FJ noob needs help (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

How did I get involved in this? I've never owned a 80 series ?!?

And Joey hit me in the face with a wrench once, when helping install a rear bumper, but that's the extent of my wrenching on an 80...

:hillbilly:
:cool:
:confused:

maybe its a sign you should be getting an 80 :doh:

I didn't know how much I would like them before I got one, either . . . . . and the next one a year later :rolleyes:

(did I mention we are entertaining thoughts of another one or so ? :bang:)

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the insight and great responses. It is so awesome to have found a great group of passionate people about a great topic. I will be looking forward to more time around and great insight from all of you! One more question... is the center diff lock the same or similar to front and rear lockers. From what I understand the front and rear lockers make both wheels spin at the same rotation rate. What is the difference with the center diff lock? Thanks again!

One more question... is the center diff lock the same or similar to front and rear lockers. From what I understand the front and rear lockers make both wheels spin at the same rotation rate. What is the difference with the center diff lock? Thanks again!
The front and rear lockers lock the front and rear differentials, making each tire on each axle rotate together. The 80 is a full-time 4wd, which necessitates a third differential, this one in the transfer case. It normally allows the front axle and rear axle to turn at different speeds, just like an axle differential allows the wheels on the axle to turn at different speeds. Locking the third differential, or 'center diff' (AKA CDL for center diff lock) forces both axles to turn at the same speed. With all three differentials locked, all four tires are forced to turn at the same speed. Not good on pavement, very good for pulling through low-traction situations.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom