FJ60 springs on FJ55 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Will it work?
1974 FJ55 stock height SUA.
I may have access set of fj60 lift springs im wondering how hard it would be to use the 60 springs on the 55.
Does anyone know the spring pin differences and lengths?

Thanks

I used 60 axles and OME springs on mine, but not sure of the difference in lengths. You might want to call Kurt at Cruiser Outfitters, He's the go to guy for springs, etc.

Good luck with it.

From what I understand:
- Shackle pins are bigger on the 60
- Shackle bushes are bigger on the 60 as well and also
- shackle width is also wider than the hangers on the 55.

If you can get some large eye shackle and fixed pin mounts all the 60 gear should go on without issues.

Hope this helps.

I will be putting 60 springs in the rear of my pig soon, but haven't yet confirmed with associated measurements, etc.

Search '75 series spring swap on my 55'
There's a great thread started by Archie and although it's mainly about using 75 series stuff there is some mention of using 60 series gear. Pretty sure you'll encounter similar issues fitting 60 series springs as you would 75....

fj55 spring eye is centered- the only cruiser leaf that is centered. fj60 springs are about 1/2 shorter in the front, but without redrilling, they would push the axle back about 3". if a guy were okay to relocate the hangers, then any spring could work. the trouble with these rigs is, there is few bolt on anythings for them...

Will it work?
1974 FJ55 stock height SUA.
I may have access set of fj60 lift springs im wondering how hard it would be to use the 60 springs on the 55.
Does anyone know the spring pin differences and lengths?

Thanks

Glad you are still playing with the Pig Carlos!

I'm going to have to replace the 60 springs I have in the 40, with the 2 main leaves from the 55 so the diff is located in the correct spot. As Lambcrusher said, the fixed to centerpin measurement of the 60 spring is about 530mm vs the 600mm of the 55 springs.

I used 60 front springs on the front and rear of my 55. I took the main leaf off 60 springs and replaced it with the main leaf off the 55 springs. This I kept the small OD bushes.

those 60 series front springs are about 4" shy of the fj55 rear springs...how does this mod affect your flex? ride quality? seems like it would leave the front edge of the main leaf exposed in the rear......

Thanks for the reply guys.
TJ yes sir I still have the pig i just got new shoes for it :)

I used 60 front springs on the front and rear of my 55. I took the main leaf off 60 springs and replaced it with the main leaf off the 55 springs. This I kept the small OD bushes.

Where did you source your bushes? I haven't tired to source any yet but am curious where to look. I have a heap of 35mm bushes here, did you just shaft the OD down to fit?

those 60 series front springs are about 4" shy of the fj55 rear springs...how does this mod affect your flex? ride quality? seems like it would leave the front edge of the main leaf exposed in the rear......

It was a long time ago....... I'm pretty sure on the front I just swapped the main leaf with the eyes. On the rear I think I may have
kept the main leaf with the eye and the second leaf with the military wrap. Then I used the leaves out of the front 60 pack, including the leaf with the military wrap (I cut the actual wrap off).

What kind of change did the make on ride height and ride quality?

I gained approximately 50mm in the front and 15mm in the rear. The rear was already quite high as it had an add a leaf already installed. Ride quality was massively improved as it made it a lot softer. I did also fit Bilstein shocks at the same time.

This is a spreadsheet that I made upm years ago from research. If you look at the spring rates it all works out pretty well;

Where did you source your bushes? I haven't tired to source any yet but am curious where to look. I have a heap of 35mm bushes here, did you just shaft the OD down to fit?

I bought bushes, greaseable shackles and pins, U bolts and a new steering damper from Belton Suspension in Melbourne. They were one of the few companies that supplied full suspension components for the 55. They also supply a lot of other companies who then re sticker their gear. Offroad Australia 4×4 Suspension | The house of the 4wd Suspension

Dobinsons also supply a full range of 55 suspension; FJ55 (1970-1980) | Dobinsons Spring & Suspension – Official Site

first and second leaf with the rest from a 60 series front on a rear fj55 spring, I could see working. good trick! >good tech!

Did the rear springs in my 55 today..

Custom spring pack:
top is my original rear leaf springs from my 40. they are mostly a 60 series pack with the load leaf removed, then 3rd, 4th and 5th longest leaves are from a 75 series.
middle is the hybrid 55 pack with 2 longest being from the 55, as well as the 2 short load leaves, rest (i guess 3 x 75 and 1 x 60 leaf) from my pack.
the bottom is the original 55 pack.
20160103_154753.jpg

20160103_154801.jpg

20160103_154229.jpg

My still bolted together original custom spring pack based on a 60series pack with the load leaf removed (at the top of frame).. with the centrepin unbolted on the original 55 pack below.
20160103_152845.jpg

Because the 55 came with the load leaves and I figured I would be doing 'some' towing (trailer full of wood/landscaping supplies/etc) It would be worth keeping the load leaves as they would only get used when the rear end is really loaded up. can anyone see any issues with this?

I have not seen factory fj55 springs with load leafs. you devils get all the fun.

Because the 55 came with the load leaves and I figured I would be doing 'some' towing (trailer full of wood/landscaping supplies/etc) It would be worth keeping the load leaves as they would only get used when the rear end is really loaded up. can anyone see any issues with this?

I’m using the OME (CS006R) 75 series heavy rear springs in the rear of my 55 and just moved the rear hangers back 5”. These springs have overload (helper) springs and I don’t notice them when driving unloaded but when driving loaded with stuff on the roof rack and full tank (50 gal) to pig will squat and I believe they help.

I've always thought this^^^was the best case best all Toyota fix, but haven't afforded the option in my builds. If cost and time were no concern, then this is what I would stick back there.... Now if a guy were to relocate the hangers, then the questions of which springs to run goes right out the window because it's open season for choice. I have always thought the best real-world case would bear availability and cost into the equation...once you undo the shackles of factory hangers, then the gloves come off and anything is "possible"...you could EASILY run 60 series- or whatevers- fronts and rears, or rears, or fronts at all 4 points while keeping things like driveshaft lengths and fenderwell clearances and etc. etc. where they need to be. But short of mixing bits of 60 packs into 55 packs, or relocating hangers, I don't think the US owners have alot to gain from use of a stock 60 series spring.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom