Fatgirl build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Here it is hopefully posting this will keep me motivated and accountable haha.

A little back story I’ve had this 1968 FJ40 for about 15 yrs bought it outta high desert in Arizona minus engine trans and t/case. First time I built it I was coming over from building lots of mini truck stuff so it had a front end All Pro built back in the 90s I squirreled away in the crate till this build. It had Dana 60 outers on toyota axle housing I guess All Pro and Currie got in bed to build it. Anyway I was running 3RZ W56 and single case with 4.7 gears on 37’s. It was ok at best it was SOA with flipped 49 springs and shackle reversed in front. Had it that way about 5yrs.

This build I have full width one tons GM pass drop Dana 60 and 14 bolt. I have 6.0LS a built TH350 and 4:3-1 Atlas. Im still keeping leaf springs but running FJ 60 rears in front and flipped FJ62 rears in back. I know it’s not as cool as 4 links but I don’t have funds for coil overs. Im building it primarily for a really capable hunting rig. I also already bought 39.5 kanati mud hogs and new 17in wheels.

This is not gonna be fast. I was in military and got injured spent 17 months in hospital 11 in Germany and 6 in rehab hospital. I don’t have anyone near me I know if that’s into cruisers and building so it’s 90% me and 10% my daughter. Wrestling around 1 ton axles is quite the challenge. I did take the tub off and had it blasted and completely undercoated and inside tub done in rhino liner. Another thing is I had a fab shop on the side when I was in military but had to sell it out. Man do I miss my mill and lathe. I kept basics mig/tig plasma my welding table h frame press drill press and air over hydraulic tubing bender.

Progress so far rear axle has 4.56 gears and Detroit done trussed with disc brakes. Engine trans and t/case bought built together ready to go in. Front Dana 60 4.56 with true trac till I can afford ARB. FJ60 box mounted need to send to west Texas Offroad for drill and tap/rebuild for hydraulic assist. Leaf springs on Dana 60 currently building front bumper spring mount winch to attach to front for SOA/SR.

I will try and get pics up as soon as I figure out how. Thanks for taking time to read.

A0207E66-7713-4F2C-B1ED-B51C91CA033D.jpeg

EF6D3E18-D0F9-4CEF-BE64-9EA0BA123DC2.jpeg

3165D890-299B-42C5-B5B5-CD754DE8D823.jpeg

2AA2331E-61FF-4624-A0FC-54C4C4F1771E.jpeg

4F14F82C-4DDE-4925-B5AC-AB785039F6B3.jpeg

Which radiator is that ?
I will look and see if I can find the part number it is an all aluminum staggered 4 core I believe it was made by Mishimoto (sp).

Instead of mounting it to the face of the core support I trimmed the mounts a bit and slid it inside and as far forward as I could there are aluminum spacers inside the core support to take up the difference. The fan was trimmed as well to fit inside the core support to mount it all on the same bolts if that makes sense? It turned out pretty nice I used all the factory mounts on the core support (factory welded nut plates)

I made the frame scab plates for the motor mounts to weld to today. I made them 12 in long and tapered to frame size out of 3/16 hot rolled plate. I plan to weld them around the circumference I also drilled 12 rosette holes in each plate I will weld them as well and grind smooth.

Question for everyone running a LS. How much space are you running between the snout of the water pump and your fan/radiator? Where I plan to put mine I am right at an inch. I pushed my radiator forward by mounting it inside the core support and with fan flange. So I gained about 1/34-2 inches. I was trying to gain rear drive shaft length.

The fiment was very nice, thats why I asked. My ls with a stock fj40 radiator has 6 & 3/8 " from radiator surface to front of pulley ( not snout ) I have a mechanical fan.

I got the frame plates for motor mounts on this after noon. I also got the front spring mounts on the underside of my front bumper. Mounts are going to be 1 1/2in forward of factory front shackle mount. I’m running FJ60 rear springs up front. Mounts are out boarded as well for full width Dana 60.

Sounds like a cool build !! I'm running the same 39" Mud Hugs and really like them.

I well be following along :cheers:

how about a pic of the actual 40. Would like to see the hybrid front axle

Here’s a crappy picture of my 14bolt low profile truss. The speed holes are sleeved with tube I still need to weld when I pull rear out to final weld after traction bar and my new yoke
how about a pic of the actual 40. Would like to see the hybrid front axle
i don’t have hybrid axle anymore pulled out all the mini truck parts when I got the tons. I have cruiser down the the frame. Tub is leaned up against back wall of shop. Hardtop is outside covered up and doors for top and driver/passenger are behind tub.

YES!!! a build thread. Cant wait to see how this goes together. motivate me to get mine out from under the tarp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom