Fixing FJ55 with FJ60 donor, but where do I stop? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
elvinsmith.com
I purchased a rolling chassis 71 FJ55 in decent shape. I have quite a few parts left over from previous FJ55s and FJ40s. I needed an engine and in my search I found an 83 FJ60 that someone was going to fix up but didn't and I was able to get a deal on the whole thing in boxes and piles. My goal is not an ultra stock restoration. I am also not wanting to build a rock crawler or extreme off-roader; I already have a very capable 80. I am thinking more of an expedition/daily driver.

So I need the engine. It is pulled out of the rig and still bolted to the transmission and transfer case. At this point i don't see why I would go with the 3 speed unless anyone here as good reason. The split case also make it easier to go to a h41 or H55 in the future.

I am planning to take the power steering box too so I get power steering.

My main quandary comes with the axle/suspension. The 71 has the coarse spline birfs and pinion as well as the drum brakes. I know I can swap just the knuckles out to get the disk brakes but am thinking it would be advantageous to take the entire 60 axles and then I wonder, is it easier to move the axle perches to match the 55 springs or move the spring mounts on the body to match the 60. I do have a good welder and can weld. What are peoples experience with this?

Is there anything else I should take from the 60?

Keep the 55 axles and do the simple conversion to discs. No welding, parts can be had cheap, and it keeps the tires tucked properly under the fenders, stock look.

I don't think 55s with wider axles look proper, IMO. Unless it's lifted a ton and you need the stability, such as with a spring over axle lift.

Great advice guys.
Am I correct that I can also swap the diffs straight across? All I see when searching is drive-line flange issues but I have the 60 drive lines already and will likely have to have the lengths corrected regardless.

If I keep the 55 axles and put in the 4speed/split case as suggested I would not have an e-brake. What is the best option for installing an e-brake?

The diff center should bolt right in. I believe your 71 has the larger housing studs. The flange will more than likely be different(small for you FJ55) So yes, if you go with split case plus diffs from the FJ60, the driveshafts will need to get adjusted.

The only potential gotcha is the ratio in the diffs. I forget if it was the FJ60 or FJ62 that went to 3.7x gearing.

On the ebrake, I believe the @orangefj45 at Valley Hybrids imports the ebrake assembly from Aus for the split case.

Some ignore it and do without.

Others rely upon hydraulic line lock inline with their regular brakes.

Another option is trying to retrofit the axle mounted ebrake from the FJ60.

I think in '79 Toyota went to the 3.73:1 gear ratio, and then for the FJ-62 w/ 3FE and the A440 auto tranny they went back to 4:11:1 in the diffs.

I had a parts 62 that I robbed the axles and complete brake system out of and fit into my pig. Probably easier to just swap the knuckles, but where is the fun in that;) My pig feels a lot more stable and handles much better, oh and it actual stops now!

IMG_8436.jpg

Keep the 55 axles and do the simple conversion to discs. No welding, parts can be had cheap, and it keeps the tires tucked properly under the fenders, stock look.

I don't think 55s with wider axles look proper, IMO. Unless it's lifted a ton and you need the stability, such as with a spring over axle lift.

I have a 74 with a SOA lift, and chose to move the discs off the 62 (which is becoming a "FJ142") to the pig. FWIW I'm running TLC4x4's Monster Calipers (they are made by SSBC), and slotted rotors.

I had a parts 62 that I robbed the axles and complete brake system out of and fit into my pig. Probably easier to just swap the knuckles, but where is the fun in that;) My pig feels a lot more stable and handles much better, oh and it actual stops now!

Did you move the spring perches outward on the axle or take the 60 springs as well and outboard the spring hangars on the frame?

Did you move the spring perches outward on the axle or take the 60 springs as well and outboard the spring hangars on the frame?
I cut the 55 hangers off and out boarded them to match the width of the 62. I used the stock 62 springs, now I can order a ome lift for a 62 and bolt right up

Yes, we have the split case ebrake components in stock.

If you're going to run the Fj60/62 axles, then use the ebrake cable and handle as well. It's a great setup; works fantastic and ultra-reliable, cheap to rebuild.

Georg

valley hybrids 7 cruiser brothers

i'm in the 'outboard the springs and put the 60 axles underneath' category. they were a better width for pigs

This is what I did on the 71. You would never notice the extra width just looking at it and I like the little extra stability it brings.

i'm in the 'outboard the springs and put the 60 axles underneath' category. they were a better width for pigs.
Where I’m headed if I ever get there.

We got about 4 feet of surprise snow at the end of February and we are still digging out so all of this was put on hold. I also thought that a 62 would sell quickly on this forum but it did not so I still have that taking up space in my garage.

I am heavily leaning toward using the entire 60 axles and outboarding the perches. I purchased one of the Iroman 60 suspensions for the 62 but I haven't installed it and so it is all on the shelf....

The 60 carcass is not appealing to look at and I am hoping to get it gone sooner than later. I am hoping to get the 60 parted and gone sooner than later.
Are there other parts I should take?

Should I swap the brake booster and master too?
Should I take the gauges?
Should I take the AC parts?
Should I take the radiator?

Current list:
engine, transmission, Transfer case
Axles with springs and perches
e-brake handle, cable, and bits
Power steering box and shaft

booster and master, yes. on the ac parts, go for the stuff on the engine, but keep in mind that adapting the heater assy to your cab may suck. radiator most likely won't fit the pig

Following, I just want to lurk as to what you're doing with this. I have a 62 donor that I am using for parts on my 78 pig. I will be doing the power steering conversion pretty soon too. That's my big complaint with driving the pig is the lack of power assist steering

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom