FJ60 hydro assist porting.. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I really want to say it was in the 85 model year. To coencide with the tranny spacer.

I'll measure the bolt patterns and see if we can have a couple of people compare their boxes.

No leaks yet, But I have not run it at hwy speeds yet. That is when it got bad.

Everything is a lot tighter than it was and feels great.

I have not put a ram on the rig yet. Haven't had a need. I might one day when I get around to it.

Hell, bob just got a front driveshaft ;)

No leaks yet, But I have not run it at hwy speeds yet. That is when it got bad.

Everything is a lot tighter than it was and feels great.

I have not put a ram on the rig yet. Haven't had a need. I might one day when I get around to it.

Hell, bob just got a front driveshaft ;)

LOL, your ending up like me. 15,000 projects all in progress, and no end in sight. Sounds like the hydro assist would be a pretty easy task. I'd definitely want to mod my PS pump to do it though (given I've got hydro assist I'll be adding to my brakes hopefully before winter comes), and I can't for the life of me figure out if the procedure for a 62 pump is the same as the procedures for others that I've found.

Mace,
Any updates on this? Were you able to make a final assessment of the kit you bought? Im probably gonna be doing the ram assist in the next couple of months. Anyone know the length of the lines to run? Any mods to the pump required?If I do this BEFORE the vortec, will the fittings be the same?

Thanks,Chicago

AAAAAAND, can anyone show me some pics of their final assembly. Im curious as to how the ram sits and what brackets are needed to mount it.

Thanks,

Chicago

Works perfectly

Good to go!

There are some pretty good posts in the hardcore section that go over mounting.

Mace,
Any updates on this? Were you able to make a final assessment of the kit you bought? Im probably gonna be doing the ram assist in the next couple of months. Anyone know the length of the lines to run? Any mods to the pump required?If I do this BEFORE the vortec, will the fittings be the same?

Thanks,Chicago
You can use the same re-usable type fittings I have on my FJ40 and guesstamate how much hose you need then cut to fit. The Hose place across from Baldinis on Rock will help you figure out what you need. It sounds like the Yota fittings work with Sag from what Mace posted, if you need longer hoses when the Vortec goes in you can just buy a new piece, shorter trim to fit.

How would a ram work with the OEM PS pump?
I noticed that the steering got real tight at low RPMs on a trail run a couple of weeks ago. I can't imagine it would have the stones to drive the gear box AND a ram.

It's not perfect, but it would give you more assist on the trail. It may just be "slow"

It's not perfect, but it would give you more assist on the trail. It may just be "slow"
Is there anything I can do with the stock pump? Maybe a little blue pill or something?

Mine has leaky hoses so I have to screw with it anyway.

AAAAAAND, can anyone show me some pics of their final assembly. Im curious as to how the ram sits and what brackets are needed to mount it.

Thanks,

Chicago

San_Francisco_038.sized.jpg

my mounts

San_Francisco_040.sized.jpg

my pump mod .. the stock pump works but it needs more fluid mines too tall so I cut a hole in thehood to clear it... works great BUT I can over steer it ... my ram is from redneck ram

San_Francisco_038.sized.jpg

my mounts

San_Francisco_040.sized.jpg

my pump mod .. the stock pump works but it needs more fluid mines too tall so I cut a hole in thehood to clear it... works great BUT I can over steer it ... my ram is from redneck ram

SAHWEEET!
Thanks for the pics man!
That is what I was hung up on as to how the whole thing mounts in.

Chicago

So can anyone post up their experiences with the on road handling with the ram assist? I do still have to drive it to and from the trail.
As RustyTLC stated, at low RPM's with the stock set up and front auto lockers, the steering gets REALLY TIGHT...
When I first installed my longs and the locker I had planned on doing this.
So the Ram posted here from that wholesale place is good for this set up?

Mace,
When you say "slow" to turn on the trail, HOW slow are you talking? Have that ever put you in danger while wheeling? Is it REALLY noticeable?
Is there a way to make it better?
As Im to understand, the valving on the toy PS pump is a bit puny and is the reason there are the issues with turning while at low RPM's with a locker in or bound up?

Thanks for the help here Gents

Chicago

So can anyone post up their experiences with the on road handling with the ram assist? I do still have to drive it to and from the trail.
As RustyTLC stated, at low RPM's with the stock set up and front auto lockers, the steering gets REALLY TIGHT...
When I first installed my longs and the locker I had planned on doing this.
So the Ram posted here from that wholesale place is good for this set up?

Mace,
When you say "slow" to turn on the trail, HOW slow are you talking? Have that ever put you in danger while wheeling? Is it REALLY noticeable?
Is there a way to make it better?
As Im to understand, the valving on the toy PS pump is a bit puny and is the reason there are the issues with turning while at low RPM's with a locker in or bound up?

Thanks for the help here Gents

Chicago

Are you planning on running this with the stock FJ62 pump? I've been wanting to go hydro assist at some point (after an SOA and bigger tires, whenever I get around to that) along with a (hopefully soon) hydroboost conversion on my brakes. Apparently FJ62 pump's aren't recommended for any more demand than a stock steering system will put on them. I know Sag boxes can be modded to accommodate putting more demands on them, but have never seen a Sag conversion done on a 3FE. I've been curious to get a Sag pump and tinker around with it to see how difficult it would be to fab up a bracket and adapt it in, though I think many would be too tall to fit under the hood when mounted in place of the factory pump.

Are you planning on running this with the stock FJ62 pump? I've been wanting to go hydro assist at some point (after an SOA and bigger tires, whenever I get around to that) along with a (hopefully soon) hydroboost conversion on my brakes. Apparently FJ62 pump's aren't recommended for any more demand than a stock steering system will put on them. I know Sag boxes can be modded to accommodate putting more demands on them, but have never seen a Sag conversion done on a 3FE. I've been curious to get a Sag pump and tinker around with it to see how difficult it would be to fab up a bracket and adapt it in, though I think many would be too tall to fit under the hood when mounted in place of the factory pump.

For the time being, YES, until the Vortec goes in.
For a sag pump, you'd be looking for a scout box, correct?
Is it primarily the fluid volume that is a concern with doing this mod?

Chicago

For the time being, YES, until the Vortec goes in.
For a sag pump, you'd be looking for a scout box, correct?
Is it primarily the fluid volume that is a concern with doing this mod?

Chicago

I believe it is. I think both the hydroboost and ram assist run effectively on the system pressure, but because there's more things needing fluid pumping through them, fluid volume becomes an issue.

As far as what particular Saginaw pump I'd be looking for, I honestly have no idea. I'd have to look around and find one that's fairly close dimensionally to an FJ62 pump and go from there.

I believe it is. I think both the hydroboost and ram assist run effectively on the system pressure, but because there's more things needing fluid pumping through them, fluid volume becomes an issue.

As far as what particular Saginaw pump I'd be looking for, I honestly have no idea. I'd have to look around and find one that's fairly close dimensionally to an FJ62 pump and go from there.

HUMPF!?
Im not sure HOW that would be the issue as it is a closed loop system? You would fill and bleed the system which would require more fluid initially, but then it would be at a static volume....Not that Im questioning.
Would it pertain to the heat generated, thus requiring more fluid for cooling?
You would think with the added demand there would be something internal what would not be up to snuff to drive the added demand?

Chicago

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom