FJ 40 Rear Axle Horizontal Play (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all, I got a challenge for you! I have a 1976 FJ40 in Nicaragua, i say that to preface the fact that anything goes, take nothing for granted when pondering the cause of my issues, and parts are very hard to come by. I was noticing a loud clunk in my rear end, so I propped it up and found my driverside axle had about 1/8-1/4 of an inch of moved in and out. There was not play on the bearing up and down, just the axle could slide in and out freely. My mechanic found a new bearing, seal and put a new race on the axle and solved the problem. He decided to put a slightly wider bearing and forego putting in the washer behind the bearing... did this without my knowledge and too late to change it. Seems to have solved the problem. He then purchased an original bearing, washer and seal for the passenger side, and now, that side is doing the exact same thing with a good 1/16-1/8 of an inch of movement that makes a very loud clunk. Is some movement normal, and more importantly what is the quickest, most reliable fix. My mechanic wants to open up the diff, and put a washer between the gear and the C Lock washer.... Thoughts? As long as the C lock is not in danger of slipping off the axle I think it could be a fix. Please let me know if anyone else has had this issue.

Can't speak for the modified side of the axle,

But the side with the correct bearing and parts;

the " plung" of the axle shaft is achieved with a shimming procedure via the "c" clip Toyota makes the c clips in different thicknesses.

Please do not alter the washers Behind the side gears as a means of shimming the axle shaft . The side gears are part of a setup with the spider gears .

Shaft plunge adjustments are achieved with a single "c"clip not multiple.

Procedure/ specs can be found in FSM

Thanks for the reply. I was just thinking that after watching some videos of bearing being installed in and fj40. my c clips fell out very easily, I didnt have to even touch them to remove them. I am confident I will not be able to buy the correct parts here, I may have to have new ones made, any suggestions on where I can get drawings and specs for them? I looked in my Haynes book and I did not see anything regarding different C clips

I know it is not ideal, but what about putting a small shim between the c clip and the side gear. As long as there is still clearance between the axle and the center block, Shouldn't that be a viable solution?

C clips for the semi float rear axle are more of a thrust shim component, the pinion spacer/cross pin share responsibilities for keeping the c clips in place.

I don't recommend changing Toyota engineering, its not worth the risk.

A 16th movement is not a lot. He can open it up and look at your pin for wear but if it is not worn leave it alone. Almost all c-clip style axles that have the semi floating design, will slide in and out some. If you have no up and down play, roll with it.

Last edited:
I agree with Shawnfj40, roll with it.
I do hear a noticeable "Clunk" every now and then while I am driving, is that nothing to be worried about? I am going to try and take a video and share with the group. My biggest problem here in Nicaragua is a I find I am trying to UN-Nica Engineer everything, because there is more Nica engineering on this vehicle than Toyota at this point! I am going to measure exactly how much play I am getting. I am worried that my mechanic put in the wrong bearing, or put it in backward, missed the spacer ect.

Last edited:
I'd love to get a copy of the FSM that @78Landcruiser is referring to in his post:
Can't speak for the modified side of the axle,

But the side with the correct bearing and parts;

the " plung" of the axle shaft is achieved with a shimming procedure via the "c" clip Toyota makes the c clips in different thicknesses.

Please do not alter the washers Behind the side gears as a means of shimming the axle shaft . The side gears are part of a setup with the spider gears .

Shaft plunge adjustments are achieved with a single "c"clip not multiple.

Procedure/ specs can be found in FSM

I'm surprised to learn that Toyota has different sized C-clips (called "lock, rear axle shaft" in the Toyota parts list) as a method to adjust side-to-side axle movement in a semi-float differential. The U.S. version only has one size retainer from 1969 - 1980. See below:
42325 Lock:

upload_2016-12-16_7-52-17.png

Parts lookup:
upload_2016-12-16_7-55-3.png

If you truly want to fix the problem using Toyota engineering expertise, you should find a FSM (that applies to your truck). Below is an excerpt from a manual
upload_2016-12-16_8-20-8.png
, copyright 1977, which says the final side-to-side should be as follows:
upload_2016-12-16_8-22-22.png

upload_2016-12-16_8-4-41.png

Note that the spacer block between the two inner ends of the axles is the final adjustment for the clearance.

I believe that excessive axle side-to side axle movement could result in the locking C-clip breaking off the end of the axle if the excessive movement repeatedly slams the C-clip into it's seat in the differential side gear.

Last edited:
I'd love to get a copy of the FSM that @78Landcruiser is referring to in his post:

I'm surprised to learn that Toyota has different sized C-clips (called "lock, rear axle shaft" in the Toyota parts list) as a method to adjust side-to-side axle movement in a semi-float differential. The U.S. version only has one size retainer from 1969 - 1980. See below:
42325 Lock:

View attachment 1367289

Parts lookup:
View attachment 1367290

If you truly want to fix the problem using Toyota engineering expertise, you should find a FSM (that applies to your truck). Below is an excerpt from a manual View attachment 1367297, copyright 1977, which says the final side-to-side should be as follows:
View attachment 1367299

View attachment 1367291

Note that the spacer block between the two inner ends of the axles is the final adjustment for the clearance.

I believe that excessive axle side-to side axle movement could result in the locking C-clip breaking off the end of the axle if the excessive movement repeatedly slams the C-clip into it's seat in the differential side gear.

Sorry for the delayed thank you, but thank you! I am seeing if I can get a set of the thrust washers sent down to test out. I got distracted with what I thought was going to be a simple task of swapping out the front drive flanges with manual locking hubs... not an easy task at all! I had to have new groves put into the Birfield to accommodate the c-clip that needed to be further into the hub....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom