Favorite Roof Rack (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know this is a preference thing but I have little knowledge of racks... What is everyones favorite? I don’t want to spend a ton of money and want to strap a rooftop tent ⛺️ to it for camping with my son. Go!

I thought you could just place a RTT on your factory cross bars?

My 2000 LC has three “feet” per side and those bars seem plenty strong to me.

Wish I had an aftermarket rack though...

With absolutely no real world knowledge I’m voting Gamiviti, 100 racks

IMG_0006.JPG
I was looking at a Gamiviti too. They appear to be a well built and affordable rack with lots of customizable features. I ended up going with Rhino Rack Vortex 3 bar kit and they are perfect for what I use them for...hauling lumber, Yakima box, etc. I ended up going with them because I get a pro-deal with Rhino Rack and I couldn't pass on the price. They mounted perfectly to the factory mounting points which was great because I ordered two sets of Yakima feet that claimed to mount to the 100 series factory points but didn't fit. Not sure of the load rating of the bars but they're plenty burly and should hold a RTT.

View attachment 1720365 I was looking at a Gamiviti too. They appear to be a well built and affordable rack with lots of customizable features. I ended up going with Rhino Rack Vortex 3 bar kit and they are perfect for what I use them for...hauling lumber, Yakima box, etc. I ended up going with them because I get a pro-deal with Rhino Rack and I couldn't pass on the price. They mounted perfectly to the factory mounting points which was great because I ordered two sets of Yakima feet that claimed to mount to the 100 series factory points but didn't fit. Not sure of the load rating of the bars but they're plenty burly and should hold a RTT.

Hi. Do those Rhino Aero 2500s actually use the existing threaded gutter mounts? It looked like they don't. Did you need to modify installation? I took my factory roof rack off the 2001 LX 470 today.

Hi. Do those Rhino Aero 2500s actually use the existing threaded gutter mounts? It looked like they don't. Did you need to modify installation? I took my factory roof rack off the 2001 LX 470 today.

They do. There are basically three seperate pieces to the kit (crossbars, feet, and a “fit kit”). The feet bolt directly to the threads where the factory feet were mounted, the fit kit attaches to the feet, and the bars attach to the fit kit. It was a super easy install and was basically plug and play. You can see in the attached photo where the feet bolt into the factory threads.

FDA5ADEF-553B-4028-9E3A-1C7ADDC59361.jpeg

I have a Rhino Rack Platform which I really like. It mounts to the preexisting points
using the RLCP legs as described by MTNRig. I weigh 190 and can walk from corner to corner
with no flex so it is very stiff and strong. I also considered the Front Runner which is of
very similar design, but it has raised ridge on the platform edges that make it difficult
to mount a RTT.

IMG_0334.jpg

Tim at Gamiviti is a huge supporter of the 100 community. He makes an amazing product. I don’t have any plans for a roof rack right now because of my priority list, but whenever I decide to it will be a gamiviti.

Tim at Gamiviti is a huge supporter of the 100 community. He makes an amazing product. I don’t have any plans for a roof rack right now because of my priority list, but whenever I decide to it will be a gamiviti.

No doubt. He gave away an incredible amount of product last year at 100s to raffles & the drink glasses. Hard not to support a guy that gives back like he does.

Never mind the fact he makes a great product :cheers:

They do. There are basically three seperate pieces to the kit (crossbars, feet, and a “fit kit”). The feet bolt directly to the threads where the factory feet were mounted, the fit kit attaches to the feet, and the bars attach to the fit kit. It was a super easy install and was basically plug and play. You can see in the attached photo where the feet bolt into the factory threads.

View attachment 1724066
My stuff came yesterday. Got it thru eTrailer. Can't say enough good things about their customer service.

Gamiviti all the way all day long. Best value in a rack IMO and Tim is a fantastic supporter of our community.

IMG_1109.JPG

Everybody is just gonna recommend what they have, LOL! You have options from:

- Dissent Off Road
- Eezi Awn
- Front Runner
- Gamiviti
- Gobi
- Rhino Rack
- probably a bunch more

My recommendation for hands-down, ne plus ultra, absolute best in the universe is Dissent Off Road. It's absolute coincidence that I just happen to own one.

Front Runner FTW. Seriously though, lots of great options. I just really like all the specialized mounting options.

1999-land-cruiser-with-rack-jpg.829110

I have a FrontRunner on my LX570 but we just got done installing one of the Dissent racks on my son's LX470. As with Ben's bumpers, this rack is smartly engineered and a piece of cake to install. We also opted for the RTT bars which are going to save him (me) a bunch of skinned knuckles when its tent time. Very unique in appearance which we happen to like but to each his own.

Reactions: BEG
I’m especially interested in this conversation. But one thing that no one mentions is the use of the sun roof with a rack. Looks like gamiviti has a cut out. I’ve read on front runners site that there is no cut out for the sun roof. Anyone have thoughts on the importantance, need or practicality?

View attachment 1720365 I was looking at a Gamiviti too. They appear to be a well built and affordable rack with lots of customizable features. I ended up going with Rhino Rack Vortex 3 bar kit and they are perfect for what I use them for...hauling lumber, Yakima box, etc. I ended up going with them because I get a pro-deal with Rhino Rack and I couldn't pass on the price. They mounted perfectly to the factory mounting points which was great because I ordered two sets of Yakima feet that claimed to mount to the 100 series factory points but didn't fit. Not sure of the load rating of the bars but they're plenty burly and should hold a RTT.

I've always just used Yakima cross bars on the factory rails, but that solution looks slick!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom