Fair price for a non-running '83 FJ60 (So. CA) (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

He's probably no where near you but Rob, @landcrusher909 can never bear to see a cruiser go w/o TLC....

I know a guy who's handy with wrenches, maybe he can give me a big helping hand. Selling the 60 and getting my wife's 80 makes practical sense but I prefer 60s. A BJ70 would mend my broken heart but those are hard to import according to what I've read.

Swapping the manifold really isn't a "hard" job. And finding one... There was one just a few days ago avail in NY for $150. Its on mud here in the classified section. I can add the link if you want.

My co-worker wants to sell his 1984 FJ60 if anybody is interested. Rebuilt tranny, rebuilt engine (about 80k miles on it) I think the headgsket was done last year. Iinterior is in good shape and body not bad. Salvage title but he has owned it since 1990. It belonged to him when it got hit and he bought it back from insurance co. I believe he wants about $1700.

The heart wants what the heart wants...CL add is down, FJ60 ain't going nowhere!! I have decided to give it a shot, I am going to try to fix it myself, what's the worst that can happen, right?, Right?? Thanks to all for all your input.

Thanks Gallo Pinto. We picked up your co-worker's '84 FJ60 this past weekend. Appreciate the lead...my 17 y/o is stoked to have his first cruiser! Thanks.

Aha! So you ended up getting it? I saw the pictures of the farewell on Facebook, your 60 looks very nice! Glad that it went to a good home.

Yes it's up in the L.A. area now. It's an exact match and same year as my FJ60 which is kinda crazy.

My 17 y/o son will be driving it. And Joe's a great guy.

We are trying to find new front doors and either a roof or entire body to swap.

Yes it's up in the L.A. area now. It's an exact match and same year as my FJ60 which is kinda crazy.

My 17 y/o son will be driving it. And Joe's a great guy.

Seek out Rob who I tagged earlier in this thread. He often has parts or knows of someone w/ some. Congrats on the new 60 for your son. Lucky kid!

@LakeNorman_FJ40

Mark at www.marksoffroad.net in Burbank has recently parted a few FJ60s, and has a good shell with doors sitting on the lot... Might try him for those body parts. 818-953-9230

Update.
Damn, it’s been a year already?? Well, I ended up getting the truck fixed, the intake manifold and it had some other issues, after that it was running great. After a few months I started planning a trip down Baja California, check some spots on the Sea of Cortez so I had my mechanic check out the front end to make sure everything was tip-top (nothing had been done to the front end since I’ve owned the truck). He found out the steering gear box was a goner so it got replaced, everything else was fine. Mexico bound!! Not so fast, the truck would stop idling once in a while but then run fine later. I checked the idle control relay and it was working fine but after a while the truck would stop idling again. Turned out to be that the relay had lost its ground, got it fixed and now it runs great again.
I ended up going to Baja in my CR-V instead but I am planning another trip, to the Pacific side, in a couple of months and I’ll drive the 60. Driving in style...

190A1FFD-C4F0-449A-815C-40D99A2C3861.jpeg

Good to see it and you on the road. Glad you decided to stick with the truck and not sell. Look at all that you would have missed out on!

Good to see it and you on the road. Glad you decided to stick with the truck and not sell. Look at all that you would have missed out on!
Thanks! Yup, it is good to be driving the 60 again, today I drove it to the beach and then did a little bit off-roading at work after that, thing is running great!

Glad to see you are back in your 60. That trip down to Cortez is a dream of mine too.

So quick update Gallo to my part in this thread...thanks again for the lead on the other San Diego 60.

We purchased that other 60 from your buddy for my son. That 60 we called "Rusty" because it very rusty at the roof line and front doors. Like a massive hole in roof we had to tape over and front doors that were completly rusted out (like needing a tetanus shot level of rusted out). And it ran great for ~9 months.

Then one day the motor just locked up - no warning or anything. Good oil pressure etc. Mechanic stated the torque specs were all off on the crank and many other internals. It had 80K or so on the rebuild.

So with a lot of rust and an engine that was toast, it was not worth a restoration at that point.

My other 60 ("Scorpion Cruiser"...b/c we found a dead scorpion in it) is a super nice all-OEM rust free truck. But it had an engine that was getting tired at 94K with low compression on 1 cylinder and it had a hairline crack on the block too.

So, with Rusty down for the count, we took the best parts from both 60's engines, plus all the CA smog and exhaust stuff from Rusty, along with a new clutch and Rusty's already rebuilt transmission to give Scorpion a new lease on life.

The remains of Rusty went to my mechanic in trade for parts and labor. And he's taking all of Rusty's interior and top of the engine to rebuild his 60.

Still a few good parts left on Rusty like rear quarters, front fenders, hood, chassis, etc. If anyone's interested (call K&H Imports in Chatsworth...speak to Armando).

Ended up replacing Rusty with a '88 4Runner.

IMG_4349.PNG

I had an v6 1st gen 4runner that I still regret selling. Blazeland suspension, soft top, and CARB legal headers.
I recommend the headers as the stock exhaust route around the rear of the engine is what kills the headgaskets in those.

Wow...Blazeland and SoftTop? Nice.

We found a Cali truck dirt cheap that was zero rust and well very kept but tired engine and auto trans.

Newly rebuilt engine (1/4 the price of a rebuilt 2F!!) and a used auto trans (practically free...SMH as son wanted auto) pulled the top off and all is good. Except the gas mileage. Lol.

Glad to see you are back in your 60. That trip down to Cortez is a dream of mine too.

So quick update Gallo to my part in this thread...thanks again for the lead on the other San Diego 60.

We purchased that other 60 from your buddy for my son. That 60 we called "Rusty" because it very rusty at the roof line and front doors. Like a massive hole in roof we had to tape over and front doors that were completly rusted out (like needing a tetanus shot level of rusted out). And it ran great for ~9 months.

Then one day the motor just locked up - no warning or anything. Good oil pressure etc. Mechanic stated the torque specs were all off on the crank and many other internals. It had 80K or so on the rebuild.

So with a lot of rust and an engine that was toast, it was not worth a restoration at that point.

My other 60 ("Scorpion Cruiser"...b/c we found a dead scorpion in it) is a super nice all-OEM rust free truck. But it had an engine that was getting tired at 94K with low compression on 1 cylinder and it had a hairline crack on the block too.

So, with Rusty down for the count, we took the best parts from both 60's engines, plus all the CA smog and exhaust stuff from Rusty, along with a new clutch and Rusty's already rebuilt transmission to give Scorpion a new lease on life.

The remains of Rusty went to my mechanic in trade for parts and labor. And he's taking all of Rusty's interior and top of the engine to rebuild his 60.

Still a few good parts left on Rusty like rear quarters, front fenders, hood, chassis, etc. If anyone's interested (call K&H Imports in Chatsworth...speak to Armando).

View attachment 1654337
s***e!!! So sorry to hear about Rusty, I was always jealous of that truck since it seemed (to me) in way better shape than mine but now that I think about it I always admired its interior. Glad to hear Scorpion gets a chance to remain amongst the living! Great truck names, by the way, mine is called "Toyotona" since that is what we used to call those trucks back home in the 1980s. That trip down the peninsula is awesome, I only had two days so I only made it to about 10 miles north of Bahía San Luis Gonzaga, next year I am going all the way to San José del Cabo. That 4Runner looks good, my roommate in college had one of those in silver, great trucks. My FJ is running very nicely now that all its issues got fixed, next I gots to get on that rust and after that the interior.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom