FJ62 Replacement LED Headlights (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I guess we better ask @ISRLC to turn them on for us. The website wasn't specific. It just calls them Low and Hi

Tks. are the 4 lights ON when high beams are ON?

Yep. I had to reverse the polarity. Not hard. I can walk you through it probably.

Agreed on the principle. I thought the Hella FJ62-custom harness bypass/upgrade and H4/H1 upgrade was pricey at half that...with likely a more holistic electrical improvement and at least equal the lighting performance. I think there is also an appearance factor that some may prefer with regards to headlights like the JW Speakers 8800s. They look cool even in the daylight hours.

I have this whole setup that you mentioned above sitting in my garage. Just need spare time for the install.

I did the whole h4 upgraded harness, housing and bulbs and it is night and day difference from the old school sealed lights. There used to be a guy on mud who made these super nice harnesses but it’s probably been 8 years since I installed it. I threw some higher rated bulbs in the brights too which is great when looking out for deer.

I did the whole h4 upgraded harness, housing and bulbs and it is night and day difference from the old school sealed lights. There used to be a guy on mud who made these super nice harnesses but it’s probably been 8 years since I installed it. I threw some higher rated bulbs in the brights too which is great when looking out for deer.

I bought one of those custom made harnesses from the same MUD member. Sadly he doesn’t make them anymore. Life got in the way and I never installed my Hellas w/new harness. Should have some time in a couple of weeks. Can’t wait to get it done. I also bought brighter bulbs.

Does anyone have leads to LED replacements but more period specific in terms of the look?

I bought one of those custom made harnesses from the same MUD member. Sadly he doesn’t make them anymore. Life got in the way and I never installed my Hellas w/new harness. Should have some time in a couple of weeks. Can’t wait to get it done. I also bought brighter bulbs.

I just finished upgrading my 62 with the ARB IPF m002/m004 harness and H4 ECEs on Saturday. I haven’t even swapped the high beams for H1s yet. Makes a huuuuge difference and am pleasantly surprised even with a $7 standard Hella bulb. I was worried I’d be disappointed.

I was willing to shell out more than triple the money for the JW speaker LEDs but hate the look of them. I’m glad I tried this option before taking the plunge. Now I can wait for a few years and hopefully there will be a cheaper/more classic looking alternative with the quality of JW.

Low beam
6E678A63-B036-4227-8E65-F5292DCCD060.jpeg

High beam
48A4D94A-FC99-4E13-8141-25399E9D4403.jpeg
E45129AD-1322-4CF3-8E7B-0F07A3D7F4EA.jpeg

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but would these JW Speaker headlights work? At 196 a piece they would be something I'd bite on. Just wondering if anyone's used them. Amazon product ASIN B01N9QTCJA

I have a 60 and I use the JW speakers. Not the absolute brightest but one of the sharpest cut-offs for sure.
I don't see why you would have an issue.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but would these JW Speaker headlights work? At 196 a piece they would be something I'd bite on. Just wondering if anyone's used them. Amazon product ASIN B01N9QTCJA
I am looking into this as well. Youtube video of JW Speaker 8800 low beam install on a FJ62.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="Toyota Headlight Conversion with JW Speaker 8800 Low Beams - YouTube" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hi, regarding an upgrade to a FJ62 (1989) can someone confirm that the latest JW Speaker Headlights Model 8800 Evolution 2 , both Low and High beam are direct "plug and play" and do not require modification to the OEM connector/wire harness, and that all four lights will stay on when in High Beam Mode? Thanks in advance much appreciated.

FYI, In June 2020, I contacted JW Speaker Support about their LED headlights, Model 8800 Evolution 2 for FJ 60-62 Series.

They indicated that “80’s Toyotas have something called Positive Ground, or Ground Switching. Our lights are LED and require a negative ground to function.”

In reading several Threads/Posts I see several of you have made your own adapters and/or modifications to convert the connection to a negative ground (for various LED headlight brands).

I’m asking if anyone knows of someone/vendor who makes/sells an adapter/harness specifically for the 1989/FJ62 U.S. Specs. for upgrade to the JW Speaker Model 8800 Evolution 2 (for both Low & High beam connections). Thanks, I much appreciate your help.

FYI, In June 2020, I contacted JW Speaker Support about their LED headlights, Model 8800 Evolution 2 for FJ 60-62 Series.

They indicated that “80’s Toyotas have something called Positive Ground, or Ground Switching. Our lights are LED and require a negative ground to function.”

In reading several Threads/Posts I see several of you have made your own adapters and/or modifications to convert the connection to a negative ground (for various LED headlight brands).

I’m asking if anyone knows of someone/vendor who makes/sells an adapter/harness specifically for the 1989/FJ62 U.S. Specs. for upgrade to the JW Speaker Model 8800 Evolution 2 (for both Low & High beam connections). Thanks, I much appreciate your help.

I bit the bullet and ordered the lights from Amazon. The existing wiring works fine for the lights however the high beams and low's will not be on at the same time. That I still need to figure out. I did have to swap the white and black wires on the low beams to get them to work.

Here is a shot of the old and new.

IMG_20200612_142858.jpg

Here are both installed. The difference is "night and day" :oops:

IMG_20200612_144545.jpg

I bit the bullet and ordered the lights from Amazon. The existing wiring works fine for the lights however the high beams and low's will not be on at the same time. That I still need to figure out. I did have to swap the white and black wires on the low beams to get them to work.

Here is a shot of the old and new.

View attachment 2348252

Here are both installed. The difference is "night and day" :oops:

View attachment 2348250
Nice...... good job. i'll likely do the same. would like to eventually make all lights work as stock. After 31 years of driving my truck, one gets used to using the lights/switches as intended. thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom