F2 carb on a 71? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am a newbie...yes my bezel is on upside down still...flame away.

Question wil a carb for an 2F motor fit amd work decently on my stock 71? I searched but was unsuccessful in finding an answer.

Last edited:

Question wil a carb for an 2F motor fit amd work decently on my stock 71? I searched but was unsuccessful in finding an answer.

I am not 100% sure if it will fit on the intake but a 2F uses a throttle linkage while your 71 will have a cable. The pedal is also different.

Might be quicker/easier/cheaper to source a Trollhole or Aisin F carb than retrofit a 2f carb.

@Jdc1 is correct here. I also have a 71. note that the pedal assembly in 1971 controls the carb via a cable. After the original engine seized, I transplanted a complete later model 2F into my 40 whose carb was controlled by a rod linkage assembly. I purchased a later model "pedal to carb" linkage assembly from a member on MUD. Making everything link up and enlarging the firewall holes, etc made me reconsider adapting the an older truck to the rod linkage setup.

If you can, many on MUD swear by factory fit as best. Look for an early style carb that is cable controlled. I opted for a Weber, that is also cable controlled, and it works well.

@Jdc1 My fuse block is on the gas pedal side, low firewall mounted. I have been told by some on MUD that this is incorrect and should be on the clutch pedal side. Either way, its been there a long time and seems to work correctly, so I'm leaving it. :steer:

Thanks guys for the posts. Good points, I was not aware the 2F was rod actuated.

When do you guys meet next in the Austin area?

Fwiw I am selling my Ct-5 ping me back if you know of someone in the area.

We just met this week, last Tuesday of the month at the Rudy's on 183. Its on the clubhouse site, along with a mini local classifieds section. Post there to broaden your network. GLWS!

I think mine is on the gas pedal side too. I will need to look when I get back.

For the 69/70/71/72 trucks make sure to order parts using your date of manufacture found on the data tag. There are alot of changes happening in the early 70s that can make ordering parts pretty frustrating.

Mine does not have a date only the year?
Unable to upload a pic right now.

Look at the door plate, not the one under the hood. Should have a month and year of build. Mine is stamped Jul 1971

EDIT: front of the driver side door jamb is where you should look

The "easy button" would be to call Mark's Offroad in Burbank, CA and buy a Japanese made Aisan 1F carb that he has tweeked to perform better than factory. He adds a vac port so you can run a vac advance dissy. USA 71's came with vac retard.

Do you have the OEM carb riser with the PCV port? Mark would have one if you don't.

You have to call him though. —>1 (818) 953-9230
I usually rattle off what I need on Mark's answering machine and he call's me back with prices and availability.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom