Builds fj40 1/2 xtra cab build (long) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice, I like!

What color Orange did you use orginally?

The first time was Pollux orange, second time was close to T308 persimmon.

Your top re-fab/re-do has helped me tremendously as I take on my 40-45 modifications from a 70 tub. it looks like I am about a similar distance from the 'B' pillar form the back of the tub. A measurement from a stock 45 is 10 1/2" from the front of the 'B' pillar to the back of the cab. I have made mine a total of 17" to the back which is 6 1/2 " of extra room for the legs. Specifically would like to see how you welded in the inside of the rear window, and what is your 'B' pillar to rear of cab distance, in advance TNX and you have a stellar build.

Thats funny that you ended up at 17", as thats what mine is. The top i used had ambi doors, so the pillars/jambs are pretty burly and easy to weld to without deflecting it. The pieces next to the window needed to be a bit wider as after cutting from the door pillar there was not alot left. We added a piece of 18ga., broke at a 90 to give it strength, and then stitch welded inside and out if that makes sense. we also used the upper corners from other side panels to get the same radius all around. Sorry i did not get better pics of that 'cause its getting color tomorrow and you cannot see it. Hth.

Mike

TNX Mike for the reply,
Ya that is about the 17" That is what's nice about our sport that we can have leverage to do what we want and they all look good at any length. I understand the 90degree bend and i think that is a good choice for strength. I do like your revamping the lower corners it must be nice to have the rollers and stretcher/shrinker to make up the metal for the re-curved corners on the bottom, not sure where I am on that not having the equpt. to do that modification. I am still plugging along with the back and have another mud member MIKER just down the road from me. He is doing a 45 and is well into it and has invited me to come and visit, looking forward to that. After you get color on it post up a pick it would be much appreciated. Best Skip

I did not fab up the lower corners for the back window, I used corners from another trashed side. We do have the equipment to do it, but this was way faster. If you need a couple of the same corners I bet I could round them up for you.
Parts are being painted a few at a time, hoping to be re-assembling by end of next week.
Mike

Very nice and clean........having two large Rottweilers, kinda makes me wish i did this when i was in the middle of my build..........

Bed, cab, windshield frame are painted. Cab is ready for primer tomorrow, then paint, then fiberglass top so we can start re- assembly of the cab.
The Orange was cool, but I am ready for something different. This T 414 Buffalo Brown is definitely not for everyone, but I think it's cool. At least it's a Land Cruiser color, and not Corvette yellow or Porche silver or something.

[QUOTE Porsche silver....hmmm. Still liked the orange.

Not Porche silver. Kinda looks like I actually polished a turd, with a tad of green in it. Lol

Sounds like you have been way busy and spending a bunch of time, it will all pay off when you get it back together and stand back and say aah just what I wanted

Wow! Just went through the thread! Excellent build!
Just out of curiousity, how does the semi elliptical leaf set-up fare on high speed runs?

Hi speed + fj40 Land Cruiser = sketchey.
Seriously, i have not really rallied it off road, but on wash board stuff it does well. It is set up more for crawling type of wheeling. I think if i threw this into a corner with some speed it might get interesting very quickly.

Sounds like you have been way busy and spending a bunch of time, it will all pay off when you get it back together and stand back and say aah just what I wanted

Thanks.
This is the 3rd and last rendition, and i think ,as i have done on the previous 2 builds, it will be what i wanted it to be.
If i keep screwing around with this thing, i will have most models of a Land Cruiser in 1 rig (excluding wagons).
Hmmmmmmm, did i just say wagon ?:eek:

NOT !!! LOL.

Good Morning===
Wagons have there place with some, however I am with you, however I do enjoy seeing them. We are all waiting patiently for some pics of the project going back together, know you are busy doing but don't forger to take some along the way. BTW did you get my e-mail? just wondering, Happy Building :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom