Finally got a LC v2.0! (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think the big benefit of the GTurbo is that is will run 18-24 PSI for a long time and not blow up. Being a stock frame turbo, I wouldn't expect too much difference, if you keep the boost the same. (you're not running a bad boy, right?) But, you can turn that boost up now... as long as your intake box can handle it. I am considering turning my boost back up, even though I've heard that the stock box doesn't like it.

What boost are you running now, and what would you consider "back up" levels of boost? I'm tempted to turn it up further, but I've been advised 20psi is about as much as you'd want without an IC.

Are those temps under load or cruising at those speeds? Are you intercooled yet?

Those figures are all with cruise control set, running at that speed until everything stabilized (mostly talking EGT's here). I am not running an intercooler, doesn't make a lot of sense for where I live, but I can certainly see the appeal in the mountains!

What boost are you running now, and what would you consider "back up" levels of boost? I'm tempted to turn it up further, but I've been advised 20psi is about as much as you'd want without an IC.

I ran 23psi for a while and my EGTs were lower. Only problem was noticable suction at the intake when I would boost spike. Torfab would have solved that problem with their highflow airbox. But, they seem to have lost interest in that. Now, I can get EGTs above 1200 on long hills. Considering getting an intercooler as well.

I ran 23psi for a while and my EGTs were lower. Only problem was noticable suction at the intake when I would boost spike. Torfab would have solved that problem with their highflow airbox. But, they seem to have lost interest in that. Now, I can get EGTs above 1200 on long hills. Considering getting an intercooler as well.

How did you notice/measure suction at the intake? Have you got something set up to monitor for this?

We need to convince him to make that airbox. I wonder how many of us North American HDJ guys would commit to buying one.

How did you notice/measure suction at the intake? Have you got something set up to monitor for this?

I don't have anything formal. But I could hear and feel the airflow get bumpy. Tor told me that the suction would pull the compressor into the housing if I wasn't careful. So, I lowered boost. I told him Inwould pay for the airbox that day. Want to team up and ask together? I can call again with an order for 3.

I don't have anything formal. But I could hear and feel the airflow get bumpy. Tor told me that the suction would pull the compressor into the housing if I wasn't careful. So, I lowered boost. I told him Inwould pay for the airbox that day. Want to team up and ask together? I can call again with an order for 3.

Depending on price and snorkel compatibility, yes.

I'd need to know price before I could say, I've asked him for it a few times on forums but no response.

Last night I installed and received my Delta Vehicle Solutions rear panhard bar relocation bracket. Install was simple enough, took about an hour.

Results are almost as though the truck got a rear swaybar upgrade, it corners more confidently and predictably, bumps in the road don't toss you around the same way anymore, suspension just cycles up and down as it should, without the tail wag I'd just accepted and corrected for this whole time. Pretty happy with the product.

IMG_3522[1].JPG

I'm also chasing an exhaust rattle that appeared after the turbo upgrade, it seems it's coming from the muffler. I may chop it out and straight pipe it to see if I could live with the noise, leaving me a little bit of time to order and weld in a new muffler before the trip at the end of the month if need be.

So I didn't get around to re-doing my 1/4 mile run with the GTurbo w/ same fuel settings...but I did start messing with the main fuel screw last night. Started with 1/8 turn, and it was noticeably better. So it got another 1/8 turn, and it was even better. Ended up at 1/2 turn, I need to adjust my idle down a touch as it was finally affected at that level. It really woke the truck up!

Last weekend I "resolved" my exhaust rattle by having a mufflerectomy performed, and I found that under constant load the noise level was same as before (can't even hear it), but under acceleration it was too loud, the tone was unpleasant/metallic, and I was convinced I'd be ordering a new muffler ASAP. Gave it the rest of the weekend and put some miles on it, and it seemed to mellow out a bit, maybe the new pipe just needed a dusting of soot to quiet it down? I don't know, it doesn't make a lot of sense, but it's quieted down.

After adding some main fuel screw, the tone has improved noticeably, it sounds fuller and more pleasing to the ear, and it's far easier to drive quietly than before! The turbo spools up faster (not surprising), the power band is much broader (feels like a lot more area under the curve), the truck really moves out with no additional smoke even at night, and even the transmission seems to be in the right gear more of the time! It's been all positive!

I'm going to leave it at this level for the time being and watch for any negatives. I think I can stand to firm up the spring in the boost compensator, as I had it set up more like an on/off switch than progressive, using shims to limit travel from hitting overboost. I'm thinking I may see some fuel economy gains by keeping it from hitting full fuel at lower than max boost levels, especially on the highway. I'll keep playing around over the next few weeks leading up to the trip, but I'm very happy with the results so far!

Well...I found a negative.

Truck was running mint, I was so happy with it. Came off the highway and noticed it was very laggy to build boost, running lower boost than previous at given speeds, and would only hit 18psi when floored whereas the mbc was set to 20psi. Spent yesterday tearing things apart and double checking everything, it looks like my wastegate flap isn't closing and is causing a boost leak internal to the turbo. FML.

The wastegate actuator moves as it should when I put pressure to the reference line with a bicycle pump, and holds until you release the pressure, so that's not the problem. It's just not sealing and allowing exhaust to bypass the turbo under all conditions.

I'll pull the exhaust and dump pipe off this weekend and see if I can see what's going on. My summer roadtrip plans are in serious peril and I'm feeling super stressed about it. We have the wife's truck to use if need be, but that wasn't the point of putting in all this work so we could take mine.

Hey @IanB

Did you contact GTurbo about that wastegate flap issue? Seems like they would support their product and help you take care of it.

Also, when you ordered your DVS lift bracket, how long did it take for you to get it?

Hey @IanB

Did you contact GTurbo about that wastegate flap issue? Seems like they would support their product and help you take care of it.

Also, when you ordered your DVS lift bracket, how long did it take for you to get it?

Ya, I've been dealing with Graeme throughout troubleshooting and he agrees it's a wastegate issue. Requested he send me a replacement and I'd pay priority shipping so I could have the truck together in time for our trip...3 days now and no response. I'm not sure if he's away or what, but the timing sucks.

I'm now past the point where I can have the truck fixed and tested to take it on the trip, we'll have to take the wife's truck. I'm very disappointed in how this has played out.

The DVS panhard relocation bracket took about 2 weeks from when I ordered to receive it. Nothing but good things to say about that product.

Well, it's been 11 months, the new wastegate did not resolve the turbo issues, swapping the stock turbo back on did. Sent the Gturbo back to Australia where it was tested and they claim there was no issue could be found with it. Ended up "trading it in" on a new one. So much for buy once, cry once. It's been a rough year for me as far as this truck is concerned.

New turbo is on, and the truck is running great!

Forging ahead, I've got some sweet LED aux lights to install, and I need to get my winch back on the truck, and loads of other little projects that got shelved while the turbo stuff got sorted out.

I've been slowly adding fuel in via the main fuel screw adjustment, each time there's a noticeable improvement, and the truck is running great! I'm getting a bit of visible exhaust smoke haze under hard throttle during the day now, so I think I'm about where I need to be. EGT's are still good, but I've got no hills to really load it up for an extended period. I'll be making some further boost compensator adjustments now to have the boost fueling come in more progressively, hoping to realize better highway fuel economy by doing this.

I've been slowly adding fuel in via the main fuel screw adjustment, each time there's a noticeable improvement, and the truck is running great! I'm getting a bit of visible exhaust smoke haze under hard throttle during the day now, so I think I'm about where I need to be. EGT's are still good, but I've got no hills to really load it up for an extended period. I'll be making some further boost compensator adjustments now to have the boost fueling come in more progressively, hoping to realize better highway fuel economy by doing this.

Are you running the most aggressive side of your pin already? I'm considering rotating mine to that position. Right now, if I really stab the throttle, I'll get a small puff of smoke but then it runs clear. I haven't touched my min fuel screw, but I suspect mine has been touched in the past.

I'm running mine on the most aggressive profile and fine tuning it with the main fuel screw. I'm running 24 psi and I've got it so egts are OK, but just barely OK.

I'm running a ground pin, so only 1 face/profile is in use, not concentric like the stock pin. I do have the stock pin as well, and may play with that some more as I get back into messing with the boost compensator this summer.

I'm running mine on the most aggressive profile and fine tuning it with the main fuel screw. I'm running 24 psi and I've got it so egts are OK, but just barely OK.

You are intercooled aren't you? Are you running a stock airbox still? I recently turned my pin to the max side and my rig really scoots now. My boost bumped up to 24psi, with the extra fueling. I am really wanting a high flow box, just to keep my worry at bay. I know that Torfab box accommodates a snorkel...

@IanB @DancesWithMutts Would you guys be interested in me contacting Torfab (again!) and mentioning that I might have an order for 3 boxes, to get a price?

You are intercooled aren't you? Are you running a stock airbox still? I recently turned my pin to the max side and my rig really scoots now. My boost bumped up to 24psi, with the extra fueling. I am really wanting a high flow box, just to keep my worry at bay. I know that Torfab box accommodates a snorkel...

@IanB @DancesWithMutts Would you guys be interested in me contacting Torfab (again!) and mentioning that I might have an order for 3 boxes, to get a price?

I have no intercooler (it's dreadfully flat here, lol), and a stock airbox for the time being. I bought a late model FZJ airbox lid with the bigger outlet pipe that I'll be adapting to fit later this summer (hopefully). I got it cheap and I'm going to see that project through before deciding if I need more.

It's almost like you need to drive to Torfab's shop to get him to discuss his airbox, best of luck if you pursue it.

I have no intercooler (it's dreadfully flat here, lol), and a stock airbox for the time being. I bought a late model FZJ airbox lid with the bigger outlet pipe that I'll be adapting to fit later this summer (hopefully). I got it cheap and I'm going to see that project through before deciding if I need more.

It's almost like you need to drive to Torfab's shop to get him to discuss his airbox, best of luck if you pursue it.

Sounds good. The worst part is that I happened to be in Everett WA for a wedding a few months ago. So, I decided to walk over to the shop... closed for the day!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom