place. I used a piece of tape to hold the rod in place while I finagled the wire into the groove.

image.jpg
One last post. I didn't feel that my wite on the little post idea would stay. So I have tried another way. I wrapped some tie wire around the whole assembly. It has worked for a few days now. ( the other way did, too. I was just thinking that it may come off).
I tried to take a pic of it.

Nicely done! CDan has a workaround part for the yellow piece for only $10 but this is a great repair!

Update, received replacement "not oem but substitute" piece from CDAN yesterday, plug and play today, problem solved.

1441927592269.jpg

Trouble with 1996 FZJ80 rear lift gate power lock. Bought it used and did not know it had a rear power lock, i have used the key for a few years. Heard the electric clunk one day so removed the cover and opened the black plastic lid on the gear assembly. I found the motor and gears in good shape and functioning. The black plastic arm the large gear moves up and down is split where it is pressed on a shaft existing the rear of the assemble to lock and unlock the gate. Can this black lever be replaced, epoxied and pinned, or do I have to buy a new power lock module?

I know that this thread is older, however I'm having an issue with the lift gate on a 95 cruiser. Power locks will lock the lift gate, however they won't unlock. The knob above will actuate the lock and the outer keyed lock turns but won't unlock the gate either. Not sure what needs to be replaced on this.

P.S. - great site! I just bought my first cruiser, 95 with 170,000 miles for my daughter. Just starting to get into things to look at but this is the one that bugged me first!!

I know that this thread is older, however I'm having an issue with the lift gate on a 95 cruiser. Power locks will lock the lift gate, however they won't unlock. The knob above will actuate the lock and the outer keyed lock turns but won't unlock the gate either. Not sure what needs to be replaced on this.

P.S. - great site! I just bought my first cruiser, 95 with 170,000 miles for my daughter. Just starting to get into things to look at but this is the one that bugged me first!!
Weird, mine is the exact opposite. It will unlock with power, but will only lock manually. It's kind of a pain because I have to lift the gate and lock it anytime I go somewhere and need to lock it. I should just unhook the power to it so it only unlocks when I use a key and just keep it locked the rest of the time.

Never did. I took the lock apart as best I could and cleaned and then got it working. Never replaced anything so I won’t be able to help ya.

Ok. So, I took the entire handle mechanism out and there is a broken plastic clip where the "C" that rotates when you pull the handle from the outside makes contact. That doesn't explain to me why the handle on the inside of the hatch won't open the hatch though.

The Toyota dealership said I need to order a whole new mechanism. It's $175! Seems ridiculous when the only thing I see broken is a plastic clip.

It almost seems like it is in the latch. If looking at the latch from the back of the truck, the latch doesn't seem to release unless I manually push the bar over which then opens it. I lubed the heck out of it with PB Blaster but it doesn't seem to "pop" like it has for 20 years. Am I looking at two different problems here?

Still doesn't explain why my key doesn't work in the back lock. :bang:
Try the local boneyard for affordable replacement...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom