Finally started it (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Got to figure out how to lose the fender flares on the rear to smooth it out so it doesn't look so goofy.

Wow! It's been what, just over a month since I last checked in, and this build is REALLY moving along! Sorry about that David, I just sorta lumped you in with all the other builders that take a year or two to burn together a project like this.

On the t-case mount, I think the quality of the fab is awesome, and the product is a prime example of the K.I.S.S. principle. But I do have a question. In my mind having a crossmember with 4 corners seems a little counter productive, as the the flex of the frame would tend to put stress on the member that it wouldn't have with only two mounting points. If ANYONE viewing this thread can enlighten me on that point, I would appreciate it.

Second, yours is the first build where I have seen someone using a faux adjustable link rod for mock up. That is really, really cool. Did you borrow those, and more importantly, would they be available to borrow again? Those look like the sheit for getting lengths and angles down on a link conversion. Of course, if you tell me EVERYBODY's got them, that'll just show how little I know about link stuff anyways!;p

Since you've now set the wheelbase, the only logical answer to your wheelwell question is to lengthen the body!;p

:cheers:

Got a little bit done. :bounce2::bounce::beer:

P7160044.jpg

P7170046.jpg

P7170047.jpg

P7170049.jpg

P7170050.jpg
[/quote]

I was reading an article about a 4runner yesterday and I recalled your truck.

looking good dave and one step closer to be done

Got some more work done yesterday. I spent the morning getting the tcase, tranny and engine back together and installed.

100_0652.jpg

Devin came back from doing a job and decided we should work late and try to get everything ready to start the front supension.

Started out makeing flanges for the removable skid plate that will run from the oilpan back to the tcase skid.

100_0656.jpg

100_0658.jpg

These will go from motor mount to motor mount. I graduated from sweeping and pictures to deburring parts:D

Next we broke out the bender and made the crossbrace.

100_0661.jpg

Tacked it in

100_0664.jpg

Pulled it out and welded it solid

100_0667.jpg

100_0671.jpg

Reinstalled it and put the tires and wheels back on and started figuring on the lower links and steering cylinder mount.

100_0673.jpg

And as she sits as of midnight last night

100_0675.jpg

100_0676.jpg

Also tested the ARB locker..... SWEET!

Lookin Good David.. Cannot wait for you to get that thing finished.:cool:
Any ideas when it may be done ??

Very nice indeed sir. :beer:

Gonna be damn-fine to have 'nother hardcore rig in The White Trash ... 'specially considerin' your Piggy ain't never done nothin' but slow us down. :flipoff2:

Keep on it ... Jamboree be here in no time at all. :grinpimp:

:flamingo:

Got a little more to show for last nights work. We have been trying to determine how to mount the front lower link mounts to the frame and keep the tires from hitting the links but we didn't want to have them just hanging off of the bottom of the frame. We wanted to mount them outside of the frame but the tires would get into them hard! There wasn't room inside the frame so Devin just decided to french some buckets into the frame.

PB290016.jpg

PB290019.jpg

This got us up high enough but he wanted to make it pretty and not hang on any rocks since I'm running such a long wheelbase (115") so we ramped the frame to the buckets.

PB290020.jpg

Devin also wanted to reinforce the frame a little since we clearanced the lower part of the frame to help clear the links so he cut a little fishplate and welded it up.

PB290021.jpg

The end result is VERY NICE!!! Strong attatchment points and should be snag-free. The tires clear the links and the front lower links are the same length as the rear lowers so that I can carry a spare link htat fits front and rear ...........just in case!

PB300003.jpg

PB290026.jpg

And just to prove that I've been there and to scare the kids at home

PB130271.jpg

I'm very pleased and thankful for all the work Devin is putting into this thing. It's going to be a blast to wheel when we're done.

Also got the drums pulled off the 14 bolt and the hubs cleaned up to put the disc brakes on.

PB290018.jpg

Frenched in lower links ... front and rear links same length ...

Was Devin snoopin' under my rig at Clayton?? :p

Keep the update pics comin' ... but please ... no more close-ups of you sir. :flipoff2:

:flamingo:

Done posted up in a couple of other forums so I thouught that I'd dang sure let ya'll see some more pics:

Well here's what we're going to go with. More of a 5 link or a 4 link with panhard. Don't have the panhard on yet though, waiting for heims.

100_0845.jpg

The links have around 8" of seperation at the axle end and about 6 1/2" at the frame.

100_0846.jpg

100_0848.jpg

You can see that the top and bottom links are directly in line to reduce or eliminate binding.

100_0853.jpg

100_0858.jpg

Got alot of boxing in to do and trying to figure out where the shocks are going to mount.

Devin caught me wacking it off. The frame that is. Gonna tube the front out to hold the radiator and fenders. Don't know when its gona be done. Gotta put some axles under a trailer pretty soon so I can haul my Pig to the Jambo.

Really diggin' the way you guys frenched in the lower mounts for the links. :clap:

The adjustable mock-up links are one of those cool things you see and say "why didnt I think of that?"

Chris:cool:

Since it don't take too long, I went ahead and finished.

The adjustable mock-up links are one of those cool things you see and say "why didnt I think of that?"

Chris:cool:

Thanks Chris for clearing that up.

I was wondering, What the hell w/ the squre tubing?

now I get it.

Looking good Dave!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom