Builds ERG80's 1997 T100 SR5 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice looking T100. A very under rated truck IMO. Any suspension mods coming up?

Nice looking T100. A very under rated truck IMO. Any suspension mods coming up?

Thanks. no suspension plans at this time. Going to keep this as stock as I can (for as long as I can).

Found a nice A.R.E. topper and a set of tundra steelies on Craigslist locally.
topper.jpg

5N45K95M93Kd3F13N2c6sab83d8f9b12911a9.jpg

Put mini pizza cutters on it today. 215/85r16 approx the same diameter as stock but 2" narrower.

Looks good but why didnt you put the steelies on?

I'm thinking of finding a used set of mudders that are a little bigger to put on them for offroad/camping.

Why such narrow tires?

I went from a 265/75R16, which was alright, to a 245/75R16 and felt the reduction in tire width kind of changed the look of my truck. The wider and bigger 265's would have been better in a 70 profile, but they did rub on the front mudflaps when snow and ice or mud was built up there, didn't like that.

The 245's were closer to the 10.5x31 tiere that would have come on my truck originally, but a tad narrower. I thought the narrower tire would help with steering wander, reduce rolling resistance and further improve economy. But it really had nearly zero effect on any of those items, infact, it seems to follow the lines of the road worse with a narrower tire. And my front end is in good shape, so it is not worn parts or alignment issues, all that is taken care of. But it did make the truck look kind of on stilts or something. The wider body T100 needs a wider tire it seems to look proportional for some reason.

However, the next set of tires I get will probably be 245's again. I have tried to get a set of steelies like what you got. The Sequoia rims the PO put on mine are okay, but the pack and hold snow very badly and get a terrible vibration whenever you have to punch through a snow drift or pile, which I do frequently just to get to town.

I did the hub swap too, really easy as you said. I buffed up the chrome really good and I painted the black ring with a krinkle coat aluminum color, Rustoleum brand, looks pretty nice next to the aluminum rim.

Aside from saving the wear and tear on the front CV's it did nothing for mileage.

MoCoNative said:
Why such narrow tires?

I went from a 265/75R16, which was alright, to a 245/75R16 and felt the reduction in tire width kind of changed the look of my truck. The wider and bigger 265's would have been better in a 70 profile, but they did rub on the front mudflaps when snow and ice or mud was built up there, didn't like that.

The 245's were closer to the 10.5x31 tiere that would have come on my truck originally, but a tad narrower. I thought the narrower tire would help with steering wander, reduce rolling resistance and further improve economy. But it really had nearly zero effect on any of those items, infact, it seems to follow the lines of the road worse with a narrower tire. And my front end is in good shape, so it is not worn parts or alignment issues, all that is taken care of. But it did make the truck look kind of on stilts or something. The wider body T100 needs a wider tire it seems to look proportional for some reason.

However, the next set of tires I get will probably be 245's again. I have tried to get a set of steelies like what you got. The Sequoia rims the PO put on mine are okay, but the pack and hold snow very badly and get a terrible vibration whenever you have to punch through a snow drift or pile, which I do frequently just to get to town.

I like the look and I can feel a difference in pep. I haven't had any wandering issues. Only thing I kind of regret is not upgrading to 235/85r16 skinnies but I didn't need the loss of economy for what the truck is used for.

Bed lined the interior over the past few days wth Monstaliner.
Two coats of chassis saver as a primer:
chassissaver.jpg

three coats white monstaliner:
liner.jpg

The company has got a huge thread on jeepforum and they also have a deal going for members of that site.

Looks great Erik! I miss my green 96 T100....good info on the capability of the backpack hook from the 80 to the T100- noted.

VanGo said:
Looks great Erik! I miss my green 96 T100....good info on the capability of the backpack hook from the 80 to the T100- noted.

Thanks Van. I really miss the 80. The hooks come in handy and seem to fit all the trucks of the 90s-early 00's

Started a weekend project this evening. I removed the bed to clean and bed-line and am going to clean the top of the gas tank and as much frame as possible. At first glance everything looks great. No problems with seized bolts or anything and there wasnt much debris on top of the gas tank. We'll see how it looks when i clean all the new mexican dust off of everything.

opie74 said:
How did the chassis saver go down? Is it pretty straightforward?

Yes. Just brush on. Its made to go over rust so if you put it over paint you have to roughen it up with a scuff pad.

Last edited:
The bed lining is done and it turned out ok. Unfortunately i used old tape when i was masking off for the white liner and it didn't make good lines. I used good tape for the black and it turned out much better. It is Monstaliner. i mixed their tintable white with a little of their desert sand to get a very close color match.
before:
beda.jpg

after:
bedd.jpg

bedc.jpg

bedb.jpg

Temperature was mid 80's with 60% humidity and the white liner cured much quicker than the company has posted on their site. I'm a little worried the coats haven't stuck to each other properly because some of it peeled up around my tape lines. I guess Ill find out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom