Fender Flare Adhesive Removal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What have you all used to remove the tar-like adhesive after taking off the fender flares? I have acetone or paint thinner but don't want to mess up the paint.

Thanks,
ML

I'm looking forward to removing mine in the coming months!

However I think there is damage done underneath so I may have to reinstall them, lol...

Throw up some pics when your done.

In the past I have safely used the citrus goo gone stuff that is a type of gel. It seems to stick on and soak in better making it easier I think.

You can get most of it off using a good adhesive remover. There will be a small amount left and can be removed using a yellow clay bar. Lot's of elbow grease but it will come off without damaging the paint. Try the bar on other surfaces and it will make it slick as clean glass. Kits are at all major auto parts stores. Used it many times with total success. Others may agree and add their experience.

I used a stripe off wheel, and mineral spirits. But there was one small spot by the rear wheel where the flares had worn the paint off and bare metal is showing. Glad they're off.

Gasoline- safe on paint, plenty, soften glue so you can roll it. It's pretty much my remover for oil leak on drive way, adhesive, tar spray on body, glue on interior wood trim, etc...

I used Goo Gone and WD-40. Followed up with clay bar and some Griots Garage Complete Compound. Can still see outlines of where the flairs were, but looks better.

You will probably have some paint damage that you can touch up.

I used a stripe off wheel, and mineral spirits. But there was one small spot by the rear wheel where the flares had worn the paint off and bare metal is showing. Glad they're off.

Have a pic?

What did you end up doing to repair or cover it?

I know I'll have an open spot where that exact thing happened on my left rear door area. :(

I've even thought about just covering them in Line-X and putting them back on.

Have a pic?

What did you end up doing to repair or cover it?

I know I'll have an open spot where that exact thing happened on my left rear door area. :(

Your truck is white, should be a pretty simple repair. Get some touch up paint from the dealer or parts store and I use this.

Langka - Blob Eliminator.

DR Colorchip may be another option.

It won't be perfect, but you can go a long way toward it.

Thank you all for the replies/suggestions. I will work on it this weekend.

ML

FWIW the 3M eraser wheel in a drill is just to easy of a way to get rid of the remnants!

Don't wear nice cloths as it basically shreds itself as it re iced the crud but it's SO simple now.

I washed the dirt and crud throughly with a throw away wash cloth and soap before taking the 3M wheel to the left over adhesive.

IMG_0477.JPG

IMG_0478.JPG

The adhesive was gone on my truck. The flares had rubber gaskets around the tops and that did a number on my paint. You can clearly see where they were!
Regardless, it looks so much better without the flares.

Daisy

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom