FJ60 Bumper options (7 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Curious what everyone's thoughts are on FJ60 bumper options. A lot of the bumpers I'm seeing are getting over $1500, which I just would rather not spend.

What's the most affordable bumper/kit out there? If there isn't one, I'm considering just making one with some C channel and steel plate.

I had the same thoughts about the price of front bumpers. After some math I realized it'd be cheaper to buy a welder and chop saw than a fancy catalog bumper. I also like this route cause I can customize it however I want and I can always say "I built that". I think I have 2 weekends into mine, it's not quite done but I'm liking the way it's coming out. The whole bumper is 1/4" plate and there's 2-3 weld passes on almost every joint.

20221226_163201.jpg

20221226_164053.jpg

20221226_164058.jpg

20230204_153436.jpg

20230411_160242.jpg

20230411_160251.jpg

really depends on what look you are after.
a piece of scrap channel iron would be $50

I’ve also made my own 2X attempting to copy @2mbb ’s design. Both using 1/4” plate & 1.75 round tubing. I cut the metal with a grinder/cutting wheel and had a muffler shop bend the tube. The first bumper accommodated a Warn 8k winch but would not accommodate a ComeUp 10k winch, so I made another which sticks out a little further (shown here). Probably spent about $150 in materials

IMG_5228.png

IMG_5231.png

IMG_5229.png

You can get a piece of pressure treated 2x6 and some bolts for less than $30.
A wood bumper deserves merit. Probably better than stock for people who actually need a better bumper.
I have no regrets with the rear Trail Taylor iron bumper with dual swing-outs. It's steel and it's served me well on the trail and camping. It gives gives me piece of mind.
I am not as impressed with the ARB. It has merits, looks okay, but I doubt it would survive a recovery from the places I might need a recovery from. I like that it has a tool shelf and it fits nice. It looks like it would fold nice in a mild collision with a 'roo.

I'm curious, where would you need a recovery that you think an ARB bumper would not survive?

A wood bumper deserves merit. Probably better than stock for people who actually need a better bumper.
I have no regrets with the rear Trail Taylor iron bumper with dual swing-outs. It's steel and it's served me well on the trail and camping. It gives gives me piece of mind.
I am not as impressed with the ARB. It has merits, looks okay, but I doubt it would survive a recovery from the places I might need a recovery from. I like that it has a tool shelf and it fits nice. It looks like it would fold nice in a mild collision with a 'roo.

What do you mean by “tool shelf”. Is the the flat surface at base of the Bull bar? Just curious

isn't that an ARB bumper on the rig in your avatar?

A friend destroyed his with a 12K Warn on an off-flat pull. He was nose down pulling up and forward when the bumper bent at the mounts and the
upper tube pushed the front of his hood in.

A friend destroyed his with a 12K Warn on an off-flat pull. He was nose down pulling up and forward when the bumper bent at the mounts and the
upper tube pushed the front of his hood in.

ARB fronts... = what someone will pay for one new or used. Otherwise, scrap value, I won't even try and resale a take off in the customs shop. Seen too many wings buckle after a hit or cracked welds on the bars.

Between yours and mine there isn't anything stronger IMO.

J

ARB fronts... = what someone will pay for one new or used. Otherwise, scrap value, I won't even try and resale a take off in the customs shop. Seen too many wings buckle after a hit or cracked welds on the bars.

Between yours and mine there isn't anything stronger IMO.

J
You forgot to mention the D-ring mounts. That said , they are a better bumper than stock and the design fault lies partly with the Aussie regulations.
Kaymar's owner said they cannot drill or enlarge holes in a frame by law. they have to attach to the factory mounts which weren't designed to winch from.
When Toyota puts a PTO winch on a 60, you'll notice that it's not simply bolted to the holes in the two factory bumper mounts. There's a second rear support
to handle the load
1686185196643.png

We have some odd ones too
View attachment 3343399
My 60 has a 4Plus Kingdom bullbar from @lcwizard, love it and wouldn’t have it any other way. View attachment 3343401
It's funny how certain shapes are intuitive. I built the first "Kingdom" bumper in 1990 before I knew ARB existed yet someone in Australia was busy building a very similar
look. The white 60 with that bumper was built in 92. I've made only a couple small changes like tucking the bottom of the lower tube in a little more and a slightly different taper to the wings

s-l1602.jpg

bob1.jpg

IMG_6756.JPG

IMG_3224.JPG

IMG_3223.JPG

20170302_132528_HDR.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom