FAM-V - FJ68/LS3 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Specialized Camber Comp. Love it.
Nice... I have a Stumpy FSR clone that I absolutely love. Setup 140/130 and climbs better than my old steel 100mm hardtail XC race bike. Can't wait to get back on it now that the leg is healed, just have to wait for the snow to melt.

Big news, I bought a 1996 FJ80 to serve as the chassis and powertrain donor for this build. It was a daily driver until a belt broke and the engine seized. Looks to be 100% rust free on the undercarriage. I will need to sell the rest of that vehicle if anyone knows of someone in need. I don't want to part it out; just sell the rest as a whole. Currently, it is in Houston. I will bring it back to Birmingham, AL next weekend.

2eba76ec-7765-4b22-8fd5-274ab684520c-s.jpg

View High Resolution Photo

I put the FAM-V to work over the weekend carting my son and me out to a local state park for a full day of bike riding. It became immediately evident that I need to get the ball rolling on some interior organization and the roof rack. It's great, for security reasons, to keep the bike inside, but it takes up way too much space. Hitch rack and roof rack coming soon. Plus, a proper sliding prep table and slide for the ARB freezer.

4aa1146d-6c9c-46b8-8ff8-66dbb9385bf7-s.jpg

I also had to put on a new fan clutch today. On our drive home last night, the other fan clutch gave up the ghost.

I also removed the Android head unit. The capacitive touch buttons never worked well, which made it pretty dangerous to try to turn the volume up or down while driving because you had to take your eyes off of the road so much. I swapped it out for one of these - Amazon.com: Pioneer MVH-X390BT Vehicle Digital Media Receiver with Pioneer ARC app compatibility,Built-in Bluetooth and USB Direct Control for iPod/iPhone and Certain Android Phones, Black: Cell Phones & Accessories and a tablet mount. The tablet will now serve as navigation and systems monitoring as well as some nifty wireless switching that I will share more about later.

Tablet mount - Amazon.com: Arkon Heavy Duty Tablet Wall Mount with 8 inch Arm and AMPS Drill Base for iPad Air iPad Pro iPad 4 3 2 Galaxy Note 10.1: Computers & Accessories

The mount feels very sturdy so far, which was my biggest fear. Seems like a good one. I'll grab some photos tomorrow when there's more light.

Last edited:
I made the long trip from central Alabama to Houston on Friday evening to pick up the FJ80 that will serve as the chassis and drivetrain donor for the FJ60. It was a great trip; always good when you get three generations in the same truck for 20 hours.

eb4cd103-9cab-4656-a2cd-ff3165bf8dc9-s.jpg

I'll be parting out the 80 soon. Let me know if you know anyone that would like to buy the whole thing (minus the parts I need). It was a daily driver before the previous owner's daughter threw a fan belt and melted the engine. I can get specific photos of anything needed.

I have been on the fence for the last couple of weeks, contemplating taking the easy way out and just putting the LS in the 80, but I just can't get excited about the 80. So, I'm recommitted to the 60 build, to the point I'm about to start pulling bodies off of chassis.

Working through the powertrain, I'm going to try something different with the shifter. I would like to do a column shifter. It's a lot more compact and has the tap shift and tow/haul buttons. Has anyone here tried to build a bracket to mount one of these in a 60? This one is from a 2007 Escalade.

28f31f11-46b9-4fad-8b5b-e3201ced1195-s.jpg

3ba9c3cd-f932-49d7-88e1-8d097180750c-s.jpg

Ambitious! I have not personally seen this on any of the V8 swap threads, here or on ExpoPortal or Pirate. I would imaging the problem comes with finding an adequate mounting spot on the FJ60 column and then having adequate room for that as well as the wiper controls.

Ambitious! I have not personally seen this on any of the V8 swap threads, here or on ExpoPortal or Pirate. I would imaging the problem comes with finding an adequate mounting spot on the FJ60 column and then having adequate room for that as well as the wiper controls.

It should be here in a few days. I'll post up some photos of potential mount locations for reference.

Have you looked at the 80 series swaps thread. Post 175.
There is some info there where they use a tap-shifter into the floor shifter...

Mind you....they using a gen 4 engine...

Have you looked at the 80 series swaps thread. Post 175.
There is some info there where they use a tap-shifter into the floor shifter...

Mind you....they using a gen 4 engine...

Wiring the switches is the easy part. www.RPMExtreme.com does that in all of their swaps. They are doing the programming and specing out the harness. Mounting the shifter body is going to be the tricky part.

Thanks for the link. I'm going to dig into that thread.

My engine is a Gen 4 as well. They're much easier to program than the Gen 5's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom