FJ80 Rear Lift Gate Won't Open (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

As an FYI, the ones at this link on amazon will "work" with a little force but they are not a match to the original toyota part...I was able to get one in and gate opens now so thats good :) But it does take a little persuasion as the dimensions are not quite right.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0040D0L02/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If anyone wants one to try, PM me and we can figure out how to get one to you...I have 9 more I don't need....vs buying a whole nother bag.

FYI, nearly 6 years and this still functions without a hitch.

Looks like I am gonna have to go this route and try one of these off Amazon LOL

Yet another example of "any LC problem you've got, no matter how specific or random, someone on this board has already had it and solved it."

I was glad to see the yellow clips are still sold on Amazon. Ordered, and will try it when it gets here tomorrow. Thanks guys!

I love IH8Mud. I just ran into this problem on my '96 FJ80 and tried everything short of removing the interior panel. The electric locking hasn't worked in years, so now I have two reasons to open it up and check it. Thanks folks.

With the help of a Toyota mechanic friend of mine, I just fixed my rear hatch lock today. The problem was that the key would not turn at all. Neither my new Toyota cut key or my original key worked on the rear hatch lock. Turns out Toyota cut the new key too deep. My original key was worn too deep and the rear hatch lock has rarely been used (manually opened). The fix was to file down a couple of the tumbler fins on the lock itself so that when the new key was inserted, the fins would retract enough to be able to turn. I hope this helps someone someday. It took about an hour to file the fins down by hand. Bonus - No parts needed.

If you’re like me and you happen to be tackling various door/hood latch issues at once, I have found that the clip I salvaged from my broken driver door handle works great for fixing the missing “yellow clip” which made my tailgate exterior handle inoperable.

Granted, I have approximately zero “mileage” on this as yet, but thought I’d point it out as it seems to fit just fine and works as expected.

4C3BA81C-239B-4B2B-9E89-BDDFB48196B4.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom