Fj40 dos 78 blue Name tbd (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

How about Nermal?

Never heard of nermal before.

Do you have any wheel painting tips. Oriellys ordered me the matching paint so I’m going to try and get the new wheel painted to match tomorrow.

How’s Sampson doing? Hope your doing better.

I pulled out the front diff breather today. I cleaned it pretty good in brake cleaner it was gunked up and I doubt functioning properly. I need to make time and get the part numbers for New breather end cap pieces and the extension part people use to attach a hose to the dif when extending breathers. Once I get those I’ll extend the front and rear breathers to a higher position. Fingers crossed this easy fix takes care of the front knuckles leaking but I doubt I’ll be so lucky. It needs to be done either way so starting small.

The mrs is out of town so I may get in the garage and give the fjc some attention or I may watch tv I want to watch and let my dogs on the couch. She doesn’t get on mud so I’m safe there.

B969BDC9-11DB-42BE-96A0-76C755CF9105_1.png

Nermal is Garfield's evil nemesis. He's a cute kitten with a dastardly mind!

Sampson is fine. I have several projects to get completed, staged in the garage. I'm getting back to normal slowly but surely .

When you paint the wheel prep is key! Clean the wheel throughly before you sand it. Sand all surfaces to be painted with 600 grit sand paper (or finer). Then wipe it down with laquer thinner and you're ready to spray .

your starting point would be a VERY happy ending point for me...

View attachment 1620612

There are several threads on here with people that start with similar and have great trucks when finished. I sold my first project since I didn’t have the time factor to bring it back to life but if you are able to weld and shape metal yours will be in good shape in time. If you can’t weld and shape metal everyone says the 40 is the best to learn on since not to many curves. I can’t weld so I had to pay someone with that skill on my last one. In a few years I may tackle a few repairs with the body on this one but for now I’m ready to enjoy it and focus on other things. Good luck on yours, make a thread on the 40 forum for it and track your progress and ask for help and advice when you need there, people love to help and work out problems on these. You will find more info on these trucks on this site than most mechanics around you know.

3F6DCA01-03C5-4422-B446-A6EDF52D11E8.jpg

Drove the 40 on a couple errands.

Made some time for my other Toyota, my 07 fj cruiser
Changed the oil and manual trans oil on my fj cruiser and waxed it. Hoping to make some time and paint the spare wheel tonight, oreillys was able to order me a matching can of what the previous owner used on the other 4 wheels.

The mrs gave me a couple Toyota things for Xmas I never posted and came across when cleaning out my phones photos. Just what I wanted

4D60A228-BB68-4FA8-8F25-4D84A89FE861.jpg

Last edited:
Reference the differential extended breather plugs: Try the Nissan 38323-C601A. It is the same BSPT (British Standard Pipe Thread) and will screw right in. Has enough length to slip the tube over the fitting and clamp it. The local Nissan dealership should have it. Good Luck!

Edit to add: The Nissan plug works on the front differential only. The rear differential needs an different solution and one that I am still looking for as well as the transfer case breather. My thoughts are to just mount up those two breather nipples in a lathe and turn them down a little. There is enough length to get a hose and clamp on them at that point.

I also bought the ARB breather kit and it has about 26' IIRC of 8 mm tubing which works for all three of the breathers I plan to modify. Good Luck!

I believe I took the rear breather out, removed the top portion. Then found a nut with the correct thread/pitch, and welded them together. ;)

Finally got around to getting the full size spare a couple of weeks back. Seeing BFG was coming out with a new tire reminded me I should hurry up while the ko'2 is still avail. to get a matching spare

Im surprised how well the painting of the wheel came out. I used the same color the previous owner used on the others to match. Next on the list of to-do is some quality oem tail lights. The ones on there are poorly made china knock-offs and falling apart except for the zip ties.
IMG_4003.jpg

image2.jpeg

The FJ Cruiser got some new tires as well since the old ones were the original 10+ years old with 65 K. Went ahead and got the spare to match as well. Ive had nothing but good experiences with BFG tires so ended up keeping the tradition going.

image1.jpeg

Dogs enjoying a ride. Next on its to-do list is bleed the brakes and clutch. The fluid is 10 years old and Im sure has picked up moisture over that time. I think a lifespan for the fluid is 3-5 years tops based on climate from my reading. I probably should add rad fluid and flush to that list. The fluid in there was put in by Mr. T in Japan so its the good and expensive red stuff and looks new with only 65k miles but I think its lifespan is around 10 years so better safe than sorry. Ill end up putting that way down on the to-do list. I think getting a new toyota radiator for the blue one while I still can is on the list higher and run the long lasting fluid in it as well before digging into the fjc.
IMG_4027.jpg

78928C98-15A8-47D4-8476-588EA6C22FA7.jpg

The previous 40 owner built a nice roof lifting system he learned about on mud I saw when I picked it up. Im thinking I need the same thing but I enjoy the hardtop after trying for years to complete it so I see myself running more with it on. I can at least use the lift to install the new weatherstripping so I can put on amby doors and take my dogs out in it more.

Whenever I get time off of work the mrs wants to do things that don't include tinkering with toyotas so I don't get the time on them I like. My idea of a sweet vacation would be to work on them for a week and eat local seafood and just have fun with the dogs while exploring wooded areas within my region......but she likes waiting in line in disney with people everywhere and I like to see her smile so thats where I have to go every so often to keep her happy....
A several week long trip out west to somewhere like Ouray, moab, Utah or Colorado will be down the road hopefully and a couple tlc events to met people I talk to on toyota forums in person. After I get through a busy summer Im going to evaluate if another toyota platform vehicle might better suite the purpose of a longer trip and family that will be here in a few years when we get ready and weigh out if that is on the table or wait until after I get a different house with bigger garage... She hates the look of 7 series troopys, i tried hinting for one of those. I really like some of the lexus platforms to build up but Im just thinking out loud right now.
back to work for now.

Last edited:
Great 40 you have found there. I also have a ‘78, Freeborn Red but am very partial to the Sky Blue of yours. For long trips I am saving up for a new 4Runner. Not as much fun as the forty but I like my kidneys!!!! And like you have plans for Colorado and Moab as well.

Great 40 you have found there. I also have a ‘78, Freeborn Red but am very partial to the Sky Blue of yours. For long trips I am saving up for a new 4Runner. Not as much fun as the forty but I like my kidneys!!!! And like you have plans for Colorado and Moab as well.

I do like the new 4runners and tacos... a lot, I was very close to thinking about trading in my fjc for a newer 4 runner or tacoma but for a few reason
  • I enjoy not having a car payment
  • 4runner only comes in auto trans
  • I think toyota dealers are charging a crazy amount for them compared to what they were planned to be sold for but people keep paying so why stop.
  • I dont drive my vehicles that much so it would be money spent to wait for my off time
  • I think they are redesigning the 4 runner in the next year or so
  • id need to sell a toyota to make space
  • the premium they charge for the cool trd grill and features is crazy but they do look good
  • they arent that different drive-train wise from my fjc
  • did i mention I like not having a car payment....
  • Im very fortunate My daily driver is a small nissan gas saver suv for work since I drive so much it is provided but that means less toyota seat time. I need to post up some of the cool features the nissan has, though Im a toyota guy and thats not changing unless I get into a completely different platform like sports cars but even then a supra would be a dream.

I could add AZ to the list as well but I would want to get a trailer to bring back one of those rust free vehicles that are out there.

Almost a year since my last post on this thread. Man time flies. My grandmother falling ill and passing a few weeks later was tough, she was in her late 80s where most of her family has gone to mid 90s so we thought we had more time. It took our family a few months to clear out her home and let things go in an estate sale. I have a to-do list for it that seems to grow and grow but being spring time I will get more active. I drive it about/atleast every 2 weeks for a hour around town to keep the fluids fresh and make sure the gas is burnt before it gets older than 3 months ish.
Ive picked up parts here and there to help refresh and keep it going but havent gotten around to installing them the pile of new parts in boxes is growing.
I inherited several of my grandfathers tools and had to bring them home once my grandmother passed in the fall. I need to dedicate a good bit of time organizing them and the garage space so it can function without being to cluttered. I will have to give some of the tools some tlc and repair things like wiring that is showing its age and cleaning them but old tools and the quality steel from back when they were made make it worth the time and rewarding. Ill post up some of that here as I get time.

I pulled it out for a de-grease and pressure wash yesterday to make me want to work on it more.
During my drive yesterday I spotted another cruiser and followed him to the store but never saw the owner and my wife was ready for me to come home and eat so I couldnt wait for him to come out.
It had a mud sticker on it so maybe someone here knows the person.

IMG_7307.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful 40! I learned to ski at WP when I was a kid on family trips. We went to Hernando's pizza many times. I brought my kids there a few times, then we started branching out. Your 40 looks like it doesnt need a lot of work, thanks for posting the pictures. Enjoy!

@alabamatacomaguy do you know what color your wheels are? Massey Ferguson gray maybe?

I do have it. I had to ask the previous owner that painted the ones on it so I could match the spare. I got it at oreily auto parts store they just had to order it since they didnt have any on site.
I was surprised at how well it came out. I did light sand/scuff it to give the paint a better shot of staying on even though the wheel was new, clean and use an etch primer before spraying.

Ive also seen other threads on here mention they like the match of this one, I think thats where my 40 previous owner got it to use.

The mrs had a friends baby shower so I got some cruiser time sat. I made the most of it by running out of gas on the way to refill at the nearby station with non ethanol. I was able to limp back towards home before I ran completely out of fumes. By chance the house I stoped in front of was a guy that restores classics. Sadly he didn’t seem to care about my foreign tin can. A short half mile walk home I had a lawn equipment fuel container and I was on my way.

A864187D-51C3-4502-8325-91572ECC0A22.jpeg

BA29ECC5-5C51-4ACA-8226-AFB67370043B.jpeg

Gas station lights are flattering to it. I tried to clean up the rear bumper before I installed the new replacement tail lights. I wire wheeled it and then cleaned with naval jelly before painting.

Last edited:
Beautiful 40! Is that blue a factory color? Reminds me of the new Porsche color Miami Blue.

blue911.jpg

Ok maybe not exactly the same blue, but makes me think about the porche.

I will have a 40 series some day. I had a chance to drive a friends BJ44 while I was in Africa and I was hooked.
BJ44.jpg

Thanks for posting pics of yours, I look forward to more in the future.

Beautiful 40! Is that blue a factory color? Reminds me of the new Porsche color Miami Blue.

View attachment 2243829

Ok maybe not exactly the same blue, but makes me think about the porche.

I will have a 40 series some day. I had a chance to drive a friends BJ44 while I was in Africa and I was hooked.
View attachment 2243830

Thanks for posting pics of yours, I look forward to more in the future.

Thanks for the nice words. It is a factory blue from Toyota. My mind has been focused on work when Im awake the last 10 days with everything going on so I can’t recall the Toyota paint code off hand or anything I could when life was normal. Normally I could tell the paint code or remember where I posted it. I often think it’s close to that Porsche color and even the new wrangler color I’ve seen out and about.

That is a cool Africa 44. My brother went to Africa with his wife a few years back, it was cool to see the landcruisers in the pics and the beautiful landscape and animals.
If you plan on getting a 40 spend your free time on here researching. Read and Follow peoples journeys and build threads here when they buy one and what they go through. It will help you get a realistic idea of how getting one is and what it needs to be a drivable vehicle and what’s involved. Avoiding rust as much as possible is something to take seriously unless you can weld.
Good luck

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom