FJ45 Roof Corner Repair (1 Viewer)

DomSmith

SILVER Star
Looking for advice from those that have travelled this road before…

My SWB has developed the dreaded front corner rust issues on the roof top (see pics). I’ve reached out to a buddy of mine that is a great welder and has helped me in the past. He advised me that this is not an easy repair based on the compound curves and rusty parent material. He didn’t say he wouldn’t do it but possibly is prepping me for the amount of work (read:$$$$$$) it will take.

Does anyone make any patch panels for these? He suggested that would be a quick easy way to solve the problem but I don’t think anyone does.

Any other metal solutions out there, or am I just stuck having someone do it the hard way?

Any suggestions appreciated.

27954965-8132-4C0C-8E4C-DD39F6BBFAED.jpeg
F5959F5B-FDB0-454C-89D0-FB0C6B1FBACA.jpeg

Does gozzard still make roof panels? I have a fiberglass one in my pile and hope to test fit it later this summer. I can report back after installation. I believe it is a gozzard part.

DomSmith

SILVER Star
I see 6 items in your cart Brian. Whatcha buyin?! Ha ha.

Thanks for the input. May have look into the roof panels. Really hoping to stick with the patina look which would lead me to repair. But if that drivers corner gets much worse I don’t know that I’ll have much of an option.

I suppose I could get the correct gauge sheet metal and just start messing with it. Probably take me 100 hours to make 2.

Any other suggestions?

You’d better get really good with a panel bag and English wheel. Those are what it will take to make the corner properly.
Someone that is skilled would be able to make them no problem.

middlecalf

SILVER Star
Possibly another full replacement option but have no idea what the process would be to initiate a purchase being on Instagram. Maybe @wngrog knows.

I don’t know anyone making patch panels for this. I made my own, but are at least 10 footers, probably more like 20 😂. I had to build (replace) the entire drip rail and about 3in up the roof all the way around, as well as the corners like yours. Used 18ga mild steel, it can be readily bent, beaten, stretched and even shrunk.

Let me preface this by saying I'm not selling anything in my stash. But I do have a south America roof cap, what I believe to be a gozzard and a stock 45 roof. The south America can work, will not have the provision for the clips. The gozzard will work, way sturdier and no provision for the clips. Stock is warped, tinny has provisions for the clips. I can dig these out next week and help by providing detailed pictures. The south America roof had a weak try at a windshield brace. What I had planned was an fj40 windshield brace and the original fj45 clip brace on the gozzard. Willing to take pictures next week to help.

KT40

SILVER Star
Actually , when I bought my 45, it came with a fiberglass cap. I wasn't too impressed by the quality of it. No provisions for clips like @tornadoalleycruiser stated. No holes for bolting the back of cab or the door tops or the piece above the windshield. Ended up selling it. Found a metal top that that probably needs the same treatment but I prefer real steel!

65swb45

Elder Statesman
Supporting Vendor
If the Gozzard 45 cap is like their 40 cap, there are going to be significant issues with getting the wipers to even fit. I had a customer who bought a Gozzard cap for his 66 40 series with the twin motors. The fiberglass brow partially obstructed the holes in the windshield frame.☹️

landcruisnman

1972 FJ55 "Iron Giant"
I see 6 items in your cart Brian. Whatcha buyin?! Ha ha.

Thanks for the input. May have look into the roof panels. Really hoping to stick with the patina look which would lead me to repair. But if that drivers corner gets much worse I don’t know that I’ll have much of an option.

I suppose I could get the correct gauge sheet metal and just start messing with it. Probably take me 100 hours to make 2.

Any other suggestions?
Dom
Just get the new one and take it in the ocean. Patina…boom

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom