February ROTM 2014 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Hi Don, Any thoughts of a date yet?

Being the new guy I suggest the weekend of the 22nd. It's the only one I have off! Any links to the trail info for Cherry Creek?

Has the date and place been confirmed?

Any new info on this run or projected date? Will there be camping involved? From the pictures online the area looks like it has a lot of trees and camping spots.

Any new info on this run or projected date? Will there be camping involved? From the pictures online the area looks like it has a lot of trees and camping spots.

Familiar with the area and Im in for camping.

Me three,
love the area

Never been - sounds great. What's the trail like?

My wife's not all that in to the offroading thing but I would love to run that FS trail all the way up to the 260. If we come along (with our little ones), will this pass the "family friendly" test or will I get my eyes gouged out by her whenever we make it home and I'm reminded how easily unnerved my better half is? :confused:

Never been - sounds great. What's the trail like?

My wife's not all that in to the offroading thing but I would love to run that FS trail all the way up to the 260. If we come along (with our little ones), will this pass the "family friendly" test or will I get my eyes gouged out by her whenever we make it home and I'm reminded how easily unnerved my better half is? :confused:

If the run stays on FR203/Cherry Creek road and its dry she will love it, very scenic.

My guess is details will be posted once puulboy is back in town.

Cherry Creek Globe to Young 2/22/14

Sorry guys.
Prep for the Hammers and work got me behind
I am calling this on short notice, but we can also make it one week later which would be March 1'st . I will do whatever necessary to make this reasonable for interested parties.

8 am at the usual shell station in Gold Canyon , then trek up to globe to begin the trail . it should be a full day from the time we leave until the time we get back. This is a really scenic trail with hardly any difficulty . Bring lunch , a camera and we can stop for dinner after the trail for those interested

Synopsis
Cherry Creek Canyon is a very desolate place and sees little traffic. It follows the eastern edge of the Sierra Ancha Wilderness, and with points along the way an eager hiker can hike up to the cliff dwellings located in the wilderness. The road itself is not maintained leading itself to mostly ATV traffic.

The road is a cut bank along the hill, and the only potential is having parts of the road either washed down or rocks from above washed on to the road. There are a few camp sites along the way, but due to its sideslope aspect, they are few.

Difficulty
Stock rigs should have no problems running the trail. There are only a few places where there is any careful consideration of tire placement is needed.

This trail would be know for its more desolate nature as once in the canyon the only communication to the outside world is by back tracking. In Young there are no services (no cell/no gas/little food), so do not rely on getting there to refurbish.

Length
From 288 south of Roosevelt Lake, looping through the canyon, and back to 288 near Young, AZ is about 41 miles. Trail will take 4 1/2 hours, but any stops to hike will add to that time.

The trail parallels the 288 Hwy (Globe to Young). The signs on the south end are hard to miss, and just follow the 203 road until it meets back up to the 288 Hwy.

We cant make it, but will be there. We will be camping around coon creek for our Javelina Hunt. Last few years we camped just this side of Coon Creek, it all depends on where other hunters are at. So there could be some traffic with all the hunters out there.

Look for a couple of 80s and a 60.

Last years camp.

IMG_0621.jpg

I may have missed it, but what day is the run?

I got 8 am, and where to meet, but not what day.

...via IH8MUD app

Can someone please post address of Shell station (Gold Canyon) or provide directions, not familiar with location. Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom