Events/Trails Fifth Annual 70 Series Meet and Greet, September 26th - 29th, 2019 Windrock Park (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Having just returned home after spending the past week at Wind Rock enjoying the trails with Cruiser community, I would like to share a few cautionary thoughts to those that are considering attending. [I was there to attend the Great Smokey Mountain Trail Ride (GSMTR) which is a TLCA sponsored event hosted by the STLCA chapter.]

(1) The event host advised all trucks be equipped with sliders and front/rear recovery points as basic precautionary measures to run the trails. The same advice holds for the meet-n-greet.

(2) Trail numbering convention identifies many trails with G#. This signifies that, during oil well maintenance, logging or other commercial activity, the trail will be effectively be maintained as a gravel road to support large commercial vehicles. Currently; very limited heavy commercial activity has been going on, so most of the G-trails have not received maintenance recently and may not by September. Consequently, please treat these G-trails with respect and caution. For example yesterday, a trail ready FJCruiser (sliders, front bullbar/w winch, steel rear bumper, lockers, lift, 35" tires, experienced driver) encountered a washout on G40 which required hugging a rock outcropping to avoid rolling over in crossing the wash out. The rock outcropping went over the slider and pushed in the sheet metal on the two side doors. Sheet metal damage was great outcome compared to a roll over.

Please don't view my cautions as negatives for this event or the park. Rather I see this as full disclosure to allow planning and preparations (your truck & yourself) to enjoy this event fully. If the park or surrounding WMAs contain risks and potential challenges that you would not enjoy tackling in your 70 series, the area is loaded with history and sights that you can enjoy outside the park while enjoying the Cruisers and Cruiser community with the meet-n-greet. It was my pleasure to enjoy the Wind Rock trails and Cruiser community for 6 days. My daughter, grandson and I had a blast; but work beckons ... otherwise I would probably still have a blast there.

I hope you can make it out for the event. Regrettably, I do not expect to be able to attend this year since it falls on my wedding anniversary.

PS FYI Here is a shot taken on trail 11 which was fun and easy. This section had rocks big enough to cause damage but our group readily picked lines that avoided any damage or issue to anyone.

GSMTR2019 Trail 11.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Larry. An excellent write up. In the past on occasion we've had folks break off from the group to visit some of the local historical sights not necessarily associated with the park. Perhaps we should sit aside at least one day to do the same thing.

Google says that 68 hours of driving time, and 7,118ks round trip from my house. I feel like I will need more than the designated travel days to make this...
But you would be in the running for the "I traveled the greatest distance" commemorative coffee mug. :)

Another reason for the early notice:
The cabins at Windrock have a tendency to book up early so if you prefer to stay in one of the cabins I would suggest booking early. There are also multiple hotels in Oak Ridge.

I just made my cabin reservations. I will be in Cabin 596 "Elk View" check in Thursday, check out Sunday.

I plan to bringing down a charcoal bbq trailer. I would like to host a bbq Friday and/or Saturday night. It will be BYOB/BYOM. Feedback is welcomed and appreciated. Based on the pictures it looks like 4-5 trucks will fit at that specific cabin.

Having just returned home after spending the past week at Wind Rock enjoying the trails with Cruiser community, I would like to share a few cautionary thoughts to those that are considering attending. [I was there to attend the Great Smokey Mountain Trail Ride (GSMTR) which is a TLCA sponsored event hosted by the STLCA chapter.]

(1) The event host advised all trucks be equipped with sliders and front/rear recovery points as basic precautionary measures to run the trails. The same advice holds for the meet-n-greet.

(2) Trail numbering convention identifies many trails with G#. This signifies that, during oil well maintenance, logging or other commercial activity, the trail will be effectively be maintained as a gravel road to support large commercial vehicles. Currently; very limited heavy commercial activity has been going on, so most of the G-trails have not received maintenance recently and may not by September. Consequently, please treat these G-trails with respect and caution. For example yesterday, a trail ready FJCruiser (sliders, front bullbar/w winch, steel rear bumper, lockers, lift, 35" tires, experienced driver) encountered a washout on G40 which required hugging a rock outcropping to avoid rolling over in crossing the wash out. The rock outcropping went over the slider and pushed in the sheet metal on the two side doors. Sheet metal damage was great outcome compared to a roll over.

Please don't view my cautions as negatives for this event or the park. Rather I see this as full disclosure to allow planning and preparations (your truck & yourself) to enjoy this event fully. If the park or surrounding WMAs contain risks and potential challenges that you would not enjoy tackling in your 70 series, the area is loaded with history and sights that you can enjoy outside the park while enjoying the Cruisers and Cruiser community with the meet-n-greet. It was my pleasure to enjoy the Wind Rock trails and Cruiser community for 6 days. My daughter, grandson and I had a blast; but work beckons ... otherwise I would probably still have a blast there.

I hope you can make it out for the event. Regrettably, I do not expect to be able to attend this year since it falls on my wedding anniversary.

PS FYI Here is a shot taken on trail 11 which was fun and easy. This section had rocks big enough to cause damage but our group readily picked lines that avoided any damage or issue to anyone.

To reinforce this message, water crossings were higher than expected due to rainfall. Nothing required a snorkel but check your breathers for sure! Don’t get lazy on normal prep like I did too.

80407D7F-1616-4EBB-BE11-981FDACE0DFE.jpeg

229210C6-C1A0-426B-9ED6-6CDAF92B0392.jpeg

My, that's a fresh tyre....:doh:

My, that's a fresh tyre....:doh:

Yeah, during preinspection it check out barring minor cracks. After the first day that is what I saw on post checks. It killed me to leave early but I could risk doing the rest of the Saturday/Sunday and the drive back to Ohio without a spare. 5 new tires for this year.

To respond to a reoccurring question:
Although there are numerous trails at Windrock where lockers, winches and off road experience are beneficial there are also plenty that require none of the above. Historically our volunteer guides have offered trails that are reasonably matched to both you and your vehicle's capabilities and this year should be no different. So even if your Cruiser is 100% stock you are encouraged to attend our little get together. :)

I'll be there. I could pre-run some trails on weekend before. I live like 30 min from Windrock.
We can use all of the help we can get. Look forward to meeting you.

Not to beat a dead horse but if your intentions are to rent a cabin at the park I highly encourage you to book early. There are several hotels in Oak Ridge (approx. 10 minutes from Windrock) and a number of us have stayed there during previous events. The hotels also have high occupancy rates so it's prudent to also book early.

ATTENTION LJ OWNERS.......
As you know the "heavy duty" Cruiser owners always make fun of you guys. Here is your chance to prove them wrong. :)
Among the impressive group of 70 Series that attended last year, we only had one LJ show up. It's up to you guys to change that.

Last edited:
I would be, but I don’t believe any are left.
Although I've never rented one of their cabins I believe you can be added to a list in the event someone cancels their reservation. At this early date the odds may be in your favor.

History has taught us that it's always prudent to have extra guides for this event so if you are familiar with the trails at Windrock and are willing to help if necessary please let me know.
Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom