First Land Cruiser Purchase... Need Advice! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Kaj

Threads
I always dreamt of owning a classic 40 or 70 series Land Cruiser, so I found one this week and really want it. I started searching for more info about Land Cruisers and found your forum!
Does somebody have advice about this LJ70 2.4 Turbo Diesel?

I'm planning to buy this Land Cruiser for camping and driving in the trails and back country in the summer, maybe also towing an RV trailer.
Would love to drive and restore this -- always been my favorite era of vehicles and Land Cruisers in general!

I've already booked an appointment to see it, really eager to own my first!

$30K Can is about $24K US. Not too bad price wise.

No pictures of the frame. How is the underside of the truck? Rust is always a concern.

15BT with some upgrades I think is a game changer in an LJ. That or just put a 2UZ in it, feed it fuel and be done with it.

Cheers

Thanks for the info everyone...
Turns out it was a lemon, the truck was rusted inside the frame and the engine rattled hard. Many things didn't work, the engine smell was terrible.
The so-called restoration was done by overspraying most of the car... I passed. Sorry guys, will have to wait for another chance! :rolleyes:

You'll find one eventually. In terms of towing in BC, I've towed trailers with small turbo diesels for years between Calgary and Vancouver... An EGT guage should be considered mandatory. The problem with a small boosted diesel is it will continue to pull hard, even up a hill where a gasser would be running out of grunt. But the amount of destructive heat it is creating internally can be enough to overheat the engine fairly readily if you let your right foot be your guide.

Wind resistance as mentioned above is huge. Airbags help a lot with rear coils, esp on a shortie. But overall a lightweight tent trailer is about the most I'd pull with that setup at altitude...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom