FJ60 Door Panels: Customizable and Affordable (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

sschruff

Make PSILOCYBIN legal for TBI/PTSD/TRA&D
Threads
Just left my interior shop - spent the better part of 3 hours talking about FJ60's. I"ll skip the majority of the talk and get straight to what I think some of you might be interested in: DOOR Panels.

The original discussion revolved around this concept:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/141773-almost-done-pix-2.html

We discussed many different materials/options but to keep things relatively simple, I narrowed it down to this:

1. Material choice: HDPE (or similar material, can be decided closer to production); Aluminum. Finish, furniture, etc. can be individualized per order (see below).

2. Options:

Using your existing hardware/furniture (e.g., door handles, arm rest, window crank)

OR

Custom hardware/furniture:

Armrest: custom built or if you have a specific armrest from another vehicle you want, he can mount it (or you can, really - just depends on how 'finished' of a card you want).

window cranks (if you want cnc'd or otherwise but there's no spline match, he can do a custom spline attachment (basically welds flat bar into a square so that the male part now becomes universal for the square kits). I'm probably doing to do with a set of anodized handles, something similar to this:
http://www.billetspecialties.com/door-panel-accessories/window-cranks/

Adding width to the top of the card (where your arm rest against the window if you drive like me) - this is a personal option I'm going to do simply b/c that's where I like to rest my arm and it's a little too narrow at present).

Fixed or adjustable map pockets

Either material can be covered/customized at little/much as you desire

Speaker hole (standard vent will be incorporated) but if you want a custom design (larger, spacer already installed, clips, tweeter hole, etc.)

Costs:

Basic door panel (set of 4)

HDPE: Approximately $400-$450

Aluminium: $400-$550 (depends on sheet measurement, how many doors can be cut per sheet, etc.). Note: I was surprised that the aluminum would be about the same as the HDPE - it was explained like this: Aluminum per sheet is often cheaper but the labor to create the finished product is more (man hours, blades, etc.).

Options:

It's hard to say b/c it really depends on how many people purchase.

Example:
I'm going to do the HDPE with:
custom arm rests
billet handles
extended top of card
speaker hold with spacer already installed
tweeter hole
door light hole

So, a set of cards like I want may go up to 1200 (give or take, maybe more - I'll post final build price).

We need a minimum of 10 ppl to get on board if we want to get the above prices. Granted, they are not set in stone but the basic design will not vary much if any.

If you're interested, I'll front the 'whatever it takes' to get started regarding materials, shop despot, etc. but each person will need to put 50% down (non-refundable).

There are a few other ideas we talked about tonight - I'll start a new thread and await feedback from members bf pushing other ideas any further.

Thanks-

Shane

What do you mean by "extended top of card"? You talking the spot where elbows usually rest and wear through the factory vinyl? I've been planning to just weld a form there with a pad attached when I eventually make my own panels for my 62.

Sounds like a pretty good idea what you're doing. I don't think you'll have any trouble finding buyers.

There are two next steps:

1. The owner of the shop is going to get prices on the HDPE & Aluminum sheets, pricing on designing/fabricating a custom arm rest, handle, etc.

2. Waiting to see how many people sign-up for the panels. I think it's best to separate into groups-

1st - maybe do a group of 10 and determine pricing based on that many members purchasing each set of cards (one run of HDPE, one run of Aluminum). The price would be substantially lower, for example, we had 50 buyers. However, I think setting a goal much higher than 10 would result in a protracted timeline. Maybe '10' is a good number, maybe it'll be between 5-20. . .we'll just have to wait to see how many people solidify a purchase.

2nd - So, you have the standard groups above (HDPE or Aluminum), the 2nd group would be those that want something a little more custom. Not sure if this is a good way to separate the groups - b/c I think the 1st group can adjust their order individually if they want to customize. . .and thus not have to wait for a 2nd batch to be ordered.

Any thoughts?

What do you mean by "extended top of card"? You talking the spot where elbows usually rest and wear through the factory vinyl? I've been planning to just weld a form there with a pad attached when I eventually make my own panels for my 62.

Sounds like a pretty good idea what you're doing. I don't think you'll have any trouble finding buyers.

Yup, that's exactly what/where I was talking about/referring to - seems we think alike, lol.

We'll see if ppl utilize this or not. Chatter doesn't necessarily equate to action, unfortunately =)

thanks for the input. . .and would love to see your cards when you're done.

Shane

I would like grey HDPE panels that have the FJ60LV coverage, and the matching inner belt weatherstrip. Problem is the WS is NLA from toyota and amayama.

Like this panel found on a base mintruck:

0809st_08_z+1992_toyota_pickup+door_panel.jpg

I would like grey HDPE panels that have the FJ60LV coverage, and the matching inner belt weatherstrip. Problem is the WS is NLA from toyota and amayama.

Like this panel found on a base mintruck:

0809st_08_z+1992_toyota_pickup+door_panel.jpg

I think the easiest way to suit everyone's needs will be to produce basic HDPE panels. From that point, maybe a menu of upgrades that the purchaser can arrange with the shop.

I like the panel design of the mini - clean, easy to care for, simple.

Thanks for the input-

Shane

Clinic schedule has been a little hectic, so skipped work on the FJ this past week. Planning to have it to the interior shop in the next two weeks for the door panels to be designed/installed.

I'll post pics as soon as they are done. . .

Shane

Any updates on these?

Yes I'd be very interested in custom door cards, but shipping would and always will be the killer:bang:

Would like to see a post of the finished product :D

Sorry about the delay-

No updates at present. Work and mechanical projects took priority. I'm hoping to have her out of the shop in about 2 more weeks and will do the interior before doing the engine/brake swap. Guess I was used to having things ordered & done is a much more non-FJ60 timeline, lol. Lesson learned - but this isn't to say it doesn't cause me sleepless night =)

Tell us about the carpet too please...

I know this is an old thread but did anything become of this?

I am looking at this on my phone so I may have missed something...but is a group buy on replacement door cards still an option or has everyone found a new source. I know it's an old thread, but a boy can hope....right?

I am looking at this on my phone so I may have missed something...but is a group buy on replacement door cards still an option or has everyone found a new source. I know it's an old thread, but a boy can hope....right?

Hmm...made some progress on the cards over the weekend & late last night (Wesley is the man). Rough version could b ready in two weeks...could b 8 weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom