fj62 "carb" cooling fan (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

This is my theory-
It's clearly not needed for the 3F-E, but since the 62 and 60 used the same body panels and there was a vent already cut out on the driver's side and a big honkin hole in the engine compartment where the 60 fan mounts, someone at Toyota during project development meetings just said F it, slap it in there. It won't do any harm and will seem to justify the vent in the side panel that otherwise would be doing nothing.

Bottom line: The FJ62 manifold fan is eye candy.

This is my theory-
It's clearly not needed for the 3F-E, but since the 62 and 60 used the same body panels and there was a vent already cut out on the driver's side and a big honkin hole in the engine compartment where the 60 fan mounts, someone at Toyota during project development meetings just said F it, slap it in there. It won't do any harm and will seem to justify the vent in the side panel that otherwise would be doing nothing.

Bottom line: The FJ62 manifold fan is eye candy.

The fan is called a "carburetor" cooling fan to prevent vapor lock, however the FJ62 is an EFI engine. Either the vapor lock somehow also occurs with non-carburetor engines (EFI) or Toyota felt like there was still a benefit to cooling down the engine compartment after the car turns off and the radiator/water stops cooling the engine.

I believe this was fixed with the electronic radiator fans staying on, to cool down the engine compartment. The FJ62 still has the radiator fan connected to a belt so it stops when the engine shuts down.

Interesting. On my 2fe 60 I have the 60 fan but the 62 sensor, and it seems to come on just as often as the stock 60 setup. I run a little cold, but I also don't have manifold heat shields...

Hello all...can anyone send me a picture of the sticker on the top of this cooling fan? I'm restoring my truck and I'm recreating all the missing stickers. A little OCD...I know.

I live on O’ahu. It’s hot as hell here.

The previous owner of my ‘87 FJ60 removed the relay and set the CCF on a switch.
I’ve turned it on now and then but have never NEEDED it on in any situation. It has a Holley carb on it.

Not sure what this means but just my experience

Hello all...can anyone send me a picture of the sticker on the top of this cooling fan? I'm restoring my truck and I'm recreating all the missing stickers. A little OCD...I know.
I found this on CityRacer LLC...does anyone know if it is model correct for the FJ62?

I know it says FJ62 on the advert, but that isn't always correct.

R

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom