Engine swap For LJ78 in Malawi: Advice needed (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum, joined hoping for a bit of help with a project I have. I work as a field biologist with an NGO in Malawi. I was recently assigned the responsibility of sourcing and overseeing the replacement of the engine in our LJ78.

First off, can someone just confirm that this is an LJ78, and the engine is a 2L-TE? For some reason it's registration paperwork says it's a 2003 3.0D. And due to some wonderful records mixups, that's all the information anyone has on it.

From that point, I'd love suggestions on good (ideally cheaper) engines to replace this one. We're going to buy from the South African market. At this point I still don't know the full story on what happened to the engine (staff here rotates out yearly which wreaks hell on our operations continuity). Will update later with more info.

Thanks a ton for any and all help!

I still have my wrenches from fixing our Zephyr in Malawi in ‘75. Phew, long time ago.
I’m a member of this forum, based out of SA. There might be help here too. I will send this along to a friend who might be able to help but we’re in Victoria Canada so only offer advice.

From the pictures, that does appear to be a 2LTE. Is it auto or manual transmission? If manual, swapping new motors in will be easier.

Your cheapest, easiest and most reliable swap option is a 3L (2.8l normally aspirated diesel). The downside is they're a little underpowered. But in Africa that probably doesn't matter. I'm pretty certain they ended up in your market via the early 90's Hilux pick-ups.

Probably the best option for making more power is the 1KZ-T or 1KZTE. These are a 3.0l turbo diesel. Will be more expensive though. And you'll have to change engine mounts. The electronic version will be more involved with wiring changes.

Another option is to find another 2LTE or 2LT-II. The turbo adds a lot of heat to these little motors and can cause less reliability.

Hey sorry for the delay, been in the field. So yes the exact model is a Q-LJ78G-MNT with a 2L-TE, with manual transmission.

I've heard elsewhere as well that the 3Lis a good swap. I'm really interested in making our field vehicle more powerful, so I'll look for a 1KZTE as well. Will there be much more to switch around than the engine mounts? We've got a budget of only about 2000 USD for this project.

Hey sorry for the delay, been in the field. So yes the exact model is a Q-LJ78G-MNT with a 2L-TE, with manual transmission.

I've heard elsewhere as well that the 3Lis a good swap. I'm really interested in making our field vehicle more powerful, so I'll look for a 1KZTE as well. Will there be much more to switch around than the engine mounts? We've got a budget of only about 2000 USD for this project.

3L would be an easy and affordable swap to the 2LTE's manual transmission.

1KZTE will be more expensive to buy, and there will be a lot more electrical work to figure out.

Given your budget, I think I'd recommend sticking to the 3L.

I agree with GTSSportCoupe. With your budget and possibly time at hand, a 3L would be your best option.

As for wanting more power, it seems like you already have all the kit to turbo a 3L. All components can be easily swapped from your old 2L-TE to the 3L giving it a significant increase in power. You could also keep the standard non-compensated pump and turn the fuel up. It will smoke abit when off boost but can be set to run fine on it.

I'm saying this from experience as I have an LJ79 which came with a factory 3L. I am much much happier with it turboed!

Hi, I am looking for guidance. I have a LJ78 with a 2L-TE engine with a 151F manual. The engine is not doing well. I thought of replacing it with a 1KZ-TE because I've read that this engine fits perfectly, works well with the existing trans. I've read that the 1KZ-TE also has head issues, so....I've been looking at 1KD-FTV engines. Will it fit nicely in the LJ78 engine bay, mounts? Will it fit a 151F? Please share your experience. Thank you in advance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom