FJ60 hydro assist porting.. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have to agree with Mace. I did recently use the contact he posted and it worked just fine.

Here is a link to the axle build I just did. It has pictures and words.

https://forum.ih8mud.com/hardcore-corner/353726-axle-build-ram-assist.html

You seem to be some what frustrated. This site has so much information its hard to believe you can't find what you are looking for. Many different people are doing different things to their rigs so finding the exact match to what you are looking for can take some time but its the variety of what's being done that makes this site so interesting.

Mr Mace ,

Non ever was intentioned..

This is a licensed trade I am in.

WE , would say AC Delco # 1234 or along those lines so many could follow , and the Parts dude's could do an EZ cross from Delco to echeman or blue-streek ETC.

All Makers and Name's are just for EG, and are made up for here.

More like Sagnaw - Rockwell - Timkin ;)

Anywhos ,,,NO Worries Mate.

VT

I never got a P# from the guy that I posted. Sorry amigo.

Mr PPFJ60..

Nice work !!

I MIG , TIG ,plasma etc ~~~ and COLD WELD with sand to dissipate the heat without temp warp..
If your not equipped (most aren't) Ask a Welding supply house next time they have a demo sale show / trade show,, ETC and get a free weld job .

Nice work , and thinking on some of the stuff your doing.. You have a Brake (Metal Bender ) ..

Anywhos ,, Looks good mate ..

VT

Yikes, sorry friend. I went online and looked it up per the application and it was there, didn't really think twice. Part numbers do help though so here you have it:

on the box it states it is Duralast 8770. there is another longer number that is 0810 8770 16V.

I looked it up with just 8770 typed in and it came up along with a few other things:

AutoZone.com | | Power Steering Gear Seal Kit | REPAIR KIT

Also, if you search by application it comes up also. I went to www.autozone.com and entered "1986 Toyota Land Cruiser" as the vehicle, then clicked on steering and suspension, then clicked on power steering gear seal kit, and vioala it was there:

AutoZone.com | | Power Steering Gear Seal Kit | REPAIR KIT

Is that a little bit clearer for ya?

No sir ..

But if you say , Autozone has the part , Post the number..

If you walk in and ask most " Children now" The reply is sometimes , They don't make those !!!

OR in real dealer words NLA.

Go back up and read , Autozone is said to have the kit , But no number is supplied.

angry ,, No , Just have heard the above too many times, even if i have a sample in my hand..

I have read many threads on here for doing the rebuilds to basic service seal replacement..

Read the rear brake disc mod , and the difference between parties
, The ONE GENT nailed it .. Master cyl needed the 4psi residual valve removed.

Just like the turbo thread that , Mr Rufas (https://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-jdm-parts/340952-turbo-charger-3b-diesel-manifold.html#post5328041) and I had a chat over, Alls cool , But the internet is not the truth, only a read of one others opinion , But as for Jokes / off humour / slanted words , Most different countries have differant humour , and Ours is one of the ~~~~`, Sorry ..

Mr Mace , I do Enjoy your posts plus,,
bUT MOST here type out the words without pix to only try to say what the picture is about , OR all type and NO real picture to show the work in progress / updates..

I HOPE i have put my type across correctly.

VT ,

Not Gay , But ;)

EDIT : Maybe not Children , But that poor altitude of i don't really want to work and look up stuff.

There seems to be alot of that going around.

PS, I haven't even broken my box open yet, so I don't know if it's the right one yet. also, mines a late 85, so I ordered the seal kit for an 86 like I order most stuff.

Yes , Thanks Mr rover67

Was only trying to make sure that Part #'s and info gets posted.
In 3 months im ready to get dirty and sealed..

I should get permission for using the bosses Did-cam ,So i can start showing off the POS test truck and it's 3 speed electro fan system ..
Spent the day building / tig welding a fan shroud to hold the New system.

VT

Well, more news.

I rebuilt the steering box this weekend and two the teflon seals in the valve assembly were not the right ones. The ones that came in the autozone kit were slightly too big.

The seals for the input shaft, and the sector shaft were right, all of the teflon rings and O rings for the sector shaft, power piston, and covers were fine. If you are doing a rebuild on a box and not taking apart the valve assembly the kit will work fine... otherwise you won't be able to replace two of the teflon rings. In other words, if you rebuild it by the book and don't take apart the valve assembly you'll be fine with what they provide.

Mine didn't "need" the two teflon rings in the valve assembly replaced, but I did it anyways since I had a partial kit from a OEM FJ40 box that had the two rings in it, and I had it apart.

I'll post some pictures later so you all can see what I am talking about.

The box works great and is leak free now though, so that's great.

Hope Mace dosen't mind, but here are a few more pictures to add of the process. First ones are of the teflon rings on the valve assembly. you can see that the white with green specled one is too big, that's the one the Autozone kit came with. The solid white ones are the OEM toyota ones that I had laying around for the 40 box.
IMG_2899 (Large).jpg
IMG_2902 (Large).jpg
IMG_2904 (Large).jpg

last pic of the two correct rings installed. There is a smaller third ring that goes on the right side of the shaft near the piral for the balls. That one was the right size from the Autozone kit.

and pics of sticking the balls back in. I just slid the power piston on the spiral peice and started sticking the balls in. drop a few in and push them around using a hex key. Just make sure they go in towards the left and none fall over to the right section of the spiral. A littel tranny fluid helps them slip in nicely.
IMG_2905 (Large).jpg
IMG_2910 (Large).jpg
IMG_2911 (Large).jpg

More pics of the balls going in. once you see the balls start to show on the left side, grease up half the tube and pack it full of balls too. stick the other half of the tube on and slide it into place. voiala.. all balls back in.
IMG_2912 (Large).jpg
IMG_2913 (Large).jpg
IMG_2914 (Large).jpg

HOW DARE YOU!!!

Sweet :)
Thanks for pointing out the autozone kit.

:)

you know, I should have just gotten a kit from teh contact you posted. I emailed him and he emailed me right back with instructions for ordering it. I'll get the next kit from him. I have no Idea why i thought the Autozone kit would be OK.

Lots of autozone stuff is just fine. And handy to boot.

I do wonder tho, Is there a chance that you nicked the autozone seal during instal? On a couple of the seals I put on I had to compress them slightly to get them to go in without damage. Just an idea :)

I have a box sitting on my bench waiting for a rebuild so that it can get sent to my brother for power steering.
I'll drill and tap it for HA just because. He probably will never ever use that tho lol

I thought maybe it was just me, that I had streatched them too much when I stuck them on the valve assembly, but it seemed like there was no way they'd compress enough to go in. I couldn't really get them in past the threads on the outer housing of the valve assembly. When I used the OEM ones, it all went together really easily.

Anyways, you're right, I shouldn't knock the Autozone stuff, it has saved me more than once :)

I didn't port this one since I was in a hurry to finish the job, but will do the one that came off of the truck when I installed this one again just because. too easy not to! Right now my focus it to tie up the little things for Cruise Moab and weekends are running out for me.

I'm doing the autozone reseal kit on my steering box right now and with teflon seals you need to resize them to fit. This is just like in the auto transmissions and use a special tool for resizing. After resizing mine they fit just fine and I used the cheater redneck way to resize them so I didn't have to buy any special tools.

The factory tool is conical shaped so you can expand them to fit over whatever shaft/shoulder to get to the groove and then there is another tool that is conical shaped on the inside to shrink/resize the seal into the groove. I found that I can carefully stretch the seal over the shoulder with a fine pick (picks are very helpful with dealing with most kinds of seals so those are good to have) and then I use a redneck resizer. This is not my idea but I used it during my tranny rebuild but simply use a hose clamp and protect the seal with something. I cut up a spray paint cap and used that to protect the seal while I cinched the clamp down to shrink the seal. I am looking at a plastic cup we have in the kitchen I could steal and cut that could also work. It is conical and looks to be very close to the size I would have needed so there are a couple of ways to get it done. If you are a stickler for factory tools they are listed in the FSM.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom