Failed Colorado Emissions - NOx - FJ80 1994 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

What happens in CO if you install an LS?

I am about to start my LS swap. Emissions is pretty simple. I'm buying a reconditioned 6.0L with all emissions equipment and the harness/brainbox. With HP tuners, you can tune out the EGR and install a kit (series of plugs and hoses)if you choose. You'll need to retain all the o2 sensors, but I don't have a problem with either of those things being on my vehicle, so they'll remain.

Air Care will still plug into OBDII for the test. The truck should be checked as a 20xx 2500, etc...

Yes i want to buy your mass airflow sensor asap haha. i had a mix up. call me at 5129750218

Sorry I missed this! I'll send you a text.

I am about to start my LS swap. Emissions is pretty simple. I'm buying a reconditioned 6.0L with all emissions equipment and the harness/brainbox. With HP tuners, you can tune out the EGR and install a kit (series of plugs and hoses)if you choose. You'll need to retain all the o2 sensors, but I don't have a problem with either of those things being on my vehicle, so they'll remain.

Air Care will still plug into OBDII for the test. The truck should be checked as a 20xx 2500, etc...

You can also change VIN number to match a year without an EGR. You'll also need cats, fuel tank pressure sensor, you'll need to make the fuel tank pressure sensor work with the toyota or aftermarket fuel tank level sensor. They'll check casting numbers, VIN, if PCM is locked or not, make sure motor can be installed in the vehicle (year and GVW)....It's still unclear to me if they now check CVN's, but I doubt it. If so, we're all screwed!

Sorry I missed this! I'll send you a text.
Maybe I'm slow, are you installing an EGR? That seems pointless to me when new engines don't have it.

You can also change VIN number to match a year without an EGR. You'll also need cats, fuel tank pressure sensor, you'll need to make the fuel tank pressure sensor work with the toyota or aftermarket fuel tank level sensor. They'll check casting numbers, VIN, if PCM is locked or not, make sure motor can be installed in the vehicle (year and GVW)....It's still unclear to me if they now check CVN's, but I doubt it. If so, we're all screwed!
Change the VIN number? Doesn't VIN go with the chassis? I don't want to do anything illegal, but I do want an LS in my truck because Powah!

Change the VIN number? Doesn't VIN go with the chassis? I don't want to do anything illegal, but I do want an LS in my truck because Powah!

Vin is in computer, chassis etc. There's a thread here of a guy who did the swap emissions all wrong. It's good to learn from his mistakes....

Maybe I'm slow, are you installing an EGR? That seems pointless to me when new engines don't have it.
Not installing an EGR, no. That'd be silly. I'm all about keeping it as simple as possible. I'm actually having an engine remanufactured....so it depends on the engine I purchase, really. That'll be a discussion for me and my builder. Id love to install a late model engine and not have to go through the hassle of building an engine for mileage sake, but it is what it is.

Update: I just took my car to japanese auto service here in denver. They said that my vsv valve is not operating and that my outlet cat is cool. I am going to go run the s*** out of it on the freeway and while its cool and raining today go for another test. If i fail again i need suggestions on what to do. vsv is 45$ on cruiser parts. I was quoted 450$ i assume because vsv is hard as s*** to get to. Also i could get a new cat. which sounds terrible.

Why if you didn't replace the vsv and it is truly not operating then neither is your egr

again, I would take it to an "approved" emissions shop so any money spent can count towards a waiver. JMO.

I think it took me about an hour to change the VSV, without taking the upper manifold off. There's one thread in particular here on MUD with good pictures, and it involves several ratchet extensions and reaching it from underneath the vehicle. Sounds scary but it isn't and it works well.

What happens if you turbo? Same engine, cats, etc.

The emissions system still has to be intact and functioning. A turbo adds more complexity, doesn't solve the problem.

I think it took me about an hour to change the VSV, without taking the upper manifold off. There's one thread in particular here on MUD with good pictures, and it involves several ratchet extensions and reaching it from underneath the vehicle. Sounds scary but it isn't and it works well.
Do you have the link to the thread?

Do you have the link to the thread?

It looks like the pictures are gone from the thread I was thinking about, but if you do a search you will have plenty of reading and pictures to give confidence:
LMGTFY

I followed the FSM procedures for troubleshooting the EGR system and it pointed me to the VSV. YMMV.

By the way if your VSV is not working it should have thrown a code. Not sure what code on a '94? in any case your check engine light should be on if that's the case.

Here are the only notes I could find from when I did it:
"I tried getting to it from the fender side through the small hole in the intake (after taking the brace out of the way), but my hands are big enough that that wasn't going well. So I got the throttle body off in just a few minutes and had easier access to the VSV from there. The electrical connector was a super PITA to get off, but finally it let go."

This applies to a '96, but it might help with your '94?

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/1996_manual/1996 Toyota Landcruiser Repair Manual/Emission Control/Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) System/comp.pdf

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/1996_manual/1996 Toyota Landcruiser Repair Manual/Emission Control/Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) System/insp.pdf

http://www.risingsun4x4club.org/uploads/1996_manual/1996 Toyota Landcruiser Repair Manual/Diagnostics/Engine/cip0401.pdf

Last edited:
Update: I got new cats, have been running quality fuel, and i failed emissions again for nox. i know its the egr system. But the fxxxed up thing is that the pipe that connects the egr valve to the exhaust is rusted and i am fearful of snapping it when going to take the egr off to clean it. Does anyone have any experiance with removing the egr with a rusted connector?

Did you put in a new vsv? You said it was bad so you need to change that. There is no code for vsv on 94 there is code for egr it is 71

pb blaster and a headset wrench for a bicycle. I have one and we can pop it loose in my driveway if you want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom