FJ62 Replacement LED Headlights (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Saw there was a thread about lighting and mention of LED headlights there for the FJ60's with the round lights (made by Truck Lite) but I was wondering if there were other members with 4x6 rectangle lights on FJ62's. JW speaker has a great looking LED replacement light but paying almost $600 for a pair of those just seems too crazy.

Just picked up my 88 FJ62 and the original sealed headlight makes me feel like I'm driving in the dark. Conversion to h4 and using the newer LED HID H4 bulbs available now was my other thought. Regular H4 HID's is something I'd like to avoid cuz of the wiring upgrades needed. LED seems to be the better option with the best and cleanest light output.

Truck Lite also makes lights for the 62

I did see the truck lite 4x6 led but looked to have black inside, wasn't really liking the look. Was hoping another member has model they use and can recommend.

If you're trying to keep cost down you might want to consider a decent housing with an led bulb instead of a halogen. I think the better halogens are as bright or brighter than a single LED fitted however the dedicated LED from speaker are great.

I was next to a new Range Rover on the highway and I could easily see my cut-off over his.

If you're trying to keep cost down you might want to consider a decent housing with an led bulb instead of a halogen. I think the better halogens are as bright or brighter than a single LED fitted however the dedicated LED from speaker are great.

I was next to a new Range Rover on the highway and I could easily see my cut-off over his.

The JW lights look nice, but for the price it is crazy that they do not come ready to go. They are prone to flickering, and they come with a "anti-flicker" harness, but it is very low quality and doesn't work, so you have to buy new aftermarket ones for $50-70/each.

I've heard of the flicker issue in newer vehicles but I haven't had any issues with mine. I always thought it has something to do with running them on newer vehicles that normally have DRLs. They're about as plug and play as can be. They're even on the OEM wiring. I bought there DOT fog lamps to match and it's a very nice combo.

I've heard of the flicker issue in newer vehicles but I haven't had any issues with mine. I always thought it has something to do with running them on newer vehicles that normally have DRLs. They're about as plug and play as can be. They're even on the OEM wiring. I bought there DOT fog lamps to match and it's a very nice combo.

I have installed one set, and the included anti-flicker harness was absolute garbage. It is supposed to sit out in the environment, but the way it is assembled there is no way the package could even be considered water resistant, it also did not help reduce flicker at all. Spent another $75 on aftermarket anti-flicker modules that were actually water proof (the anti-flicker part was potted rather than in a gimmicky housing) and the flicker went away.

These were on a Jeep, and the Jeep JW rear lights were ordered as well. The rear lights look good once installed, but I fear that they will not last long. The plastic they are made of feels quite cheap and flimsy, I am not sure how well they will hold up over time. They are also not water proof, and one of them was foggy the next morning after installation (it did not rain that night).

The other thing on the tail lights I don't like is there is a resistor that goes into the harness. the resistor just hangs out inside the body while getting super hot. It comes with a little clip to fasten it to some sheet metal, but it is a pressure clip so it could very easily vibrate off. The resistor gets so hot it could melt wire insulator, or in the case of the one right beside the fuel tank, could cause a fire.

The JW fog lights were fine. Installation of everything was easy, I just don't think that the JW lights are good value considering the cost.

Comparing them to other hi-power halogens or a retro fitted HID, I agree. If we're looking at trucklites I'd have to say they are nicer. I've only used the original trucklites and the newer ones may be considerably better? I know that the main beams on JWs have fans to keep temps down so that's just another thing that could go wrong.

Who else out there makes a descent LED?

4"x6" LED CREE LIGHT BULB CRYSTAL CLEAR SEALED BEAM HEADLAMP HEADLIGHT NEW

I saw somebody on this forum was running these eBay 4x6's on theirs. Looks a little weird and I don't think they're street legal, but they do look like they work.

It's been a while, has anyone tried these ebay LED 4x6 lights? Presumably you don't need to mess with the harness since these would have a lower power draw than stock, is that correct?

I saw these on Amazon and they look like they would work as well. They are pretty well-reviewed. https://www.amazon.com/GENSSI-Headl...9TE6/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8&th=1

Last edited:
Interested to hear any results. Moving into the dark season here and would love plug and play alternatives. Getting closer to 22 hrs of of no sunlight a day and would be nice.

Please consider that LED's don't heat up so snow and ice will cover them up like a windshield without a defroster. For use in Alaska, I would recommend sticking with Halogens. Get a set of H4 and H2 bulbs and housings from Daniel Stern. They won't be cool looking techie bulbs but you will be able to see the moose in time to react. Check out this thread:

Four eyes of fire - headlight and harness upgrade on my 62

If it's dark and frosty out. ...LED may not be a good choice, no heat to melt the ice/snow.

this seems to be pretty good .. much more coz are low and hi in the same unit .. other than aesthetics ( which I don't personally like .. due to be to modern for an old model like we have ) would like to see how it's the light cut .. coz that's to me it's the biggest problem of running LED H4 style sets or HID on non adequate housings / projectors .. don't put the light where it should be ..

I tried the h4 led's from superbrightleds in a hella ecode housing but the output was horrible. It was bright but the no cutoff. I recently picked up the trucklites and I'm pretty happy with it. Wasn't a big fan of the look but its slowly starting to grow on me.

A few pics. got the highbeams on order.

l/side is the trucklite and the r/side is a halogen bulb in a hella ecode housing with oem wiring.

IMG_7722.JPG

IMG_7721.JPG

Frost and snow are an issue... ice fog particularly. Read the threads, guess I'll be looking at halogens!
Led might be a good addition but not in place of primary lighting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom