FJ40 Body Work (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My son and i pulled the fenders and bib off today.
Removed the steps, tire carrier, flares and started hammering the tub to see what falls off.
Panel guarded a set of fenders and the underside of the hood that will be used.
Bib will need some twist and dent removal before it gets the same treatment.

DSC04891.jpg

DSC04886.jpg

Nice. More photos, then when done before and after pic. :hillbilly:

Looks like a good candidate for the extra set of 42" Iroc's.......:D

Going to keep the tire size down to 38" on this one i think, one axle buster will be plenty.

The panel guard is a paintable Pro Form product.

Bead blasted a few of the front end parts and painted them matt black.
DSC04975.jpg

Bib needs a little more attention though, should be able to get one from the two i have.
DSC04894.jpg

DSC04980.jpg

Would really like to remove the body and blast the chassis but i don't think i should get that far into it just yet.
Have to figure out what to do for power steering for now.

Looking good! :beer:

Free parts? Vast collection?

Depends. I haven't dived in to my 40 project yet but I have been collecting parts for it and I do have what might be termed 'a s***load'.

Once work settles down a bit, I hope to get into it.

Well it turns out the wrong water pump is the right water pump.
I found the bearings in the water pump loose so i picked one up, mounting was correct but shaft was too short and the flange dia. for mounting the pulley and fan was to big.
While i was cussing over my bad luck i remembered the 3FE i bought.
Grabbed the pump pulley from the 3FE and found it fit, and hey one of the grooves even looks like it lines up.
Back to the 3FE i grab the power steering pump and mounting bracket and hold it up to the 2F head.
Two of the three bolt holes line up with the ones in the head, can this really be that easy?
Well it bolts on fairly solid and dam if the pulleys don't look to be in good alignment.
Bolt the water pump pulley up for real sandwiched with a 3B clutch fan and it looks like i have the makings of a workable power steering pump.
Has anyone done this before or have i stumbled into an easy fix for those looking for an easy power steering option?
DSC04996.jpg

DSC04995.jpg

DSC04994.jpg

DSC04992.jpg

DSC04991.jpg

DSC04990.jpg

Last edited:
Pretty soon Vince you'll be bolting that 3F-E head onto that block... OK maybe not that block. The head is a straight bolt on for a 85-87 2F, you get a FI 2F, or a 2F-E. The stroke is longer on the 2F over a 3F so it's a desirable swap.

Thanks Phil, i was actually going to ask a few questions about that very thing.
Like aside from the FI, are there any benefits like higher compression due to combustion chamber size.
Larger valves, ports blah, blah, blah.
If there are gains to be made i will have that thing swapped out right quick!
As far as FI goes i am looking for an Offenhauser C series manifold for a ProJection setup i already have.

Dam, your right! i can't seem to remember what i bought from whom, or who i have given/sold or traded parts with.
I stand corrected, once again.

Thanks Phil, i was actually going to ask a few questions about that very thing.
Like aside from the FI, are there any benefits like higher compression due to combustion chamber size.
Larger valves, ports blah, blah, blah.
If there are gains to be made i will have that thing swapped out right quick!
As far as FI goes i am looking for an Offenhauser C series manifold for a ProJection setup i already have.

I haven't done it (yet) but there is lots of info on Mud
Here's the thread I've followed: https://forum.ih8mud.com/60-series-wagons/277349-help-me-plan-2fe.html

Pulled off a few more parts,
DSC05017.jpg
hard top is not going back on so if anyone is in need let me know.
DSC05004.jpg

Cut a set of doors down as well, straight across though just to be different.
DSC05022.jpg

Will most likely mount mirror to the cowl and lower the top hinge.
Windshield frame is off, glass out, looks to be in pretty good shape.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom