FJ62 newbie and new to ih8mud (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi my name's Chris. I recently purchased an fj62 for my wife that were building to be her daily driver. We've wanted a Land Cruiser for years and finally found one for a decent price. It's a 1988 fj62, we have completely disassembled it and the frame is off to be blasted and powder coated. We live in Bradenton Fl and tried to find a machine shop that is familiar with the 3FE motor but didn't have any luck. I found a guy in Tampa that builds Porsche race motors and spoke to him on the phone and he was willing to look at our motor. We dropped it off for him to do a leak down test a couple of weeks ago. He called me a couple days ago and said that over 60% was leaking and he couldn't do a proper leak down test to try and diagnose the motor because it was leaking so bad. He told me to rework the head it was going to cost $1500 plus parts and then we could go from there. He recommended a full engine rebuild and said the cost could be anywhere from 5k to 7k. We are doing the majority of the work to our cruiser ourselves for the fun of it and to save money. I'm finding out that parts are not always available and our cruiser is going to need a lot of little things that add up very quickly. Im not a mechanic but have quite a bit of tools and am mechanical inclined. It's a blessing to have found this forum to say the least ! I'm not sure which way to go with the motor but I definitely want to keep it Toyota. Anyway Just wanted to Introduce myself and say I'm thankful for this forum. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

IMG_6516.jpeg

IMG_6792.jpeg

IMG_6804 2.jpeg

IMG_6604.jpeg

IMG_6653.jpeg

Can anyone give me an idea of what it typically costs to do a full rebuild on a 3FE motor ? I'm in Florida if anyone knows of a reputable shop that is familiar with these engines. The machine shop said 'I'm probably looking at 5k in labor plus parts. It looks like I can get quite a few parts through Toyota for the head rebuild for around $1,800. Any insight or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I'm torn between trying to find a decent / running with good compression motor to drop in or do I bite the bullet and go for a complete rebuild on the motor I have and know it's going to be reliable. Thanks !!

Welcome to the insanity. There are a cpl guys from the forum in Florida and id suggests talking to them...if only I could remember who :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I called cruiser Matts shop and left a message hopefully he'll reach out soon. Wow $650 for a complete head rebuild sounds like a deal ! Thanks for that link WSOP. I've been hearing a lot about doing an LS swap and I think it totally makes sense but I can't help feeling like if I did that it wouldn't be a Land cruiser...

My brain hurts from searching for cruiser parts and getting sucked into the forum and YouTube black hole lol. The next project is to get the front and rear diff's freshened up before the frame gets back from powder coating.

Hi, got your voicemail earlier but haven’t had much phone time lately since I lost some of my shop help recently.

Happy to help with parts and subassemblies for whichever direction you go, OEM rebuild or LS.

I’m also a vender for a few suspension brands if you haven’t made a decision there yet

3FE head rebuild was about $650 for me last summer, so that’s in the ballpark. I’ve heard of complete rebuild quotes in the 6-7k range as well. I’m doing mine on my own… although slower than I’d like.

Hi, got your voicemail earlier but haven’t had much phone time lately since I lost some of my shop help recently.

Happy to help with parts and subassemblies for whichever direction you go, OEM rebuild or LS.

I’m also a vender for a few suspension brands if you haven’t made a decision there yet
Thanks Matt, sorry I missed your call yesterday I’m getting some last minute turkey hunting in. I’ll give you call this afternoon or tomorrow.

Hi Chris,
I'm new to the forum and owning an FJ62 as well. I'm in Northern VA, But there is a chance we send our TLC down to Parrish Florida in the Fall. Good luck with your build and I hope you have it up and running soon.

Hi Chris,
I'm new to the forum and owning an FJ62 as well. I'm in Northern VA, But there is a chance we send our TLC down to Parrish Florida in the Fall. Good luck with your build and I hope you have it up and running soon.
1990FL62SPARTAN I hope your 62 is in better shape than mine lol. I live about 20 minutes from Parrish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom