Fitting a full rear bar (with wheel carriers) to 80 series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I currently have an Opposite Lock (Australian made by Outback Accessories) RHS wheel carrier fitted to my barn-door 80 series. It's been great, but my 80 has no rear chassis/body protection so I'm going to look at getting a full rear bar and dual wheel carrier.

I'm presuming that the rear chassis design on all 80's aka lx450's is the same in terms of how the M12 x 1.25 mm captive nuts, etc. are configured into the chassis rails to (same as for the front)? I've never actually seen references to front bull bars and rear bars that specifically say they *cannot* be fitted to all years of 80 series.

My only concern is that with the barn door configuration, the wheel carriers must be able to open enough to permit both barn doors to open to at least 90 degrees perhaps a bit more (as they do now). Any wheel carrier which interferes with barn doors is out of contention.

I don't know what's available in the USA for the rear of 80, but the Outback Accessories stuff is all made in Australia instead of China (where all the Roo Systems aka Tigerz11 aka Powerful 4x4 stuff comes from). Theres a lot of rear bars + wheel carriers showing up on Ebay and I'm betting almost all are imported chinese-made items. There's a placed called MCC 4x4 that I think imports stuff made in China as well.

Ultimate 4x4 (also Australian) used to manufacture their own heavy-duty 80 series rear bar with wheel carriers called a 'Strongarm' carrier aimed at the mining industry but they've discontinued making those now (at least for 80's) and they sell the Outback Accessories product instead.

Craig

Whats the question?

Possible rear bars in USA that will fit dual spares and allow barn doors to open?

You can order or build the 4x4 labs as you wish but the concern i suppose would be space between spindles. The arms can be set to open past 90 easily.

I believe Darren mcRae aka atlas4x4 aka autocraft ran dual spares on a slee bar down under. May be able to inquire with him or Christo at slee offroad in CO.

Main thing I was wondering was about the chassis mounting config and if it's the same right through all 80 series production both LHD and RHD from 1990 to 1998? I'm guessing it is, but have never really investigated to find out.

The captive nuts in the bottom of the main chassis rails are M12 x 1.25 thread just like at the front, at least on mine.

I would think all are the same. If the ARB rear bumpers are the same in all markets then likely the mounting hardware is the same in the frame?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom