FJ80 Engine troubles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I let my wife drive my 80 and and think it blew a head gasket while she was driving. Got into the engine and can't really tell what has happened, but what ever it was it dropped all the oil and coolant. Any ideas? Anyone know where I could get an engine for it? Please Help!

Also could be the oil cooler which is much easier to get at. First off, what do you mean dumped all the oil in the coolant? Do you see oil in the radiator when opened?

First thing I would do is go pick up a head gasket test kit, about 30 bucks at any of the auto-marts. See what it tells you. If the test comes back negative you may want to look at the oil cooler first. I don't hear of those letting go often, but it happens.

what year? the 80 had the 3FE and then the 1FZ has an OBD I and II version.

Yeah, share some more details. Where did the oil dump from?

Open radiator cap and insert garden hose . Turn on water supply and leak will become obvious. To loose both coolant and oil would indicate oil cooler as stated.

Was it a catastrophic event. In other words, did it all let go at once, or did the engine start to run hot, or steam prior to failing?

I wasn't driving, my wife was and I was in her jeep putting new tires on it. That being said she knows nothing about vehicles and is pretty much worthless at telling me what happened. In her words "It made a funny sound, the windows fogged up and then the gas wouldn't work any more." From that I have gathered that the engine over heated. Boy did it! melted the labels off the oil filter. That being said All the oil came off the back of the engine (closest to the firewall) best I can tell. There was some leakage around the oil pump, but I am not really sure it the oil pump. I am trailering it in to a mechanic to help me tear it apart and find the point of failure. I assume it will need a new engine though. We put a camera scope into the valve cover and every thing looks okay, but until we get to open it up I won't know for sure. Any ideas from this? I can give more details tomorrow once I have had a chance to look at it some more.

i have a used engine i will sell you on a cheap :p

I'll have a 97 1FZ-FE in a month or so for $1500, 124K miles. Barely used !!!!!!!

You still looking for an engine ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom