first gen windshield replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

man, i wish we had competant ppl like that.

does he work for a chain that might be in charleston? or do you think he could reccomend someone?

he sounds like the kind of guy i need.

Now that I think about it, I posted some slightly wrong info. I had a guy do my daughter's 04 4Runner and my 85 4Runner at different times. That is the guy that I was talking about and he works for a local place. These were all in the last 6 months.

I had the 80 done at the local Safelite about a year ago but I had a similar experience and they did a great job. I came in with FSM pages in hand and the guy said they didn't need them and proceeded to tell me exactly what the FSM said. They also called me once they had the old windshield and gasket out and said that they found one spot of rust which they wanted my permission to take to bare metal, prime and paint with something relatively fast drying. I gave them the go ahead. 80 Landcruisers are notorious for leaking and I have had no problems whatsoever with mine.

You might try Safelite but go and talk to them (or any other place for that matter) first. Also make sure you have the FSM with you or at least have a pretty good understanding of what it says.

I have a first ten pickup I am replacing the windshield. I have done some research but I am not entirely sure where or if I can locate a seal/gasket for my windshield. I am in dire need of one before the weekend, I am trying to go riding this weekend. Any info is greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Cookeville, Tn.

The gasket/dam is disco by Toyota, aftermarket is the only option. :frown:

Do you know where I can get the BEST one or one that will do the job well?

I would call around to local glass shops, find an old-timer. I had a local place put a new windshield in my truck ('87) last summer, it was freshly painted and no glass to remove, so it was only $185 total. The guy that came out has been doing windshields for almost 30 years, and has done dozens of these trucks. He was really good, took his time, showed me a bunch of tricks and tools. The lady that took my order on the phone said it would only take less than an hour, but he was at my house for almost 4 hours. He even helped me put in the Xcab and rear cab window.

Do you know where I can get the BEST one or one that will do the job well?

Like KLF said, find the best recommended windshield guy in the area, he will know what works. With my 1st Gen 4Runner, the discontinued gasket wasn't the problem I had, it was the rust that tends to accumulate under the windshield and gasket that was the real PITA. Once that was fixed, the wind should guy did a super job with whatever aftermarket gasket he used. It's more technique with the placement and sealant than the gasket:meh:

Sent from my interwebz doo-dad

well, a couple years down the road and my f-ing windshield is leaking again. this time the adhesive completely failed. i can peel it away from the car and the truck cab with two fingers, like the string cheese.
this is absolute BS. cant find anyone to do decent work around here.
and now, of course, my previously pristine window channel is now full of surface rust, all the way around.
so now i have to completely remove all of the paint down to bare metal, stop rust, prepare surface, repaint, and find another arshole to put in another windshield.

This sounds like a whole lot of f***ing around just to replace a windshield. Any glass guy that's been in the trade for 10 years has more than likely done dozens of Toyota windows and trim, my buddy had all the trim off and window ready to be cut out in 10-15 minutes with no damage obviously. After window showed up wrong so it won't get put in until Monday but if you're using a normal glass shop they will also supply you with all the clips for installation. All in I'm going to be around $120.

Another thing about your urethane peeling off.... if you would have left a thin film of it on the body when you originally did the windshield and primed over that before laying your cheese down, there is absolutely no possible way it would be peeling away from the body. When it's properly done, that s*** doesn't come off.

Many people don't fix any of the rust problems when they have the windshield out. based on what I saw and had to repair when I replaced my most recent windshield, looks like the last time the new windshield and urethane was just put on over surface rust, which accelerated the rust, and the urethane wan just peeling off when they pulled it out last month:meh:

personally, i dont think the "you have to leave some old adhesive on there" philosophy holds water. When that truck was built in 1988, and Mr. T rolled it down the assembly line, when it got to the windshield station, guess what, there wasn't any old adhesive on the windshield frame was there. and that crap held on there for 20+ years.

So to me, there is no excuse why someone cant glue in a windshield whehter there is no old glue or not and have it not leak.

Additionally, you have to remember older toyotas are not as popular on the east coast as they are out in west coast. around here, if its not 10 years old or newer, everyone is a Dumbass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom