FJ only starts when I....... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Ok so I can tinker with her a little bit.... When the 40 starts it will run for a few seconds and then die. If I hold the choke about 70-80% closed I can get the 40 to run for a minute or so but it still dies short after. What should I look for now????

Thanks,
Drew

At this point I would make sure the idle mixture is adjusted rich enough and that the shutoff solenoid is in fact opening. Sounds like the problem is not enough supplemental fuel from the idle circuit, one way or the other.

But do not ignore your points and timing either.

Mark....

Doubtful that the float could be set so low as to interfere with idling. Full power, or potentially high rpm cruise, sure. But not idle. It would have to be set so as to let no fuel at all in. If it opens the needle at all, there will be enough fuel for idling.

Mark...

First thing I check on a carb from some unkown place is float level. Used ebay, probably lucky if the float floats.

I don't believe the float is faulty. Fuel level always stays a little above the center of the carb window.

I currently have the idle mixture screw at 3.5 turns out from the fully closed position. My haynes manual states that it should be 1.5 turns out from the fully closed position so I will give that a try as well as removing my idle solenoid needle ( just to test)

Thanks,
Drew.

I went ahead and backed the idle mixture screw down to 1.5 turns from fully closed and that had no effect on the idle situation. I then removed the idle solenoid needle and fired it up and she ran and didn't die. So I believe that problem is fixed which is great aside from the new problem that arose at soon as the previous one was fixed.

I got her running which is great but as soon as I touch the throttle and try to give it a little gas it immediately stutters and dies on me:bang:.

So once again what should I look for now?

Thanks,
Drew

Last edited:
I went ahead and backed the idle mixture screw down to 1.5 turns from fully closed and that had no effect on the idle situation. I then removed the idle solenoid needle and fired it up and she ran and didn't die. So I believe that problem is fixed which is great aside from the new problem that arose at soon as the previous one was fixed.

I got her running which is great but as soon as I touch the throttle and try to give it a little gas it immediately stutters and dies on me:bang:.

So once again what should I look for now?

Thanks,
Drew
For tuning purposes on that carb, start with the idle needle 4 turns out from bottomed.

Hesitates or dies on acceleration: Problem in accelerator pump circuit.

Timing has been set to 7 degrees btdc and I don't think the engine like it to much. I will adjust it a little tonight and see if it runs the way I want it to. What should I look for in the accelerator circuit?

Any improvements cruzersoul????

No improvements yet...... I am waiting on a new thermostat housing so I can run the engine for more than a couple minutes at a time. I have a feeling the engine is shot and will soon be going to the scraper. I am going to go ahead and do compression tests tonight or tomorrow mourning and I will post up the results. I dont know what to look for in the accelerator circuit so if anyone has a good place to start please let me know.

Thanks,
Drew

These symptoms that you describe are symptoms of tuning issues. Most likely carb. Not a worn out engine.

If the engines IS worn out.... usually better to rebuild it than scrap it.

It sounds like your best bet might be to get the carb to Jim or someone else who can go through it for you and set it all up right. You might be able to find someone local who can do it. Or a local Cruiserhead who knows his way around a carb who can help you with it. Carb overhaul 101 over the internet is not a real effective approach. :(

Mark...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom