FIXED: 2001 LX470 third row seat won't release, needs new plastic bushing. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm going to try describing this with words for now, because it's very tight in there, and it would be hard to photograph. But I'll post photos later if necessary.

I've had a 2001 LX470 for many years, and one of the 3rd row seats won't release from the floor to fold back up. There's a cable mechanism with little balls on the ends with a cable sheath (similar to a bike shifter cable), and it always felt like the lever just wasn't pulling on the cable quite hard enough on that side.

I avoid putting the seat down on that side... but every once in a while, I need to. I'm able to release the seat from the floor by jimmying the latch with a screwdriver, but it's a real pain, and requires many tries of the screwdriver slipping off the latch beak before it releases.

Today, in frustration, I tried taking the plastic panel off the seat leg cover (these are the legs that fold down automatically when the seat is lowered, called the "Seat Inner Leg" in the repair manual), and I was able to see where the cable connects. And wow! There's an adjustment nut there to control cable tension, just like on a bike shifter. So I adjusted it to max tension... but even then, pulling the lever didn't release the latch. Pulling the lever all the way barely moved the cable end, actually.

Comparing it to the side that does work, I found that the arm that pulls on the cable moves way more on the good seat than the bad seat.

Getting in there with a snake camera allowed me to see that the little metal linkage arm on the bad seat was *slipping* through its connection to the arm that pulls on the cable. Thus, pulling the lever wasn't moving the arm that pulls the cable much at all.

There's a little blue plastic bushing on the linkage arm that is kinda smashed, and it's allowing the linkage arm to slip through the hole where it links to the cable-pulling arm.

On the good seat, the blue plastic bushing is in good shape, which allows the linkage arm to seat in the cable-pulling arm snugly.

Interesting, the good side is on the left, and the bad side is on the right.... and the plastic for these bushings are slightly different shades of blue. The left side, they are very dark blue, and on the right side, they are lighter blue. I'm guessing they face different ways on the left/right side, so they are colored differently to avoid confusion during assembly.

Also, there are TWO of these little plastic bushings on each linkage arm, one on each end. The linkage arm is maybe 10- or 8-gage wire, and it's bent into an L shape on each end. These L-shaped tips go into these plastic bushings, allowing the tip of the linkage arm to "snap" into the holes on both the release handle and the cable-pulling arm.

I'm pretty sure the exploded view of all this is on page BO-149 of Volume 2 of my 2001 LX470 Repair Manual. "Rear No.2 Seat". But there's not enough detail to see these parts.

I've included some pictures of the bushing below. Maybe bushing is the wrong word for it. It actually clips onto the L-shaped end of the linkage arm.

Also, maybe the linkage arm is #10 in the parts diagram below?

Anyone know where I could get some of these bushings?

DSC00151.JPG

DSC00152.JPG

DSC00153.JPG

Screenshot 2023-07-22 at 13-16-58 2001 Lexus LX470 Parts - LexusPartsNow com.png

Last edited:
any auto parts house has Dorman products, they should have a selection of those plastic pieces.
they look very similar to door latch plastic pieces

So I swapped those bushings on the bad side (swapped one end of the linkage arm which had a good bushing with the other end). And that didn't seem to help. I think the linkage arm itself is bent, and therefor applying force at an off angle, so it pushes it's way through the metal eyelet in the pulling arm instead of moving the arm.

I have ordered a new linkage arm. Hopefully that will help. And maybe it will come with bushings!

Okay, I was able to fix this today and get my 3rd row seat release working again. I had to replace both the linkage arm (#10 in the above diagram, called "Link"), and the plastic link rod clips.

The linkage arm is part 79436-60010. I usually order from LexusPartsNow, and they listed it as in stock, but after ordering, they emailed and said they didn't have it. I was able to order it from Lexus of Akron here:

The arm arrived without the plastic link rod clips.

I went to O'Reilly and found an assortment pack of 6 clips (one of each type, which is annoying, because I need two of the same type). It was this pack from Doorman:

Both the big yellow and big black clips looked to be about the right size (actually a little beefier than the OEM clips, which is good, so they may last longer). But they are visible by the seat release handle after the install, so black looked better (less attention-grabbing). Anyway, I needed two packs to get two of the same black clips.

You use a screwdriver to remove two screws on the plastic handle cover, then take the cover off, which exposes the linkage rod for removal. This is much easier to do if you take the seat completely off and lay it on its side.

I took the old rod and clips out, and installed the new. The rod now functions properly, and doesn't force its way through the linkage holes when you try to actuate it. And the seat releases correctly again.

Here's the picture of the old rod with clips, which I replaced:

DSC00204.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom